10g extract batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brrman

Reaction score
I am going through beer so fast I need to step up to 10 gallon batches!

I am in no position to start all grain yet (getting there), so how much recipe alteration is required to do a 10 gallon extract batch? Does anyone actually do 10 gallon extract??

thanks!

I don't know anyone who does 10g extract batches, but the choices I can think of would be:

1) double everything from a 5g batch (extract, steep grains, hops -- 2x but same schedule, boil size, top-up water). This would probably require you to buy a bigger pot

2) Keep the size of the boil the same, but double your extracts and steeping grains. You'll have to more than 2x the hops, because the thicker boil wort will reduce your utilization. So 10 gallons will cost you more than 2x 5 gallons. And obviously, you'll be using more top-up water.

3) Use the same recipes you use for 5g batches, do back-to-back (or side-by-side, if you have two pots) boils, and ferment them together.

Personally, I think I'd go for number 3; even if you only have one pot you're only investing an additional hour or so fro the extra boil.

I plan on going to 10 gal for my next batch. I will do a full boil in my keggle, and probably do late extract addition.

I'm considering pre-dissolving DME in another pot on a different burner while the grains are steeping to save some time, and make the 14lb DME addition a little less nerve racking.

I'm leaning towards 7 gallons in main kettle with grains, and about 10% of my extract and hops for the full boil, and then in the last 15 minutes, adding the 4 gallons of water and the rest of the extract.

I'm just not sure how to adjust the hop schedule with a 7 gallon boil and late addition of 4 gal water+14lb DME. I'm thinking about a 20% reduction from a doubled 5gal recipe, and seeing how it turns out.

cool guys - thanks.
I have come across a keggle, this is why I am asking about the 10g batch. I have the pot - why not double my batch size?

But, if you have the keggle already.....why not go ahead and spend another $40 or so and make a MLT and then go all grain? You can just have your home brew shop crush it for you if you are not ready to get a mill. Just throwing it out here I'm sure you've thought about it already.

I did 1 10gal extract batch while I was converting form extract to all grain. I had the keggle made already, so I figgured why not? Yeah, just double your ingredients and do a full boil in the keggle.

RodfatherX said:
But, if you have the keggle already.....why not go ahead and spend another $40 or so and make a MLT and then go all grain? You can just have your home brew shop crush it for you if you are not ready to get a mill. Just throwing it out here I'm sure you've thought about it already.

For me it's just the time factor. I know AG is better and less expensive to make, but I have way too many irons in the fire to go that route.

My 5 gal brew sessions from start to pitching yeast have been about 3 hrs including clean-up. I usually start around 9pm and finish up around midnight. Can't do that with AG 8)

A friend and I brew 10 gal baches, extract, with normal equipment. We brew roughly 5 gallons during the boil, after the boil we top that up to six gallons, split THAT 3 and 3 into two fermenters, and top those up to 5 gal each. We've focused on good cool ferm temps lately and the results are great.

I did it once before going to all grain and aside from cost, not much different to it if you already have the keggle and propane burner.

Doing 10g extract inside would be a nightmare, but if you can do the full boil, just do the full boil. Just remember you need so have 2-3 gallons of extra water in to account for evaporation. Your keggle/burner will have it's own evap ratio, so you should be able to dial that in pretty good with some trial and error. Just don't put in 10g expecting to get 10g out of it.

After reading more and more on here, doing a batch sparge looks like it'll only take me an hour longer.....HMMMMMMM!!!!.......

Yes, beersmith is great, and at $20, it's a must-have :)

Spames said:
Yes, beersmith is great, and at $20, it's a must-have :)

Is that a better book then "How to Brew"? More detailed or more easily explained...cause reading about AG brewing can get a little cornfusing in this book...at least for me.

Kugster said:
Is that a better book then "How to Brew"? More detailed or more easily explained...cause reading about AG brewing can get a little cornfusing in this book...at least for me.

beersmith is software that helps calculate every aspect of your batch, from how much water to use in-boil to how much hops and malt to use to reach your target, etc. It will also store all your recipes and brew data. It's free for 21 days, and after that, I think it's $20.

I think someone said same size boil just pour in more extract and steeped grains.
Wouldnt this cause way more scorching or caramelization? Maybe not a big deal but still. Probably should look into a late extract edition.

You would do two kits and and do a full boil. So 2 kits worth of ingredients and about 12-13 gallons total boil volume., Cool, and ferment

Back