100% Vienna Malt in Munich Helles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thethirstyweasel

Reaction score
Looking forward to cooler temps and thinking of doing some lagers during the cold weather, my mind turns to helles. Most recipes I have ever seen call for 100% pilsner malt and usually decoction, or they do single infusion or a step mash and use a bit of Munich, Vienna, or a pinch of Melanoidin malt in the grist. I am wondering about just using ~100% Vienna malt. I know there is a lot of SMaSH Vienna malt experiments that have been conducted and reported on here at HBT that have been raving success stories. While I have yet to do one yet, I have no doubt this is the case. What I am wondering is can a beer made this way be considered a Munich Helles or is there a character or lack of by this technique that would make it stylistically inappropriate?
Weez

Call it what you want, but it is probably a Vienna lager with that grist

I agree, that seems like a Vienna lager, which is still a good beer. If you want a good Helles recipe, I have one that did really well in a local competition. It's mostly pilsner malt. I can send you the recipe if interested.

I know what your saying but @ 10 SRM being the low end for color on a Vienna lagerwouldn't you be way under using 100% Vienna malt, I'm thinking it would be 5ish SRM @ the darkest without using a little carfa or something to get the color right?
:mug:
Weez

I personally think the lower bound of 10 SRM for a Vienna lager is nuts, and I know I'm not alone in that. Using 100% Vienna will make you a good beer, but the malt character will be very different than a Helles.

Think the srm for all Vienna is closer to 4... Which falls in line with a Helles. I bet it would make a great Helles. If not maybe half and half with pils malt.

Looking forward to cooler temps and thinking of doing some lagers during the cold weather, my mind turns to helles. Most recipes I have ever seen call for 100% pilsner malt and usually decoction, or they do single infusion or a step mash and use a bit of Munich, Vienna, or a pinch of Melanoidin malt in the grist. I am wondering about just using ~100% Vienna malt. I know there is a lot of SMaSH Vienna malt experiments that have been conducted and reported on here at HBT that have been raving success stories. While I have yet to do one yet, I have no doubt this is the case. What I am wondering is can a beer made this way be considered a Munich Helles or is there a character or lack of by this technique that would make it stylistically inappropriate?
Weez

Can you call it a helles? Sure but as has already been said it's going to be a Vienna. If you made a turkey sandwich with roast beef what would you call that?

As long as you aren't concerned with entering in a competition as a helles, make it, drink it, and call it whatever you like.

Thank you for the comments, I don't enter competitions.
I think I'm going to try a 100% Vienna malt, I think I may call it Beer.:ban: I will probably brew a more traditional Helles recipe and compare the differences/similarities so that I will know for myself and be able to share the information with others that are interested.
weez

I agree, that seems like a Vienna lager, which is still a good beer. If you want a good Helles recipe, I have one that did really well in a local competition. It's mostly pilsner malt. I can send you the recipe if interested.
please do send the recipe I may give it a shot
Thanks
weez

For what it's worth, I just did a 95% Vienna / 5% Dark Munich. 2 days bubbling. SRM is too low to be "in style" for a Vienna, and at 1.054, it's also a bit too big. I'd still call it a Vienna, I guess, but that's besides the point. Make what sounds good, and like you said, just call it beer.

Latest posts

Back