$100 to spend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prickle

Reaction score
I've been thinking of going all-grain, though 100 clams isn't going to get me all the tools I need (namely, a larger brewpot and a mash/lauter tun).

The other option I'm considering is getting a carboy or better bottle and a brewkit. Right now I only have buckets, and though adequate, I would like to see the fermentation process.

Thoughts?

Buckets work just fine, I actually prefer them over glass carboys for primaries. With $100 you can easily build a cooler-type MLT and maybe even a bigger brewpot.

If it were me I would save the $100, and save up more to afford all the All Grain equipment I needed. I only use buckets btw.

I would go for the AG equipment: burner and pot from Home despot or amazon ($100) total if you dont have a propane tank. Start doing full volume boils. Then pickup a 10 gall cooler from HD at the end of the season, hopefully on clearance and go from there.

I love buckets for the ferment. I never look at the carboys anyhow... patience is all you need.

I built my mash tun for
10G cooler $30 home depot <--expensive
hardware $17
so thats $47 so far

Turkey frier with 30qrt pot $30 at lowes

$77 and theres your AG.Of course you can spend a lot more if you want a 3 tier system with a march pump and all the bells and whistles.unless you have your heart set on a HERMS/RIMS system then thats all you need to make great beer!

EDIT: that is'nt including a propane tank so depending where you are thats another $30 so what 107 over 100?

Thanks folks. I live in an apartment, so propane is out for me. Think I'll go for the larger pot first and make sure I can get a full volume boil on the stove.

I got a pot from walmart that was a 40 quart tamale steamer... aluminum, not too thick, but it works fine. I did several boils in it until I went to propane a a keggle. Now I use it for my HLT.

Thanks folks. I live in an apartment, so propane is out for me. Think I'll go for the larger pot first and make sure I can get a full volume boil on the stove.

If you're going with a full boil on a stovetop, I'd recommend using 2 more modest sized pots and splitting the boil between them (maybe 4-5 gallons each). I suspect you'll have a hard time getting 6+ gallons to boil on the stovetop. I did this for years of apt living. It works perfectly well.

Back