100 Shilling Scotch Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhoobarb

Reaction score
This will be next up for me. I'll be brewing this Labor Day weekend (gotta skip this weekend - having a very special ladyfriend over Saturday for BBQ chicken & ribs on my smoker ;) )

Scotch Ale is one of my all-time favorites. When I was in Columbus, Ohio on business about five years ago, we went to dinner at a brewpub/micro named Hoster Brewing. I ordered their 90 Shilling Scottish Ale with dinner. It was excellent. I ordered another. And another. And another. I bought two sixers as I left town! I think that's when and where I fell for this ale! Sadly, Hoster's is closed now. I had heard they might continue as a micro only, but don't know if that actually happened.

I've done two extract Scotch Ales that turned out very good. This will be my first AG. I based it on a Traquair House clone and a couple of others I stumbled across, as well as my old extract recipe.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. :D
~~~~~~
Mark's 100 Shilling Scotch Ale
Recipe 2005 by Mark Pannell

OG: 1.094 FG: 1.020 ABV = 10.0% IBU: 29.5 SRM: 19.4

Grains:
15 lbs. Marris Otter British 2-row pale malt (5.0-L)
1 lb. CaraVienne (20-L)
1/2 lb. 2-Row Belgian CaraPils (5.9-L)
3 oz. roasted barley (575-L)

Bittering hops:
1 oz. Fuggle [4.1% AAU] (45 mins.)

Flavoring hops:
.75 oz. East Kent Goldings [5.9% AAU] (35 mins.)

Finishing hops:
1 oz. East Kent Goldings [5.9% AAU] (15 mins.)

Fining agent:
1 tsp. Irish moss (15 mins.)

Misc. Procedures:
Smoke 2 lbs. of the Marris Otter 2-row using hickory pellets at 225oF for 2 hours.

Yeast:
White Labs WLP028 Edinburgh Ale yeast (from previous cake)

Primary:
5 days at 68oF

Secondary:
14 days at 68oF

Total boil:
90 minutes

Heat ~4.8 gallons of water to ~170oF. Mash grains at ~155oF for 90 minutes. Collect 1 gallon of the first runnings and boil to reduce by half, stirring constantly. Recirculate remaining mash, ~20-30 minutes. Sparge with ~5 gallons of 173o F water until clear. Add hops and Irish moss to schedule above. Cool wort to ~68o F and pitch yeast. Bottle when beer falls clear. Prime with 1-1/4 cups plain light DME.

~~~~~~

You gonna smoke the grains while you're doin your chicken and ribs?

Your extract batches, were they pretty good after 3 weeks in the bottle?

No, I'm gonna smoke the grains separately.

For one thing, I want to smoke the food with a combo of pecan and mesquite pellets. The grains will be smoked with hickory. But I've now began thinking about a combo of hickory and oak pellets - still debating...

Secondly, and more importantly... I don't have the Marris Otter 2-row in my possesion yet! :p

To answer your other question: They were okay after three weeks, but add another three weeks (6 wks.) and they were much better. I'd recommend a long, cool bottle conditioning. 6-8 weeks would be ideal, IMHO!

And another thing... I'd greatly reduce the peat smoked malt to 3-4 oz. Or, eliminate it altogether and either smoke my grains or add liquid smoke at bottling (after tasting, of course!)

I don't know how close to style you want to get, but scotch/scottish ales don't usually use much (if any) in the way of flavor or aroma hops.

Rhoobarb, it looks good enough to try as my next batch. I am ready to attempt some fruit experimentations. Instead of smoke can you recommend a fruit substitute or is that just plain silly with this style of beer?

Fruit? Well, this is a pretty malty beer and fruit may or may not work in this style. Never attempted it myselft. I would consider maybe 9-10 lbs. of puree with a flavor strong enough to stand out. Maybe peaches or strawberries? :confused:

:D Thats it then...Peaches! Give me a few weeks to go to the HBS and I will let you know how it going. I ve got a good feeling about this one. :rolleyes: :p thanxs Daneaux

i would skip the smoked malt. with the marris otter and the edinburg yeast, it is not really necessary. it will probably be overpowering. other that that it looks great!. maybe go a little longer in the primary.

Back