100% Brett Trois "golden" strong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spelaeus

Reaction score
Originally posted this in the Recipes/Ingredients forum but realized this was likely a better place for it. Looking for a fruity but dry or semi-dry showing of brett trois. Golden ale with golden naked oats, nelson sauvin (minimal bittering), and raspberries in secondary. Any thoughts?

https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/bastard-framboise

I think a 100% trois golden strong will be mostly lacking in belgian characteristics. I tried to use it to make a saison and it just tasted like bland fruitiness. You can go ahead and try. I'd maybe suggest to split the batch and ferment one half with something like the duvel strain and the other half with the brett in case you don't like it.

Hm, I'll certainly take that into consideration. I'm basing it somewhat off of this: http://www.bear-flavored.com/2012/11/bear-flavored-100-brett-trois-farmhouse.html, which seems as though it came out fairly well. Perhaps the key is having enough tartness and body to bolster the fruitiness (I don't really want to go the brett trois IPA route and balance with bitter)? I was hoping to get a bit of tartness from the raspberries and I would consider using some acidulated malt though I don't love the idea of using acidulated as even a mild flavoring agent... Maybe I'll taste before bottling and if it seems insipid, make a small batch of sour mash, boil it, add it in, and give the brett another few weeks to chew through anything left in there?

Note: I'm not exactly expecting too much of specifically Belgian-y yeast profile, I more wanted something that showcased brett trois' profile without going the IPA or bitter route. This is only my second batch of beer though, so it's entirely possible I'm just barking up the wrong tree.

Well then go for it and rock on. Only way to know if what you want is what you are making is to make it and adjust as necessary. Other than double checking about whether you were looking for a Belgian golden strong while using trois I have no input to dissuade your current path.

Pretty aggressive plan for a new brewer. I'd recommend investigating the flavors you're proposing. Consider doing three small batches: one with just Belgian yeast, one with the Brett T, and a sour mash fermented with a clean yeast. When they're done, before carbonating, taste each separately and try combinations of the three at different proportions.

Train your palate. You'll learn alot from the experiment.

Well, my palate at least I trust fairly well. New brewer, but I hung out at a local brewery for roughly a year with a weekly bottle share before starting on my own, which helped a LOT in getting a grasp of what results different ingredients and techniques produce. And... I admit, I like doing wacky ****. My general desire is to brew the sorts of experimental beers that I wish more commercial breweries were willing or able to do (given market pressures). My first beer was a sort of Mexican hot chocolate imperial oatmeal stout with cocoa nibs, cinnamon, ancho peppers, and vanilla beans that I was pretty pleased with.

The blending plan does sound like a good one, though. My main concern is that blending this with anything fermented with saccharomyces will cause the brett to start metabolizing saccharomyces byproducts as happens when brett is used as a secondary yeast, which would give me some unpredictable brett funk (not something I mind, but not what I'm looking for this time) as well as requiring a significantly longer secondary fermentation than I'm wanting this time around. At least from the research I've done, it seems like a 100% brett fermentation can be finished in roughly the same time frame as a saccharomyces fermentation, but as soon as you start blending the two you're looking at a good 4-6 months at least if you want to be able to have any sort of predictable bottle carbing. But again, I could easily be off base on all of this.

The recipe has changed a bit. GNOs were too tough to source locally so it's got a bit of honey malt and victory now instead. Honestly... I'm not sure what to call this at this point. The grain bill was initially based off of a golden strong ale, that's about it. But I don't think this one is going to fit any particular style. Wild ale, maybe? But I feel that implies more funk/sour than this would have. Either way, I'm loving the yeast. Even the starter tasted good and after a night of bubbling my whole basement is smelling like fruit salad.

Back