100% brett recipe ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rats_eyes

Reaction score
I recently made my first 100% bret beer, an ameican pale using Brett C (whitelabs). It came out really well, so I'm keen to try some more. I'm considering an ESB, as I've never tried one with brett and think this could compliment some aspects of the style.

Do any of you have any other tried and tested styles that work with brett as the primary yeast?

I like using a saison base recipe. I recently brewed a simple saison grain bill and used TYB's Amalgamation blend. It turned out great.

The problem with an ESB (or any other non-highly hopped) light grist ale, is that it will probably just taste like a brett saison (which ain't a bad thing, but maybe not what you intended). Brett IPAs work great - the hops distinguish it from brett saison. I just fermented a gallon of marzen wort with brett B - don't expect it to taste like a marzen, but excited to see a amber brett saison of sorts! Anybody ever tried a brett stout or porter?

I drank a 100% Brett old ale recently which was really nice.

Apparently 100% Brett turns to mild funk whilst keeping a lot of its fruity esters when it ages.
Which is what I would say I tasted, worked nicely with the dark malts too.

I personally can't see how you would get an all Brett esb to work unless there is a Brett strain out there which has a similar flavour profile to English yeast.
Would love to know if people have ideas though.

My idea with the ESB is that the fruity brett flavour might be complimentary, though it will no longer be an ESB. I'm interested to see how brett will work with a recipe I have and not really concerned with style guidelines. I'll possibly caramelise some wort to try and strengthen the malty back bone against the brett.

I like the idea of an old ale. I might consider this as a follow up brew to be dumped on to yeast cake

Latest posts

Back