10 Gallon Kettle on KAB4 Banjo Burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onewill

Reaction score
Hi guys/girls! First time poster here.

I’m in the process of purchasing equipment for a transition into all-grain.

I plan on sticking with 5-6 gallon batches and am looking at an SS BrewTech 10 gallon kettle.

My only concern is with the size of the kettle (13.8” diameter) on the 10” banjo burner. Will flames lick up the sides and damage or discolour the kettle?

I could get a 15 gallon kettle for the same price, but would have to accept a downgrade to 200 series stainless steel and no volume markings.

Is my concern warranted?

I used 10 gallon kettles atop a pair of similar burners for years with no problems.
I did use a heat shield under the ball valve/thermometer/sight glass area, but I still do that with my 20 gallon kettles...

Cheers!

Do propane burners cause soot build-up on the underside of kettles?
Mine always did. One of the many reasons I went electric. Tune your burners to run as clean as possible, then use the old Boy Scout trick of coating the bottom and sides of your kettle with soap. The soot will wash right off.

I have the KAB4 and a 10 gallon kettle and it works great! I used to use a turkey fryer burner from my dad's kit and the difference in noise level is remarkable. You can barely hear the KAB4 at a nice rolling boil and it does have some wind protection.

My kettle has gotten some soot and/or scorch marks on the bottom and just above, but I haven't tried to clean it off since it doesn't bother me.

I run a pair of properly tuned Blichmann burners and have never found soot under my kettles.
They run as clean as my kitchen range - and that doesn't make soot, either...

Cheers!

Is your Blichmann running on propane though? Kitchen ranges are usually natural gas, which is very clean.

Both run on propane - we live out where NG doesn't roam.
The [fancy ss samsung 5 burner] range came with a full set of orifices that just needed to be swapped in.
A bit of tweaking to set the simmer levels and it was good to go.
And it burns at least as clean as any NG range I've ever used...

Cheers!

Back