10 Gallon Cooler Mash Tun help!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tezcatlipoca

Reaction score
Hi again guys,

So, I'm an extract brewer who is looking to get into all grain. I was given two kegs and have begun converting them into a boil kettle and mash tun. Told a buddy about this and he said I can use his spare round cooler mash tun until I get mine up and running(might take a little while as I'm welding couplings in). This was convenient as I have a festival upcoming that I wanted to do an all grain brew before.

I've done several collaboration all grain brews, so I prepared to try to make it go smoothly. Check the mash fun for leaks, etc. I was very happy about the temperature of mash water. It started at 168, went down to 156 after adding grain, and I was aiming for 155. After an hour mash, it dropped to 155. After such a smooth brew day so far, disaster hit. Stuck mash. Not my first time dealing with it, and I had three buddies(not brewers) helping me diagnose the problem.

The problem: when the grain rested on the false bottom, it would push the center extractor hole to the bottom of cooler, sealing the false bottom and preventing draining. We were able to simulate this with pure water and slightly pushing down on false bottom. Adding magnets to the securing nut but then the sides of the false bottom would lift up. After a 5 hour brew day, I poured it out. I would've had to strain it, but I didn't have that kinda time!

My question: is there a more appropriately domed flase bottom for my mash tun? The mash tun is a Lowe's 10 gallon cooler and the bottom is domed in the same fashion as the false bottom, which is what created the problem. The false bottom was also a little small. Would a bigger one do it?(people who have this cooler!). Do they make extra domed false bottoms?

I appreciate the help with this problem. Honestly, I really appreciated the equipment loan and putting a better false bottom in it would be well worth my time!

I've heard of this happening before. Maybe try adding some stainless washers under it or silicone hose to prevent it from collapsing.

Ok, I had some time to go by my LHBS, I compared the false bottom I was given to theirs. Theirs were much more domed and much sturdier. I'm not sure which seller this small one came from, but I don't see how it could ever work as a false bottom. I bought the $40 false bottom, payment for using this mash tun until I get my keggle up and going. Now, let's get back to this vanilla jalapeño cream ale we were making!

Back