10 day active ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd820

Reaction score
Brewed up a 1.070 IPA 10 days ago that took off like a rocket - I mean, totally blew the top off my carboy.... twice! I had 3.5 days of volcanic fermentation which finally slowed. Temp dropped, so I relocated to a warmer part of the house to finish off. That was 5 days ago! I am still seeing activity in my airlock 10 days post pitch. Does this seem odd to anyone but me? I would have thought nothing of it had the initial fermentation not taken off so vigorously and for 3 solid days.

Warmer temps will allow more co2 to release from solution...appearing like fermentation if you are simply watching the airlock.

Take a gravity reading to get a better idea of fermentation status.

My current batch took off like a rocket too with Wyeast 1056--SG 1.063. I'm fermenting at 66F. It was still going when I dumped the dry hops in 14 days later--although it was just about done--the krausen was only just starting to drop.
Nothing surprises me anymore. I just let stuff happen. Enjoy.

-Cheers.

I had a 1.074 belgian do something similar. Had the blow-off tube in place thankfully, so no disaster there. Krausen was around 1.5" steady for 12 hours around the 36-48 hour mark, so I swapped the tube for an airlock. 2 days later it was about 1/2" krausen, took this as my sign to ramp temp up as is popular with the style. It kept that 1/2 krausen (confirmed fermentation with yeast doing their whirlpool party) for over 2 weeks more! Another week it settled down, another week now and there is no krausen no yeast movement.

Not too worried as others have commented that this strain (Wyeast 3787) tends to have that style. Just wasn't fully expecting it out of the starting gates.

Latest posts

Back