10-10-10 style poll

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What style should we use for 10-10-10?

• Wee Heavy

• Belgian IIPA

• Belgian Strong Golden

• Double Bock

• Belgian Triple

• Imperial Porter/Baltic Porter

• Something sour

• we don't need no stinkin' style

• Leave it to Castro

• You forgot the only style I want to brew, so I am taking my marbles and going home!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
I still am not convinced HBT should be run in a democratic way. Tyranny of the masses and all that...

OK, here is the deal. Vote for the style you want for our 10-10-10 brew. This poll will run for 2 weeks. The POLL results will settle the style issue and THEN we will move into recipes. (Unless somebody has a better idea of how to settle this thing - we are a democracy after all!)

I still am not convinced HBT should be run in a democratic way. Tyranny of the masses and all that...

OK, here is the deal. Vote for the style you want for our 10-10-10 brew. This poll will run for 2 weeks. The POLL results will settle the style issue and THEN we will move into recipes. (Unless somebody has a better idea of how to settle this thing - we are a democracy after all!)

Hey, a POLL would be good to have with this :mug: (at the time of posting, no poll was present.)

Recent discussion seems to show that BGSA holds the lead - but I'm for anything 'epic' enough to be worthy of the name. We've done an American barleywine, why not an English this time around?

I will throw in my tuppence and say that 'epic' doesn't necessarily have to mean something with mind-numbing ABV. ;)

But since we're reserving 11/11/11 for a sour/buggy beer, I'll shut up now. :drunk:

I voted for the sour, but would also go Belgian Strong. I think sour would really come out the most different of all of the beers.

I will throw in my tuppence and say that 'epic' doesn't necessarily have to mean something with mind-numbing ABV. ;)

I'll second that. Complex procedures, unusual ingredients, or a hard to replicate style are all epic as well.

BGSA seems to have a lead :drunk: and fits in the latter. It's big and boozy but there isn't any room for flaws, your process had better be dialed in or it will taste like hooch.

I voted Wee Heavy, but would be good with the BSG. I've not got too much experience with the Belgian styles is all. I'm more of the dark ale kind of guy :)

I voted Wee Heavy, but would be good with the BSG. I've not got too much experience with the Belgian styles is all. I'm more of the dark ale kind of guy :)

I can say lightly oaking a golden Belgian ale makes for a pretty freakin' tasty brew, though it does definitely need to be aged for a year (or more). Adding some Brettanomyces in secondary also would help dry it out and build some additional character for those who feel brave...

I agree with the "epic" comment and am looking to make a brew that can age and continue to develop complexity. Which ever style we pick needs be designed towards that end - quality. choice ingredients, and brewing process and practices that make the most of those ingredients!

I agree with the "epic" comment and am looking to make a brew that can age and continue to develop complexity. Which ever style we pick needs be designed towards that end - quality. choice ingredients, and brewing process and practices that make the most of those ingredients!

To further these very salient points, I suggest looking ahead to special yeast releases from White Labs and Wyeast to make this beer truly unique and memorable. That may help steer the development of a recipe as well. For example, the Trappist Blend from Wyeast has some interesting possibilities. Or even a 100% Brett beer. Just spitballing ideas.

Another thought just popped into my brain but the logistics may be challenging - blending. We could partner with another HBTer and develop two recipes that would be complementary or unique to each other in blending. Exchange enough of each base recipe and blend in the glass for a true limited-edition brew.

Whaddya say?

Belgian Golden Strong. I've been wanting to brew this style for a while, but have never gotten around to it. I'd love to try my hand at a new style, and one I love the commercial examples I've tried.

I'll probably make a 10 gallon batch, and use two different yeast strains and send a bomber of each. Maybe oak one a bit, too...who knows!

To further these very salient points, I suggest looking ahead to special yeast releases from White Labs and Wyeast to make this beer truly unique and memorable. That may help steer the development of a recipe as well. For example, the Trappist Blend from Wyeast has some interesting possibilities. Or even a 100% Brett beer. Just spitballing ideas.

Another thought just popped into my brain but the logistics may be challenging - blending. We could partner with another HBTer and develop two recipes that would be complementary or unique to each other in blending. Exchange enough of each base recipe and blend in the glass for a true limited-edition brew.

Whaddya say?

A PIA, but so worth it if the right two styles for blending are picked :mug:.

I make 7 for the IIPA.
Has anyone tried the 080808 Stone Vertical Epic? It is amazing, and over a year old I might add. (The other 6 that voted IIPA are probably STONE-heads like me)

I just dropped $5 on a bottle of Delirium Tremens last week, my first beer of this style. I have to say I don't get it.:( It was ok, it tasted like over carbed fruity champaign. I gave swmbo the rest and she said it tatsed like apfelwein. She loved it.

I may go for it, may not.

I make 7 for the IIPA.
Has anyone tried the 080808 Stone Vertical Epic? It is amazing, and over a year old I might add. (The other 6 that voted IIPA are probably STONE-heads like me)

My father-in-law has a 5 year vertical going on the Stone Vertical Epics. He has 4 bottle from each year. I married into a good family!

We had floated the idea of an Oktoberfest and other lagers in the past but had the idea shot down because too many people do not have the temperature control to carry these beers off. I would love to do some epic lagers.

My father-in-law has a 5 year vertical going on the Stone Vertical Epics. He has 4 bottle from each year. I married into a good family!

I didn't discover the series until 2005 and didn't buy until 06. I have about a case of each 06, 07, and 08. I brewed the 04 and have a couple of those left. I have seen single bottles of the 02 going for $500-1000 EACH!

The beauty is, Stone provides the homebrew recipe for each year. The 08 was a beautiful Belgian IIPA and the recipe is sitting right on their website. We could take that and make it our own (or get inspiration from it).

Stone's 080808 Vertical Epic Belgian IIPA

Grain:
Pale Malt 87%
Flaked Oats 6.5%
Light Candi Sugar Syrup 5.5% (added to boiling wort)
Blonde Candi Sugar Powder 1.0% (added to boiling wort)

Hops:
Boil:
Simcoe hop pellets 2.71 grams/gallon (.095 oz/ gallon)
Amarillo hop pellets 2.71 grams/gallon (.095 oz/ gallon)

Whirlpool (or end of boil) for flavor:
Ahtanum hop pellets 5.42 grams/gallon (.19 oz/gallon)

Dry-Hopping:
Simcoe hop pellets 2.71 grams/gallon (.095 oz/ gallon)
Amarillo hop pellets 2.71 grams/gallon (.095 oz/ gallon)

Yeast:
White Labs WLP 570 (Belgian Golden Ale Yeast)

Starting Gravity 19.0°P (1.076 SG)
Terminal Gravity 1.9°P (1.008 SG)
ABV 8.9%
IBU 65

I make 7 for the IIPA.

Havn't had that beer but I will try to see if I can find it. I voted for the Belgian IIPA after trying Houblon Chouffe. I'm not a huge fan of Belgian Tripel or Golden Ales but this beer was incredible.

I didn't see the Belgian Dark Strong as a choice either. I find that style to be much more complex and interesting than the Golden Strongs. But then again that is try of most styles. I prefer the dark beers to the goldens.

<edit> The recipe you posted looks like it is nearly the same as the ingredients listed on the Chouffe bottle. The gravity, IBUs, and hops choices all appear to line up. Was this by chance a collaboration?

Craig

Pale malt? Think that means pilsner?

Wouldn't surprise me if the actual Stone beer used American 2-row. Probably use the same base malt for all their beers and the 2-row is light enough you can get away with it. For a large commercial brewer like Stone consistency is important and switching up base malts would make it a little more difficult to get consistent results through their process.

Course it could be a typo too ;)

Craig

I would assume they are using their base malt like Craig suggested. But who knows?! With what they are getting for bombers of Epic I would think they could afford whatever base malt they wanted!

I voted for the Belgian Triple. A Triple X brew for the date X-X-X.
FAB0AG8F3ER7WNSMEDIUM.jpg

I would assume they are using their base malt like Craig suggested. But who knows?! With what they are getting for bombers of Epic I would think they could afford whatever base malt they wanted!

From their website....

"We used American 2 Row malt, but Canadian 2 Row or Pilsner malt are both good substitutes."

Here is the story of how they were inspired to brew the 080808

"Our seventh version of the Vertical Epic series was inspired by some of the wonderful Belgian beers that Steve and I tasted during our trips to Europe to brew &#8220;Stone California Double IPA&#8221; at the Shepherd-Neame brewery in Kent, England. This ale was served at the J.D. Wetherspoons pub chain during their International Real Ale Fest in March of 2008, and was great to brew and a very fun project, but that&#8217;s another story.
Brussels is about a 2 hour train ride from London (going through the &#8220;Chunnel&#8221;) so one weekend while we were in England, we decided to shift gears from our steady diet of cask-conditioned English Ales and make the quick trip to Belgium. We had many great beers during the 2 day visit, as well as nice tours of Palm Brewery and Cantillon. And don&#8217;t ever miss the Belga Café in Brussels-the hand pumped Boon Gueuze was unbelievable! One of the best beers we had was a rare bottle given to us by Glenn Payne, one of our companions for the trip. We brought this bottle of Duvel Triple Hop back to Escondido with us and Steve and I tasted it with Greg and John Egan, and pretty much decided right then and there to brew a hoppy Belgian Golden for our 2008 Epic.
We wanted to brew a beer that demonstrated some of the same flavor characteristics: dry, crisp, intense Belgian tropical fruit and clove yeast character, and citrus-derived complexity provided by American hops used at a fairly high rate (not unusual for us, by any means!). And despite the hop shortages we are struggling through, we said &#8220;damn the torpedoes&#8221; and brewed 12 batches of this strong Belgian Golden Ale that comes in at 65 IBU&#8217;s, and is dry hopped with a blend of Simcoe and Amarillo hops.
Here is the homebrew recipe for this beer. The hops may be hard to come by, but I can say that we ran trials with many hop varieties, and they all worked! Some better than others, but if you dry-hop with a good high-alpha American hop, you are going to be happy with the results! "

--www.StoneBrewery.com--

Back