10.10.10 Recipe Discussion Thread - The HBT Anniversary Series

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only problem I see w/ either of those recipes is the amount of sugar. I think that needs to be scalable too so people aren't putting 3# in a 2.5gal batch. Or at least state what size batch 3# is for.

Everybody keeps asking for a definitive, 'final' recipe. So I think we need to state one and then if anyone has any problems with it, speak up now or forever hold your peace.

The latest 'BGSA' recipe was:
94% Pils
3% Munich
3% Wheat malt
approx. 3# cane sugar

1.100 OG
1.010 FG

50 IBU with a decent amount of flavor/aroma hops.
predicted SRM = ~5

The latest 'Belgian Specialty Ale' recipe was:
73% Pils
13.5% Munich
13.5% Wheat malt
approx. 3# cane sugar

1.100 OG
1.010 FG

52 IBU with some flavor/aroma hops
predicted SRM = ~8.75

Is there a preference between these two?
I slightly prefer the 'BGSA' recipe just because I keep reading that these brews are all about Pils/yeast. However, we are already out of the style guideline so I can understand the desire to further deviate.

I also prefer the BGSA.

I'm for either, really, but partial to the Golden Strong Ale.

Depending on which we go with, I may partigyle a Specialty Ale off of the BGSA's grist and include that in my packages as well. :)

The only problem I see w/ either of those recipes is the amount of sugar. I think that needs to be scalable too so people aren't putting 3# in a 2.5gal batch. Or at least state what size batch 3# is for.

Yeah, would probably be better to state the sugar as a percentage also.

I think the BGSA would then become something like:

80.5% Pilsner
3% Munich
3% Wheat
13.5% sugar.

Which for my 10 gallon calculations works out to:

Code:
StrangeBrew J v.2.0.1 recipe text output

Details:
Name: 10-10-10 Belgian Golden Strong
Brewer: Chris Miller
Size: 10.0 gallons US
Style: Belgian Golden Strong Ale
OG: 1.100,	FG:1.010, 	Alc:12.0, 	IBU:36.3
(Alc method: by Volume; IBU method: Tinseth)

Yeast: Wyeast 3739-PC Flanders Golden Ale

Fermentables:
Name                           amount units  pppg    lov   %
Munich Light                     1.12    lb 1.033    8.0   3.0%
Pils 2-Row                      30.00    lb 1.035    1.2  80.5%
Wheat Malt                       1.12    lb 1.039    1.7   3.0%
White Cane Sugar (Gran)          5.00    lb 1.042    0.0  13.4%

plus clearly there is a rounding error showing up in my software since that only adds up to 99.9%.

I vote BGSA with a % put on the sugar, especially since I've never added any to the brew. Does that go in to the boil or fermentor?

I vote BGSA with a % put on the sugar, especially since I've never added any to the brew. Does that go in to the boil or fermentor?

I've put it in the boil in the past, but I am planning to add the sugar to the fermenter for this one. I'm planning to wait until high krausen and then add some or all of the sugar. I haven't decided whether I will do it incrementally or all at once.

I'm going to brew this on Sunday since I need to rack my Belgian Pale Ale off the yeast cake.

I'll be adding sugar to the primary at the peak of fermentation too, in hopes the lower OG the yeast are pitched into, and letting them reproduce and eat a bunch of the complex sugars before being exposed to the simple sugar lets them attenuate the full 90%.

Any thoughts on water chemistry for this masterpiece? I know my local tap water is not really suited for paler colored beers so I'm looking at diluting tap water with distilled water(50/50) then adding back 6 grams of Calcium Chloride and 6 grams gypsum. That would give me a RA of -25 and a Chloride/Sulfate ratio of 98/151. That puts me in the appropriate color range (3-8 SRM) and the Chloride/Sulfate ratio is appropriate for a moderately bitter beer.

Any other thoughts?

You'll want a fairly soft water profile for this beer. Not necessarily Pilsen soft but soft.

Beer Smith lists Antwerp, Belgium for the Belgian water profile style with the following numbers...

Calcium: 90.0 ppm
Sulfate: 84.0 ppm
Magnesium: 11.0 ppm
Chloride: 57.0 ppm
Sodium: 37.0 ppm
Bicarbonate: 76.0 ppm
PH: 8.0

You'll want a fairly soft water profile for this beer. Not necessarily Pilsen soft but soft.

Beer Smith lists Antwerp, Belgium for the Belgian water profile style with the following numbers...

Calcium: 90.0 ppm
Sulfate: 84.0 ppm
Magnesium: 11.0 ppm
Chloride: 57.0 ppm
Sodium: 37.0 ppm
Bicarbonate: 76.0 ppm
PH: 8.0

Thanks, StrangeBrew Java doesn't have Antwerp so I'll be adding that in the next 5 min or so :D I had been working from Palmer's spreadsheet starting from my waters stats and the desired color. I'll see what SB comes up with.

Edit: So I plug those numbers into Palmer's spreadsheet as well as those for my tap water and it says my effective hardness is lower than Antwerp's. And to get to nearly the same RA and Chloride/Sulfate ratio as Antwerp I still dilute 50/50 and add 6 grams each of Calcium Chloride and gypsum.

So what's the consensus? What's going to be brewed and do we need a clean sticky with the parameters, recipe...etc...etc...?

If it's going to be a GSA, maybe we tap into a proven recipe from Jamil (et al) and tweak it for our HBT event. Normally we use a recipe as a guideline and individual brewers can do what they like.

So what's the consensus? What's going to be brewed and do we need a clean sticky with the parameters, recipe...etc...etc...?

If it's going to be a GSA, maybe we tap into a proven recipe from Jamil (et al) and tweak it for our HBT event. Normally we use a recipe as a guideline and individual brewers can do what they like.

As it stands, I'm the only one who has proposed and scaled any sort of recipe. The original Devil May Cry (the starting point for the 10.10.10) was adapted from Vinnie Cilurzo's Golden Strong as listed in Brew Like A Monk.

Sorry I've been absent over the last week - I've just returned from vacation in Saranac Lake and have lots of forum postings/emails to catch up on.

Just tasted the belgian pale I'm using to build up the Flanders Golden Ale yeast, and wow! That yeast tastes great! It's so floral and aromatic. No harsh or overwhelming esters or phenols like some belgians, just soft, sweet, delicious aromas and flavors. I think I have a new favorite yeast! I can't wait until this beer is done.

So I brewed up a Belgian Golden Strong today. :D

I'll keep an eye on this thread and if mine falls near the guidelines, I will probably participate in the swap. With the fall semester of grad school nearing, I have to try to get a few brews going before the semester starts.

I went with a slight variation of Flyangler's proposed recipe.

Here's what I did:
Note: I get 65% mash efficiency.
13 lbs pilner
.5 lbs munich
.25 lbs wheat malt
1 oz. Magnum 12.9% at 60 min.
1 oz. Czech Saaz at 20 min.
1 oz. Czech Saaz at 0 min.

3 lbs cane sugar will be added at peak fermentation activity (probably tomorrow night or Tuesday).

Mashed at 149 for 90 minutes. Boiled ~110 minutes due to a little extra sparge water. Gravity was right at 1.064 (before any sugar has been added).

I made a Belgian Pale Ale using Wyeast 1388 and removed a little bit of the yeast cake to save in two jars. The rest of the yeast remained in the carboy and I racked the BGSA on top of it. Hydro sample looked nice and pale gold. The Belgian PA tasted great!

I'm planning to let the BGSA ferment in the mid 60s for two days and then I will remove it from the water and let it sit at room temp for at least two weeks. I will keep an eye on temps and may warm it up with a root ball warmer to get it to ~80 for the last week. Once it's done with primary, I'm hoping to lager it in secondary for a month, then I'll add some of the saved yeast and bottle.

If it drops to 1.010, this brew will be at 10.1%

We had a poll thread and the winner was GSA. A clean sticky sounds good to me. I'm easy regarding the recipe. I'll be ordering the ingredients soon.

I just tapped my BGSA/Tripel #2 and it's def better than BGSA/Tripel #1. Maybe it was the incremental sugar feeding in the fermenter because even though it finished lower (1.008 vs. 1.012) and has more alcohol...it tastes like it has less alcohol. #2 is comparatively lighter/more refreshing than #1. Only difference was the yeast and the method of adding sugar.

As it stands, I'm the only one who has proposed and scaled any sort of recipe. The original Devil May Cry (the starting point for the 10.10.10) was adapted from Vinnie Cilurzo's Golden Strong as listed in Brew Like A Monk.

Sorry I've been absent over the last week - I've just returned from vacation in Saranac Lake and have lots of forum postings/emails to catch up on.

We had a poll thread and the winner was GSA. A clean sticky sounds good to me. I'm easy regarding the recipe. I'll be ordering the ingredients soon.

I just tapped my BGSA/Tripel #2 and it's def better than BGSA/Tripel #1. Maybe it was the incremental sugar feeding in the fermenter because even though it finished lower (1.008 vs. 1.012) and has more alcohol...it tastes like it has less alcohol. #2 is comparatively lighter/more refreshing than #1. Only difference was the yeast and the method of adding sugar.

Yeah, I think flyanglers recipe originally posted in post #148 as amended in post #262 for a BGSA should be what we go with. I liked the looks of that one even before flyangler disclosed it's pedigree.

If Flyangler would post up a pretty beer tools pro report of the full recipe in a new thread biermuncher could sticky it, that way the recipe is in the first post to make it easy for others to find.

If it is run like the 999, then a "Recipe and Swap Guidelines" thread that includes the rules of the swap and the various recipes, PM, extract and All Grain, along with any other "official" information would be locked and another "chatter" thread would be added... or just continue to use this one as the chat thread.

*shrug*

If Flyangler would post up a pretty beer tools pro report of the full recipe in a new thread biermuncher could sticky it, that way the recipe is in the first post to make it easy for others to find.

That my fellows sounds like a very nice plan of action!
BM, your thoughts?
ASAIGP I'll be joining so I may be able to participate in this and other yummy things of HBT. And of course must always help support the board.

[size=+2]Devil May Cry (10.10.10 Edition)[/size]
[size=+1]16-E Belgian Specialty Ale[/size]
Author: Jason Konopinski
Date: 3/30/09

Size: 6.0 gal
Efficiency: 70%
Attenuation: 90%
Calories: 329.61 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.100 (1.026 - 1.120)
|====================#===========|
Terminal Gravity: 1.010 (0.995 - 1.035)
|==============#=================|
Color: 6.91 (1.0 - 50.0)
|=========#======================|
Alcohol: 11.97% (2.5% - 14.5%)
|====================#===========|
Bitterness: 51.8 (0.0 - 100.0)
|================#===============|

[size=+1]Ingredients:[/size]
17.5 lb Pilsner Malt
10 oz Belgian Munich
10 oz White Wheat Malt
3.0 lb White Table Sugar (Sucrose)
1.0 oz Galena (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 90 min
1 oz Goldings (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 30 min
1 oz Goldings (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min
1.0 ea White Labs WLP570 Belgian Golden Ale

[size=+1]Schedule:[/size]
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

00:03:00 Dough In - Liquor: 5.97 gal; Strike: 161.97 °F; Target: 149 °F
01:33:00 Saccharification Rest - Rest: 90 min; Final: 147.3 °F
02:03:00 Lautering - First Runnings: 0.0 gal sparge @ 145 °F, 10 min; Sparge #1: 1.85 gal sparge @ 168.0 °F, 10.0 min; Sparge #2: 1.85 gal sparge @ 168.0 °F, 10.0 min; Total Runoff: 7.61 gal

[size=+1]Notes[/size]
This recipe is based on Vinnie Cilurzo's Golden Strong in BLaM.

Tweaked proportions slightly, used US Goldings (5.0% AA). Tentatively named "Devil May Cry'

[size=-1]Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.3[/size]

Back