1 year old black ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carbonzx

Reaction score
so the thread title is a lie its more like 10 month old black ipa but whatever.
the reason i had stored a couple bottles of this brew away was because i wanted to do an experiment with it.
for anyone who doesn't know the black ipa is a bit of a bigger beer with an og of 1.075, and i got a fg of 1.021 after an extra week in the seconday. this is the only beer out of the half dozen i have done that i used two wyeast packets for.

the end result of this beer was exactly where i wanted it to be in terms of flavor and alcohol content but after 3-4 of them i would get major gutrot and eventually the ****s which was a big bummer. i even gave 1 bottle to a friend and he told me he thought he was going to **** himself after drinking it! i felt terrible.
i also noticed that the longer i let this beer carbonate the more it would fizz up on opening, like alot... and i added the normal amount of sugar i do to any other beers.

i had come to a few theories about why these two things were happening but i set aside these brews to test it. sure enough when i opened these beers they literally explode out like a shaken up soda. i have yet to determine if i get the rot like before.

long story short, anyways i concluded that there was probably way too much inactive yeast in my secondary before bottling yet and it gave me that vitamin overload and uber carbonation.

does this sound right? what can i do more than a secondary in the future?

jon-stewart-popcorn.gif

1.021 FG and bottles getting more & more overcarbonated over time tells me that your beer wasn't done fermenting when you bottled it

How long was it fermenting before the secondary? How consistent were your temperatures relative to the yeasts preferred range? Do you have a method for oxygenating your wort?

Those all play a part in whether you made it to a true TG. If you added priming sugar and there was still fermenting left to do, that explains the prob

The gutrot.... not sure. I'd be interested to see if anybody else can answer that question.

Are you making sure to not empty the bottles all the way when you pour the beers (and not shaking/jostling the bottles shortly before serving)? The gut rot sounds like you may be getting some of the yeast/sediment that should have settled into the bottom of the bottles mixed into what you're drinking.

Some folks love that stuff and swear it cures a variety of ills (including hangovers), but I've heard other folks say it causes, um, abdominal distress...

i usually check the gravity when i transfer and the gravity was the exact same on transfer and bottling. i keep my temps consistent when fermenting in winter by putting my fermentors in a large plastic tub with a aquarium heater set at the temp recommended for yeast health, and i double check that with my stick on fermemometer(how ever you spell it). i aerate by hand vigorous shaking for 1-2 minutes.

and yes i personally know better than to pour the whole bottle in and try not to agitate the bottle before i drink it. my buddy might not have though...

looking through my brew notes
brew day-3/13/13 og 1.075
transfer- 4/9/13 sg 1.021
bottling day 4/23/13 fg 1.021

My guess is it wasn't done. If you have another bottle left, pour some into an hydrometer tube, let it go flat and check the gravity. If it is lower than 1.021, one of the following probably happened:

- Beer wasn't done (my guess, but I really don't know)
- It got an infection, indications could be; a ring around the neck of the bottle, sour taste, or funky/rustic flavors from Brett.

I can't comment on the gut-rot.

Latest posts

Back