1-week fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redkegGV

Reaction score
Hi, brand new to the forum. Just checked gravity after 7 days of primary on my california IPA. OG 1.042. today, 1.010. This is the bottom of the range for the style profile. Also very bitter, dry and thin in body. Fermentation went waaay faster than expected. Does it just need to age and mellow out some of the bitterness, or would adding honey in secondary for two weeks help with body and flavor?

Recipe and fermentation temperature would probably help answer your questions.
No need for a secondary with an IPA and honey would raise alcohol level and thin out the beer further.

As was already mentioned, recipe and fermentation temperature would help. That said, 7 days is plenty for a 1.042 OG. A few more days in the primary won't do any harm though.

Avoid honey at this point unless you want it to be drier and thinner.

Let us know the recipe, and e can let you know about the bitterness.

Yes, I used 5# Amber DME and color is lighter than I had wanted as well. If I want to dry hop for aroma, just do so now and let it go another week before kegging? Thanks for your input!

It isn't unusual for initial fermentation to complete in as little as 5-8 days. Many professional brewers pull their beer from the fermenter that quickly and move it to a "brite tank" to finish. But keep in mind that they also had the benefit of near-perfect temperature control during that fermentation. The yeast was working at its optimum and didn't generate any "off-flavors".

If you had that kind of excellent temperature control you could very well move the beer to a secondary vessel and keep it at the mid to upper end of the yeast's optimal temperature range for another week or so before packaging. But from a practical standpoint it would probably be best to just let the beer set another week in the primary without adding anything. And yes, the flavors will mellow out and become much more agreeable (usually) with the benefit of time in the fermenter and the bottle plus the addition of some carbonation.

Now would be a great time to dry-hop the beer.

Cheers! :mug:

KepowOB - my recipe:
5#amber dme
1.5oz cascade @30min
1.5oz cascade @60min
1 oz citra@flame out
White labs ca ale
Puddlethumper- after considering the great advice I am racking to another vessel and dry hopping with 1oz citra whole hops. The trub bugs me I think I want to get it off the boiling hops and sludge and see what happens.
Thanks all, will post results.

The trub bugs me I think I want to get it off the boiling hops and sludge and see what happens.
Thanks all, will post results.

I am in the same camp and would do exactly what you have decided to do. Please do post your results. I'll bet it will be a great batch of beer!

Cheers!

Well, after one week of no change in gravity, I decided to keg and carbonate on saturday/sunday and I am very pleased with the results. The bitterness is there, but did get some better counterpart flavor from a much improved malt flavor and developed body. Crisp and cold, it goes down easy and pours like a dream out of my system. This was the first batch I kegged and I am pleased. Thank you for all the advice. I expect to make a small change in the hop schedule and increase my extract slightly on the next batch, but overall this recipe is a basic recipe keeper for me!

Back