1 RU BCS box.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bad coffee

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,
I've been slowly collecting parts for my BCS controller box. This week at work we've had some VERY slow times, which has given me a chance to actually start the assembly.

The setup:
1 RU (rack unit.) main control box. This box will stay in my office (or my work rack when I go on tour.) Inside this box will be:
BCS-462, the whole brain of the operation.
Airport Express for wireless, and also to extend my wireless network. I'll be running the USB and the audio out to the back of the control box. That way I can either hook up a hard drive or printer, and I can stream music.
SSR's on a chunk of aluminum One SSR for my kegerator, and one for my fermenatrix fridge. Good for temp tracking, and also for controlling fermentation. Since the fridge and the keezer only pull about 2A each, I shouldn't need that much extra mass to keep the SSR's under critical temps.
A small fan for some air movement so everything stays cool. I might just put in a temp probe in the box and control the fan with the bcs. It depends on how the temp probes get split up in the end.

Ins/outs:
Front panel L-R:
Power LED
? LED. Possibly BCS signal of some kind.
Network IN. if I need to go in direct to the BCS, I'll take out the Airport and go direct

Cat-5 A: Inputs to BCS
Cat-5 B: Outputs from BCS
Cat-5 C: Temp inputs

Kegerator on LED
Fermenatrix Fridge on LED.

Back Panel L-R:
Kegerator Temp in
Kegerator AC from BCS
Fermenatrix AC from BCS
Fermenatrix Temp 1
Fermenatrix Temp 2

Airport express audio out.
(USB to be added later)
Fused Power in to the whole box.

Three cat-5 cables will go to the external box in the brew area. On this box will be:
Outputs for two elements and a pump.
Buttons. Probably "Next, Back, Hold, and E-STOP!" Once I complete my BCS programming I'll have a better idea.
Buzzer, blinker, and possibly LOUD ALARM
Inputs for temp probes from MLT, Pump, Kettle, etc. Haven't quite figured out the final brew setup, but it will most likely be JKarp-like.

Enough yapping, here's some pics!

Cheers,
B

IMG_0523.jpg

IMG_0528.jpg

IMG_0533.jpg

Had a bit of time to work on it today.

Drilled and tapped out the SSR heat sinks
Cut and installed the DIN rail
Did most of the A/C wiring. To finish the AC I need to figure out how to power the BCS and the Airport Express. I think I have a cable I can cut for the AE, but the BCS is bothering me, I just don't want an Edison plug inside. But until I find a PC mount 6-9v transformer for cheap, I'm not gonna sweat it.

Next steps:
Get the correct StakOns for the SSR, and wire them.
Mount BCS and start wiring. Probably should figure out which temps/ins/out do what.
Mount the AE so I can see the LED's, and remote the 1/8" and USB.

Only one pic today.

BCS2.JPG

Finished the AC, mounted the AE, remoted the USB and the audio, and mounted the BCS. All that's left is wiring up the BCS

B

photo-2.JPG

Back