1 regulator, 2 different carb levels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pickngrin

Reaction score
I just recently kegged and carbed a dunkelweizen (4.0 volumes CO2).
My other keg has a porter in it, of course with a much lower carbonation level.
I inserted two of those epoxy mixer sticks in the dunkelweizen dip tube to help reduce foaming. My question is, in order to maintain the high level of carbonation in the dunkelweizen, do I have to disconnect the gas from the keg after serving? Otherwise, if I have a serving pressure of, say, 14 PSI, will the carbonation level gradually bleed off from the dunkelweizen? My kegerator temp is 48 degrees.

I realize that this is all simpler with a secondary regulator...

The key is to always charge the headspace of the dunkelweizen to the full high volumes, and always have the other beer's headspace be at the lower level.

The surest way to do that is, after serving, to dial the gas down to the lowest level beer's PSI, purge that keg, hit it with gas until it stabilizes, unhook the gas, dial it up to the highest level beer's PSI (the dunkelweizen in this case) and hit that with the gas. After that you can leave it hooked up or unhooked.

SumnerH is right, there's no simple way to maintain two different pressures. For now, I'd keep the pressure on the dunkelweizen and just give the porter a boost whenever it starts flowing slowly. Porters serve well over a range.

Back