1 pack of S-189, enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joewalla88

Reaction score
So, I have one pack of S-189 dry lager yeast with a best by date of 11/19. I was planning to brew a beer with it with an OG around 1.044-.047 range. Will I be okay with the one packet? I see a lot of mixed info about how many dry yeast packs to use for lagers. Some say more some say it doesnt matter, and one pack is fine. Anyone have a more definite answer? My lhbs doesnt carry this strain and it's gotten spendy online, so hoping to get by with the one pack, just dont want the beer to taste like crap. Thanks!

Personally, I'd make a 2 to 4L starter with it. Factor the starter volume and ingredients into your overall recipe, and pitch the whole thing at high krausen (a vitality starter).

Personally, I'd make a 2 to 4L starter with it. Factor the starter volume and ingredients into your overall recipe, and pitch the whole thing at high krausen (a vitality starter).

I thought about that, but I've seen a lot of people saying you shouldn't do that with dry yeast. I'm new to lagers, because I havent had the set up for it till recently, so it's a little new to me.

They only say not to do it because dry yeast is so cheap and easy to buy. It's very USA-centric though. Dry yeast isn't very cheap in Australia, and making starters with it is common (have a browse through the Aussie Homebrewer forum and you'll find several discussions of it - it works well). So, if you're in the situation that you can't get more yeast, make a starter!

They only say not to do it because dry yeast is so cheap and easy to buy. It's very USA-centric though. Dry yeast isn't very cheap in Australia, and making starters with it is common (have a browse through the Aussie Homebrewer forum and you'll find several discussions of it - it works well). So, if you're in the situation that you can't get more yeast, make a starter!

Oh okay. I always have extract that I keep around just for starters, so I'll try that. Thanks!

Not true. Studies have shown that making a starter from dry yeast can get you fewer cells than were in the package of dry yeast.

Weigh your options. You can order more and wait for it, you can brew with just the one pack and hope it turns out good. How desperate are you for beer? If you are down to your last 6 pack, I'd say brew it and hope.

Not true. Studies have shown that making a starter from dry yeast can get you fewer cells than were in the package of dry yeast.

Weigh your options. You can order more and wait for it, you can brew with just the one pack and hope it turns out good. How desperate are you for beer? If you are down to your last 6 pack, I'd say brew it and hope.

I've heard this too. I was just trying to brew without buying another pack, because now I can only find it online for almost 10 bucks a pack. Probably won't brew it for another month, so I'm trying to figure something out by then.

Could you show a link to this study (or studies) please? I think you'll find it's actually people getting confused between hydrating and making starters. I make starters with dry yeast (US-05 is about $6 a packet). Many brewers in my area make starters with dry yeast. They work every time.

Could you show a link to this study (or studies) please? I think you'll find it's actually people getting confused between hydrating and making starters. I make starters with dry yeast (US-05 is about $6 a packet). Many brewers in my area make starters with dry yeast. They work every time.

I'm curious about this too, because I cant make sense of how this would be the case in my head.

this exactly.. i am not so sure you can make a starter with a dry packet and end up with a cell count less than the packet you started with. yeast eat the sugar in the starter and multiply.

So, I have one pack of S-189 dry lager yeast with a best by date of 11/19. I was planning to brew a beer with it with an OG around 1.044-.047 range. Will I be okay with the one packet? I see a lot of mixed info about how many dry yeast packs to use for lagers. Some say more some say it doesnt matter, and one pack is fine. Anyone have a more definite answer? My lhbs doesnt carry this strain and it's gotten spendy online, so hoping to get by with the one pack, just dont want the beer to taste like crap. Thanks!
What size batch?
At what temp will you be fermenting it?
Do you have any other yeast on hand?
I just bottled a marzen that I fermented with a pack of S-189 and a partial pack of W-34/70.

I've heard this too. I was just trying to brew without buying another pack, because now I can only find it online for almost 10 bucks a pack. Probably won't brew it for another month, so I'm trying to figure something out by then.
Shop around, Williams has it for $4.99.

What size batch?
At what temp will you be fermenting it?
Do you have any other yeast on hand?
I just bottled a marzen that I fermented with a pack of S-189 and a partial pack of W-34/70.

5 gallons. I was think 55ish? I have some other yeast, but mostly ale yeasts.

One pack of S-189, directly pitched w no starter should be fine for 5 gallons. In my experience, 2 packs direct pitched dry S-189 have never let me down for 10 gallons.

"Another case where you generally don't want to make a starter is with dry yeast. It is usually cheaper and easier to just buy more dry yeast than it would be to make a starter large enough for most dry yeast packs. Many experts suggest that placing dry yeasts in a starter would just deplete the reserves that the yeast manufacturer worked so hard to build into their product. For dry yeasts, just do a proper rehydration in tap water, do not make a starter." Source: Mrmalty.com

"Another case where you generally don't want to make a starter is with dry yeast. It is usually cheaper and easier to just buy more dry yeast than it would be to make a starter large enough for most dry yeast packs. Many experts suggest that placing dry yeasts in a starter would just deplete the reserves that the yeast manufacturer worked so hard to build into their product. For dry yeasts, just do a proper rehydration in tap water, do not make a starter." Source: Mrmalty.com

That's not a study, it's a person's opinion. I can assure you, dry yeast starters work really well.

I use S-189 all the time. I always use 2 packets per 5g carboy. I rehydrate (no starter) the yeast, then pitch into 50F carboy.

I save the yeast slurry in mason jars the fridge after fermentation, so many times I'm using that instead of the packets. I've never tried one packet. Even with two, the fermentation takes off slowly, up to 3 days before signs of activity.

That's not a study, it's a person's opinion. I can assure you, dry yeast starters work really well.

I realize it isn't a study but so much of the information is locked up with copyright that searching for it is difficult. If I had the books it would still be hard to find.

Anyone remember Edme yeast? I once got a pack of that which was 7 years old and when I made a starter from it, it took off like a cannon. Storage is important. Dry yeasts do last a long time. I would just pitch it and see. Maybe have another pack of yeast available for backup....

I never rehydrate and it never seems to matter at all. I have started using the White Labs Servomyces Yeast Nutrient. Add it to the boil with ten minutes left. I like the results. I also don't throw the entire capsule in, I pull it apart and then dump in the contents...

https://www.whitelabs.com/other-products/servomyces

Well, this may have been all for not. The lhbs can put some on their next order and it'll be 5 bucks. I should've asked first.

Back