1 Gallon Pineapple Honey Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeritageHD

Reaction score
I'm doing a test batch before I do a full 5 gallon and would appreciate some input. I know it's a simple recipe and I pretty much just based it off of a Kolsch I found but thought I'd throw it on here for some input. Brewing it for my girlfriend who likes light beer and pineapple.

Im going to puree the pineapple and add .75 pounds at flame out and .75 in the secondary.

Thanks!

Title: Ananas Miel Kolsch

Brew Method: Extract
Style Name: Kölsch
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 1 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 1.25 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.041
Efficiency: 65% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.051
Final Gravity: 1.013
ABV (standard): 5.02%
IBU (tinseth): 26.78
SRM (morey): 2.75

FERMENTABLES:
1 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Pilsen (80.8%)
0.8 oz - German - Carapils (4%)
3 oz - Honey (15.2%)

HOPS:
7 g - Domestic Hallertau, Type: Pellet, AA: 3.9, Use: Boil for 65 min, IBU: 20.24
3 g - Domestic Hallertau, Type: Pellet, AA: 3.9, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 6.55

YEAST:
Wyeast - Kölsch 2565
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 75%
Flocculation: Low
Optimum Temp: 56 - 70 F
Fermentation Temp: 60 F

I brew a Pineapple DIPA for summer and use a pound of pineapple per gallon added in primary or secondary either is fine. Dont forget its going to add to the abv.

I brew a Pineapple DIPA for summer and use a pound of pineapple per gallon added in primary or secondary either is fine. Dont forget its going to add to the abv.

How do you prepare and add the Pineapple? I've read of either chunks or puree, some cooked and some not.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

How do you prepare and add the Pineapple? I've read of either chunks or puree, some cooked and some not.

I used cored pineapple and dipped them in boiling water for 30 seconds then pureed them in the blender and poured into the fermenter, racking the beer on top of it.

I'm going to brew this up on Wednesday, I've changed the recipe a bit and decided on a 2.5 gallon batch.

Fuzzymittenbrewing - does the Pineapple flavor fade after bottle conditioning/aging? What did your time frames look like from brewing to drinking? Also, how long did you let it sit on the Pineapple before Bottling/kegging? Thanks!

I'm going to brew this up on Wednesday, I've changed the recipe a bit and decided on a 2.5 gallon batch.

Fuzzymittenbrewing - does the Pineapple flavor fade after bottle conditioning/aging? What did your time frames look like from brewing to drinking? Also, how long did you let it sit on the Pineapple before Bottling/kegging? Thanks!

The flavor does fade with time but being mine is a DIPA its meant to be drunk fresh so most of it was. I would say the first few weeks actually help the flavor develop but a slow fade after a month or two. Grain to glass in about 5-6 weeks. I last did it with pineapple in primary so it sat for two weeks.

Heres what it looked like

1393427350976.jpg

I checked my gravity today and am at 1.011. The pineapple has really mixed in and I'm not sure how to clear the beer up. Even in my gravity sample I had a lot of floaties from the fruit. Would gelatin help it all sink, or should I screen it somehow?

No real Pineapple taste but there is some smell to it.

1395626095779.jpg

I checked my gravity today and am at 1.011. The pineapple has really mixed in and I'm not sure how to clear the beer up. Even in my gravity sample I had a lot of floaties from the fruit. Would gelatin help it all sink, or should I screen it somehow?

No real Pineapple taste but there is some smell to it.

Can you cold crash it? (Ive never tried gelatin on a fruit beer) As far as flavor it will pop a lot more with bottle conditioning time

That might work. I left my test sample in the fridge for a few hours and it did knock most of the stuff down. The coldest my basement gets is about 56. I was thinking about sticking it outside for a night but it's still in the teens and single digits here so if have to wait a few weeks.

Sorry to resurrect a thread, but has anyone tried using store bought pineapple juice? I've got a Kolsch in the primary now that's about done with primary and thought about adding a quart now and a quart in a few weeks if it needs it.

Thoughts?

Sorry to resurrect a thread, but has anyone tried using store bought pineapple juice? I've got a Kolsch in the primary now that's about done with primary and thought about adding a quart now and a quart in a few weeks if it needs it.

Thoughts?

Depending on how long it's been in primary you might not have enough viable yeast to take care of the fermentables in the juice and it would probably come out very sweet.

I just pitched Sunday. Airlock activity slowed way down but there's still a bit of krausen.

I'll add a quart and report back.

Back