1 gallon corny keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golddiggie

Reaction score
About two weeks I scored a 1 gallon Taylor syrup keg off of ebray... It arrived last week and I proceeded to go through it and get it ready for use with homebrew. :rockin:

First thing I had to do was install a gas post in the lid (where the normal gas in fitting was, for it). This involved removing the fitting that was in the lid, installing a 1/8" NPT to 1/4" MFL fitting. Then installing one of the 1/4" FFL to 19/32"-18 fittings that accepts a gas corny post.

taylor_1gallon_keg-57347.jpg

Once that was completed, I proceeded to pressure test it. Mother leaked out of the liquid post (it was damaged from an impact on one side of the top of it). So, I started hunting for a replacement post. Ordered one from Northern Brewer over the weekend (along with a few other things), which shipped out on Monday. That arrived today.

taylor_1gallon_keg_closeup-57348.jpg

Installed the replacement liquid side post and proceeded to pressure test again. SUCCESS!! Holds pressure and doesn't leak. So, I pushed out the PBW solution I had it sitting with, followed by some rinse water, and then some Star San solution. Got it sitting now with 12psi of pressure in it, to test it to make sure there are no slow leaks in it.

Stoked about having a 1 gallon beer keg now. Especially with having some strong brews going to keg. I might fill it with my 12% wee heavy, so that I can take it with me on xmas to enjoy. Or maybe on Chanuka. :D I have a Leland regulator, with the paintball CO2 bottle adapter and paintball bottles filled with just CO2 (no lubricants/junk added). It would be pretty easy to take the 1 gallon keg with me, along with the small CO2 setup (might even get some of the Leland CO2 bottles) with me to places, along with a picnic tap setup and be able to serve up great homebrew easily. :D

Anyone else got some of these kegs? What do YOU use them for? :ban:

I picked one of these up a couple years ago. I have the leland mini regulator and paintball adpater as well. With a 9 oz paintball tank, it all fits nicely into a small cooler i have. I use mine to take beers for sampling to our club meetings.

I added a 40 PSI pressure relief valve as well since I sometimes force carb in it. These are only rated to 45 PSI unlike the standard Cornies.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/my-new-1-gallon-keg-252682/

Also picked up the 2 gallon version that is the same height just a little bigger around.

I typically use the two week force carbonation method (not the rapid one) so I don't think I'll need the relief valve on mine.

Where did you get the 2 gallon version? I know someone that had some more of the 1 gallons a couple of weeks back. Hope he still has some and doesn't want too much for them. Would like to have one or two more of these.

I usually keg in 3 gallon corny kegs. I do have one 5 gallon I picked up a while ago. I recently scored another pair of 5 gallons from Jasper's. Nice condition kegs and cost me just under $20 total. Before you start foaming at the mouth, I used up a pair of gift cards I've had for almost a year (Visa gift cards) which took $100 of the total. :D I plan to use the two (newer) 5 gallon kegs with a pair of brews I've had aging for some time. I have about 6-6.5 gallons of each, so I'm also planning on using the two 2.5 gallon kegs I have. I'll carbonate all of them the same (got manifolds) in my basement (in the 50-52F range) and then bottle some. I plan to keep the 2.5 gallon kegs full, but might bottle what's in the 5 gallon kegs. Haven't really decided yet. But, I think it would be pretty kick-ass to have 1 gallon kegs of both batches that I could take someplace. Or put one in the regular food fridge, put the Leland regulator (and small CO2 bottle) in there on it, and maybe a picnic tap for when people come over. Or, I'll just serve it at basement/cellar temperatures and they can deal with it. At 9% and 12%, I don't think they'll complain much after a few. :D :drunk:

Actually scored the 2 gallon through here. Someone read my 1 gallon keg post pm'd me and mentioned he had one that looked just like this and wanted to know if I was interested in buying. He sent me a pic and I thought it was a 1 gallon. When it arrived, I realized it was bigger around. Did a little research and found out Taylor used both a 1 and a 2 gallon.

I am always interested in more of the 1 gallon versions as well. I usually check for these regularly on e-bay, figures when I slack off a bit there have been 4 of them sold on there recently.

I am actually in the middle of a 1 gallon working scale model of my keggle brewery to brew test batches, so these would be perfect for those brews as well.

Previous few times I had tried to get the 1 gallon kegs, others had either sniped them, or the cost was more than I was comfortable with. Lucked out on getting this one.

Hopefully, I'll be able to score a couple/few more of these soon...

I have one too, it's pretty handy. It actually fits inside the stainless coils in my jockey box and you can close the lid. Pretty stealth. What flavor keg was yours? I could tell mine used to have vanilla syrup inside

Mine was 'chocolate' according to the label that was on it. After the soak in PBW, and then hit with Star San, there's no odors in it. :rockin:

BTW, scored four more of these from a local guy today. Keeping two, another HBT member is lined up for the other two. So, I now have three 1 gallon kegs to use. :rockin: Just need to decide if I want to carbonate in the other kegs, then transfer the carbonated brew into them (as desired). Or fill them with 1 gallon of select brews, carbonate in the small kegs, and have them ready to go where needed. I know, such a rough choice. :D

I would be interested in one more if possible. Please let me know

Not really looking to sell any of the ones I planned on keeping. No idea when I'll be able to score these again, so I'm hoarding mine. :D

Mine, all mine... My precious... :fro:

Unless you make me an offer I simply cannot refuse. :D

Back