1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flomaster said:
$10 at BevMo. Get yours today because this is a when they're gone they're gone items. Anyone using the rims tube during their mashed with her one gallon setup. I figure I can use my rims to be to maintain a perfect mash temperature. But I don't want to buy any additional gear.

I paid $40 for this a month ago at total wine. But I'm looking to get another 1 gallon carboy. I should see if I can jump on this

I picked up four yesterday.. Went online and my two local stores showed no inventory. Went to the closest store and they had about a dozen or more. Weird thing.. they are closing out the kit line for $10 but staying solid on the few ingredient kits at about $19.. wonder why. Ingredient kits are worthless without the ingredients. I may stop and speak with the mgr today when I head to town. Anyhow.. looks like a fun way to make a variety of 12 pacs.

Oh.. and another question. Maybe we ought to ask the HBT owner to add a 1G forum... seems a lot of interest. They did add a BIAB sub forum. But, the real question on the Brooklyn Brew is.. looks like they produced a book with 1G/5G recipes. I'd like to see a variety of 1G recipes. I don't believe there is really a linear relationship between a 5G recipe and a 1G.. I've read about different hop utilization..etc.. but have never tried it myself.

Oh.. and another question. Maybe we ought to ask the HBT owner to add a 1G forum... seems a lot of interest. They did add a BIAB sub forum. But, the real question on the Brooklyn Brew is.. looks like they produced a book with 1G/5G recipes. I'd like to see a variety of 1G recipes. I don't believe there is really a linear relationship between a 5G recipe and a 1G.. I've read about different hop utilization..etc.. but have never tried it myself.

If the relationship is not linear then how can some 5 gallon clones of mass produced beers can turn out sometimes identical* to the originals? Or even clones of craft beers.
I am not stating anything btw, just asking.

*according to some of the cloners

HopSong said:

Check out the book called 'beer craft: a simple guide to making beer" it's all based around 1 gallon small batch. It's a great book as well.

A 1-Gallon forum was asked for by huntingohio almost a year ago...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f22/we-need-small-batch-brewers-section-365395/

In my experience, the linear relationship of 5-gallon recipe to 1-gallon recipe is very close and is a good starting point for brewing.

The biggest issue I had with scaling smaller beers was measuring the small amount of hops and specialty grains needed.

If the relationship is not linear then how can some 5 gallon clones of mass produced beers can turn out sometimes identical* to the originals? Or even clones of craft beers.

Probably because they know their systems well enough to ramp it up.. ???

Oh.. Big Rock.. thanks for the Beer Craft book idea.. how are the recipes??

Simple, the recipe was adjusted to compensate for the differences in equipment. It's the equipment, and the resulting methodology, that causes the relationship to be slightly non-linear.

HopSong said:
Probably because they know their systems well enough to ramp it up.. ??? Oh.. Big Rock.. thanks for the Beer Craft book idea.. how are the recipes??

The recipes are basic starting points.

If you are looking for recipes get Jamils book brewing classic styles and adjust for 1 gallons.

I have a 10 gallon capacity at the moment, honestly I could squeeze 15 gallons out of all my gear. But I have settled into 3 gallon batches as just right. It's faster, I go through my batches faster and have reason to brew more often.

I've been saying I can make the same amount of a couple varieties in less time.

If I have to make 5 or 6 gallons I double batch it.

I brew 1 gallon kits to see if I like it enough to buy the 5 gallon one and also to scratch that brew day itch between big brews... Last night I found I had some time to kill and knocked out a 1 gallon caribou slobber kit from NB... That sucker started fermenting quick! When I got home from work today it was bubbling like crazy... I love the yield from 5 gallon brews, but you'll never hear me knock a 1 gallon brew day ever...

IZS said:
I have a 10 gallon capacity at the moment, honestly I could squeeze 15 gallons out of all my gear. But I have settled into 3 gallon batches as just right. It's faster, I go through my batches faster and have reason to brew more often. I've been saying I can make the same amount of a couple varieties in less time. If I have to make 5 or 6 gallons I double batch it.

I brew it all 1,2,3,5,10 gallons, I'm not sure why people should have to justify how much beer they are brewing - beer (and homebrewing) is a personal matter, similar to the likes of music taste.

Very true. Yet I frequently am asked the same questions as other small batch brewers. I've even been told that you can't make good beer in small batches. That's nonsense, of course, but I try not to embarrass anyone when I answer.

Very true. Yet I frequently am asked the same questions as other small batch brewers. I've even been told that you can't make good beer in small batches. That's nonsense, of course, but I try not to embarrass anyone when I answer.

The small ones seem to be better. Maybe it's because I ferment in glass instead of plastic, or chill quicker, or something. But the gallons are great. Scaled up batches sometimes aren't as good.

I do one gallon small batch as a way to test expiremental recipes before do them in 5 gallon. I also do 1 gallon brews of beer I dont want 5 gallons of. For example I just did a one gallon recipe I called hop shot. Its 177 IBU. I loved getting 8 beers out of it. And its really good. But i dont want 5 gallons of it

I brew differents size batches as well but I do alot of one gallon batches for all the reasons above. You hear alot about it taking just as long to brew a larger batch but I enjoy brewing so it doesn't matter to me the size of the batch I brew. I do enjoy the variety of beer I have on hand most of the time too.

I brew differents size batches as well but I do alot of one gallon batches for all the reasons above. You hear alot about it taking just as long to brew a larger batch but I enjoy brewing so it doesn't matter to me the size of the batch I brew. I do enjoy the variety of beer I have on hand most of the time too.

It probably takes nearly as long but I don't think it'll take as long.
I have my first 1 gallon recipe coming up after I brew two 5-gallons today. I want to try a 1 gallon early next week. It's a 45 minute boil so already I save 15 minutes. The time to get 1.25 gallons of water (accounting for boil off) to boil on the stove should take less time to get 3 gallons of water to boil using an outdoor turkey fryer. The clean up should be far less cumbersome because everything is basically smaller. Overall, I think it may shave about an hour off, that's from start to putting everything away. It's not a huge time saver, but I bet it is a bit of a time saver.

I'm looking forward to a honey porter clone that I've wanted to try.

The kits at BevMo! go on clearance because the ingredients are near or past expiry. I don't know how long they sit, but it's got to be a while. I had lazy yeast in one kit, so I repitched from some that I harvested and propagated. They're well worth the price just for the hardware included IMO!

Definatly worth it for the hardware. To be honest, I only bought one just for the glass fermenter. Haha

I've just noticed that some hops sold by my LHBS are from a 2011 harvest. For example Amarillo which i wanna use to dryhop a beer soon. Will it even have any aroma?

I've always used a 25% per year viability loss estimate for old hops. That said, I'd dryhop with twice as much. Were they discounted or something?

The_Glue said:
I've just noticed that some hops sold by my LHBS are from a 2011 harvest. For example Amarillo which i wanna use to dryhop a beer soon. Will it even have any aroma?

Or make a lambic ;-)

Or make a lambic ;-)

i still have not brewed anything passable in my opinion, i want to brew at least a good, drinkable ale before trying out other styles

I've always used a 25% per year viability loss estimate for old hops. That said, I'd dryhop with twice as much. Were they discounted or something?

no, this is a middle european lhbs, i think they are just not professional enough in aromatic hops yet

Anybody brewed 1 gallon beer with fresh fruit? I'm looking for rule of thumb on amount of fruit.

I have seen 1 pound of fruit per gallon. Seems high.

I am going to do 2 experiment brews with Clementines with extra ingredients I have on hand.

2 row/Sorachi Ace with clementines in secondary. I am hoping the lemon taste comes out of Sorachi's not the dill taste I have been reading about.

2 row/Williamette with clementines in secondary. No clue what to expect.

Thoughts?

flipfloptan said:
Anybody brewed 1 gallon beer with fresh fruit? I'm looking for rule of thumb on amount of fruit.

I have seen 1 pound of fruit per gallon. Seems high.

I am going to do 2 experiment brews with Clementines with extra ingredients I have on hand.

2 row/Sorachi Ace with clementines in secondary. I am hoping the lemon taste comes out of Sorachi's not the dill taste I have been reading about.

2 row/Williamette with clementines in secondary. No clue what to expect.

Thoughts?

Depends on the fruit. Certain fruits/additives are much more potent, while others don't contribute much flavor after fermentation. I've used 1lb of blueberries in a gallon batch and didn't get much flavor, but half pound of rhubarb was plenty.

With citrus, you always want to use just the zest from the peel, leave the bitter white pith out. Not sure if clementines have much pith tho. I've only used citrus zest before (fresh and dried), never the whole fruit tho.

flipfloptan said:
Anybody brewed 1 gallon beer with fresh fruit? I'm looking for rule of thumb on amount of fruit. I have seen 1 pound of fruit per gallon. Seems high. I am going to do 2 experiment brews with Clementines with extra ingredients I have on hand. 2 row/Sorachi Ace with clementines in secondary. I am hoping the lemon taste comes out of Sorachi's not the dill taste I have been reading about. 2 row/Williamette with clementines in secondary. No clue what to expect. Thoughts?
I just tasted my raspberry red ale. 2.5 lbs. frozen raspberries in secondary.

image-3182017878.jpg

image-4151687218.jpg

Anyone put together a good Oatmeal Stout? I've done a 5er.. but, I wasn't happy with the "creaminess" of it.. and I carbed it a bit too much.. too "sparkly"/bright.

Now, dropping down to a 1 G recipe.. I'm hoping someone can help here.

Also, I'm (ass)uming that the water profile will be lean toward maltiness rather than the brightness of a west coast type ale.. so the additions will have to be different.

this just dawned on me, is that means that if i use bittering hops from 2011 my calculated IBUs can be twice as high than what is actually in the beer?

Yup. If you use BeerSmith, it actually has a pretty handy calculator that can figure the amount of lost alpha acids, based on hop variety (apparently it varies), age, and storage method. Storing them at room temperature, for instance, is far different than vacuum packed in the freezer.

Yup. If you use BeerSmith, it actually has a pretty handy calculator that can figure the amount of lost alpha acids, based on hop variety (apparently it varies), age, and storage method. Storing them at room temperature, for instance, is far different than vacuum packed in the freezer.

I store them airtight in the freezer but i have no clue how my LHBS stored them. I use Brewtarget btw.

Different topic: I took a little sample (about 5% of the total wort) of my wort before the boil to measure OG, it is a 90min boil and i added the sample back to the pot after 20 minutes of boil time. Was that a mistake? (i mean did cooling the unboiled wort down to around 90F created some enzymes and stuff i don't want in my beer?)

I am looking at my first 1-gal batch later tonight or tomorrow evening. I have done 5 gal for about 12 years and not I want to start experimenting with "other" special ingredients but don't want to do 5 gal in case of a total failure. Also I have always done extracts with speciality grains but I am trying my first all grain with this one. I have read alot about the strike temps and mash temps and sparging but all with 5 gal batches. Here is what I was thinking but please feel free to correct me:

2# grains total (1# 2 row, 1# wheat) strike temp at 164*F for a mash temp of 152*F for 45 min. bring up to 170*F for mash out (~10-15 min) and remove grains. Bring to a boil and add hops as normal for a 60 min boil.

I look forward to your comments and suggestions as if I make a really great beer here I will turn it into a 5gal batch later to enjoy some more.

Thanks!

Ferment On!

Back to my question from two weeks ago.. Has anyone come up with either a 1g or 2g recipe for an Oatmeal Stout that turned out well? I'm not comfortable at the moment simply cutting a 5g recipe down to a small batch on my own.

Another question. I posted this elsewhere in this forum. I bought 4.. yes, FOUR Brooklyn kits. Looking forward to doing a few at a time.. possibly using different adjuncts or even different hops to pick up the differences in what a modified "smash" would do. Same grains.. but different hop.. not hops.. sounds like fun to me.

Anyhow.. for those of you who are chemical smart.. these kits come with a cleanser called "C-Brite" I have no idea if it will leave a residue as it warns about chlorine gas.. but, I think that likely has to do with possibly mixing it with another chemical.. like an acid that might cause it to emit that killer stuff. Sooooo, if you have any good info on C-Brite.. I'd appreciate it. I've seen it in restaurant supply stores for cleaning glassware.

I am looking at my first 1-gal batch later tonight or tomorrow evening. I have done 5 gal for about 12 years and not I want to start experimenting with "other" special ingredients but don't want to do 5 gal in case of a total failure. Also I have always done extracts with speciality grains but I am trying my first all grain with this one. I have read alot about the strike temps and mash temps and sparging but all with 5 gal batches. Here is what I was thinking but please feel free to correct me:

2# grains total (1# 2 row, 1# wheat) strike temp at 164*F for a mash temp of 152*F for 45 min. bring up to 170*F for mash out (~10-15 min) and remove grains. Bring to a boil and add hops as normal for a 60 min boil.

I look forward to your comments and suggestions as if I make a really great beer here I will turn it into a 5gal batch later to enjoy some more.

Thanks!

Ferment On!

The huge difference with doing all grain beer at 1 gallon vs. 5 gallons is the temperature drop during mashing. A 1 gallon mash just doesn't have the mass to hold the heat so I put my oven on its lowest setting (170) and place the mash pot inside. Some people turn off the oven right away, others half way through the mash time while I leave my on the whole mash time.

Other than that...the all grain procedure is roughly the same...and remember...RDWHAHB!

Back to my question from two weeks ago.. Has anyone come up with either a 1g or 2g recipe for an Oatmeal Stout that turned out well? I'm not comfortable at the moment simply cutting a 5g recipe down to a small batch on my own.

I brewed this 5 gallon recipe from 'Brew Your Own' as 2.5 gallons so I just halved all the ingredients. I didn't follow the same mash schedule....I just did a single step BIAB mash at 154 for 60 minutes....its was good enough that it was the first beer I finish of all my beers last Fall. And don't worry about cutting a recipe down...if its a decent recipe...cutting down won't 'ruin' it. I know its gets over said but it really does fit RDWHAHB!!!

http://byo.com/stout/item/2327-breakfast-of-champions-oatmeal-stout

Back