1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi folks -- two questions about scaling and over-hopping.

I brewed BM's centennial ale yesterday (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/centennial-blonde-simple-4-all-grain-5-10-gall-42841/).
I scaled the recipe in Beersmith from 5Gal to 1. It scaled the hops down to 0.04oz. When I brewed it, I mistakenly put in 0.4oz.

Question 1: what is gonna happen to the beer? Is it just gonna be super bitter? Beersmith recalculated the IBUs to over 200.

Question 2: are you able to actually measure 0.04oz? Even converting to grams, how do you measure 1.123g?

Any help would be great.
Cheers
-MrG.

Hiya!

Which hop was it that you messed up on? One of the additions, or all of the additions? The early ones are Centennial and are meant to imbue some bittering to the beer. The later additions are for aroma. If you made all additions at .4 oz, then it's going to be quite bitter and aromatic. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it will definitely be more hop-forward than you were expecting. Perhaps let it age for 3+ months, to calm it down a bit.

EDIT

I have the scale which was recommended in the last few replies, but I am honestly not a big fan of it. the weight variance is huge depending where on the plate the hops are placed. I have two other scales, one for ounces and one for smaller amounts. I don't really see the importance of a scale that measures down to .01 ounce.. To me, .1 ounce is sufficient.

Unfortunately all the hops additions were messed up. Once I've let it age, what signs should I look for to know its ready? Or basically once it smells palatable?

I liked the simplicity of this Guinness clone. I am trying to take this down to one gallon. I want to be similar but not "clone" like Guinness.

Other post talk about adding soured beer but at present I am looking for a nice stout base that I can play with. Does this look like it would work for a one gallon batch?

One Gal LME
1 lbs Marris otter LME
.2 lbs Roasted barley
.35 kent golding hops
Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale

Steep the .2 lb roasted barley (crushed) while bringing 1.25 gallons water up to a boil -- when the temperature hits about 170 F, remove the grain bag, then boil for 45 min. Add the hope at 45 min

Thanks

You could use some chocolate malt or black patent for more layers.

I saw chocolate in many recipes and I think I will add some chocolate malt as well. Here is some thing that I thought of after I posted, I am starting with 1.25 water but I am adding a fairly large volume of LME. How should I adjust the volume. FYI I am a gallon brewer at this time.

Thanks

I liked the simplicity of this Guinness clone. I am trying to take this down to one gallon. I want to be similar but not "clone" like Guinness.

Other post talk about adding soured beer but at present I am looking for a nice stout base that I can play with. Does this look like it would work for a one gallon batch?

One Gal LME
1 lbs Marris otter LME
.2 lbs Roasted barley
.35 kent golding hops
Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale

Steep the .2 lb roasted barley (crushed) while bringing 1.25 gallons water up to a boil -- when the temperature hits about 170 F, remove the grain bag, then boil for 45 min. Add the hope at 45 min

Thanks

Thats not too far off from something I have just bottled a week or so ago based off this recipe, but I'm using all organic malts:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/media/downloads/532/MicroBru_Pride_of_Dublin_Stout_Recipe.pdf

They have a little caramel in there. It will be another couple weeks before I can really taste.

I've been working through all the Micro Bru recipes.

Update on 1 gallon clone of dogfish head world wide stout clone here is what I have so far

rye---1.6oz
roasted Barley----1.6oz
flaked Barley-16 oz
Special B---1.6 oz
Cara Munich malt---1.6oz
Brew above at 155 degrees for 60 minutes
then add:
Extra Dark DME 38.4 oz
Brown Belgian Candi Sugar 6.4oz
1 tblspoons Black Treacle
Columbus Hops 0.05 oz
Magnum Hops 0.05 oz

Boil X 60 minutes, then add
Amarillo Hops 0.04 oz

Boil x 10 minutes, then cool to 80 degrees, put in fermenter

pitch in starter of London Ale yeast

Keep in primary ....add 1.14g of Champagne yeast...Dry hop daily with 0.02 oz Amarillo hops in secondary for 16 days . add prinming boiled sugar tabs twice daily continue in secondary until fermentation has slowed then dial back on sugar.

Will use drops of Champagne yeast to force carb bottles at bottling

let condition for 3 months

Only thing my shop doesn't have is
Black Treacle hopefully I haven't left anything out

Update on 1 gallon clone of dogfish head world wide stout clone here is what I have so far

rye---1.6oz

roasted Barley----1.6oz

flaked Barley-16 oz

Special B---1.6 oz

Cara Munich malt---1.6oz

Brew above at 155 degrees for 60 minutes

then add:

Extra Dark DME 38.4 oz

Brown Belgian Candi Sugar 6.4oz

1 tblspoons Black Treacle

Columbus Hops 0.05 oz

Magnum Hops 0.05 oz

Boil X 60 minutes, then add

Amarillo Hops 0.04 oz

Boil x 10 minutes, then cool to 80 degrees, put in fermenter

pitch in starter of London Ale yeast

Keep in primary ....add 1.14g of Champagne yeast...Dry hop daily with 0.02 oz Amarillo hops in secondary for 16 days . add prinming boiled sugar tabs twice daily continue in secondary until fermentation has slowed then dial back on sugar.

Will use drops of Champagne yeast to force carb bottles at bottling

let condition for 3 months

Only thing my shop doesn't have is

Black Treacle hopefully I haven't left anything out

Why do you need to add champagne yeast?

Based on 120min I'm assuming without force carb it will be flat without it

I'm not following you. After 16 days, you'll still have plenty of yeast in suspension in the beer. You need to add sugar when you bottle. Did I miss something in the recipe?

I've never done it, but I'm sure it's to dry the beer out as much as possible. Might take FG nearly to 1.000.

Less actually, wine yeasts can chew through almost anything if given enough time provided you have enough simple sugars in solution. Adding yeast for bottling is usually done for beers that have aged for half a year or more - most lambics/flanders/etc need them because the yeast is just too old/tired to do anything for carbing so they add in a neutral champagne yeast to carb.

That said, champagne yeast may not be the best yeast to use for this recipe - I'd go with something like Notty or US05.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be a fun experiment, though! :mug:

I'm not following you. After 16 days, you'll still have plenty of yeast in suspension in the beer. You need to add sugar when you bottle. Did I miss something in the recipe?

Another member suggested I look at this recipe

http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2012/03/dogfish-head-120-minute-ipa-clone.html?m=1

It should be doable, but you'll be boiling around 1.5 gallons in a 2 gallon pot, so just be ready to remove heat when it tries to boil over. I use a 12 qt (3 gal) pot and sometimes I still have to be careful about boilover.

Dog fish head world wide stout clone is finally starting to show some fermentation life white yeast floaters and a very very small amount of krausen layer is forming as well as co2. debating on dropping in some dry rehydrated yeast to get it moving faster

Just tried a bottle of my northern brewer caribou slobber homebrew came out pretty well tasty and with a little kick

Brewing up a 3 gallon batch of Oatmeal Nut Brown. I love the smell of hot wet oatmeal. And hops. Heck, on brew day I even like the smell of diluted Starsan.

Dog fish head world wide stout clone is finally starting to show some fermentation life white yeast floaters and a very very small amount of krausen layer is forming as well as co2. debating on dropping in some dry rehydrated yeast to get it moving faster

Nope. Let it do it's thing - unless you're really stressing the yeast out, they'll take off and do their own thing. Some yeasts are slow starters, some that are normally quick starters can be pokey depending on pitch temp/level of simple sugars.

I've had one yeast that lagged 48hrs before it showed signs of life, and which point it did it's darned to make a mess of my swamp cooler in less than 6hrs. Beer turned out great.

Patience is often rewarded with great beer. Not always, but usually. :D

Drinking Tumbleweed tonight -

Color's great, way overcarbed (my bad, still learning this keg thing, working on fixing that now..), flavor's interesting - hint of smoky, a little chocolate/roast, something going on in the background - not wow'ed with the hops, drinks way too easy.

I'm going to keep the grain setup, change out the hops/time schedule, and go with a different yeast. I used S33 on this one because I had a pack that was lonely and while it's not terrible, I do think that a cleaner/malt forward yeast would work so much better with this recipe.

Guess I'll have to brew it again with some changes! :drunk:

Nope. Let it do it's thing - unless you're really stressing the yeast out, they'll take off and do their own thing. Some yeasts are slow starters, some that are normally quick starters can be pokey depending on pitch temp/level of simple sugars.

I've had one yeast that lagged 48hrs before it showed signs of life, and which point it did it's darned to make a mess of my swamp cooler in less than 6hrs. Beer turned out great.

Patience is often rewarded with great beer. Not always, but usually. :D

It finally took off yesterday evening and blew through the blow off tube later on that night and is still going pretty well now. :)

After a few month hiatus, tonight I'm drinking the Tangerine Saison I made back in late April. It's been hanging out in the keg waiting for the boozy-ness to calm down a bit; the tangerines I added took me from 5.5 to 7.6ABV, and with all the fructose the Belle Saison yeast had a field day. I did dryhop with a little citra (only .5oz to 3gal) so while most of that dry hop has faded back, it's actually a good thing!

This beer really good - sort of like New Belgium's Snapshot, but with more body, mouth feel, and head for days. The Citra hops that faded put just enough tropical in with the tang of the Belle Saison yeast and just a hint of the tangerine in the background. You can't taste any alcohol at all - it's like a tropical/tart/hint of malt slammer. Pretty much the definition of a panty-dropper.

SWMBO took a drink and claimed the keg as hers. This won't end well for anyone.

:drunk:

Drinking Tumbleweed tonight -

Color's great, way overcarbed (my bad, still learning this keg thing, working on fixing that now..), flavor's interesting - hint of smoky, a little chocolate/roast, something going on in the background - not wow'ed with the hops, drinks way too easy.

I'm going to keep the grain setup, change out the hops/time schedule, and go with a different yeast. I used S33 on this one because I had a pack that was lonely and while it's not terrible, I do think that a cleaner/malt forward yeast would work so much better with this recipe.

Guess I'll have to brew it again with some changes! :drunk:

Sounds really tasty

After a few month hiatus, tonight I'm drinking the Tangerine Saison I made back in late April. It's been hanging out in the keg waiting for the boozy-ness to calm down a bit; the tangerines I added took me from 5.5 to 7.6ABV, and with all the fructose the Belle Saison yeast had a field day. I did dryhop with a little citra (only .5oz to 3gal) so while most of that dry hop has faded back, it's actually a good thing!

This beer really good - sort of like New Belgium's Snapshot, but with more body, mouth feel, and head for days. The Citra hops that faded put just enough tropical in with the tang of the Belle Saison yeast and just a hint of the tangerine in the background. You can't taste any alcohol at all - it's like a tropical/tart/hint of malt slammer. Pretty much the definition of a panty-dropper.

SWMBO took a drink and claimed the keg as hers. This won't end well for anyone.

:drunk:

Sounds really good should change the name
To panty dropper

The working name for that recipe was "Spring Tangent", if memory serves I posted the recipe (someone asked about it) on here somewhere in this massive post if you're interested! I'll be making it again, just need to wait for Halo's to come back in cheap, so it'll likely be another spring beer. Hopefully this time I'll get a jump start on it earlier so it'll be ready by late spring instead of early fall.

Just threw the fermenter full of Raugutiene into the fridge for a day-long cold crash. I cannot wait to try the little bit that won't fit into a bottle!

Brewday is on the calendar for Sat morning. It's sad that I have to schedule a day to brew, but that's how the fall is going so far.

DPA clone to be brewed soon! Kinda thinking about ordering grains to brew again Sunday, and get a pumpkin beer in the pipeline....

(don't tell the SWMBO, but I'm sneaking the Saison and man am I enjoying it. Gonna make it again without the tangerine just to see how it ends up! Belle Saison yeast gets two thumbs up from me!)

Brewday is on the calendar for Sat morning. It's sad that I have to schedule a day to brew, but that's how the fall is going so far.

I think it is crazy that there are people who DON'T have to schedule their brew days! I have to watch TV series on Netflix because I never have time for a 2-hour movie! Family can be so demanding....

My brew sessions revolve around the days I have off and my youngest son's nap schedule. There's not much worse than having to clean his pee off the wall right before needing to put in a hop addition . (he's 3 and learning what "aim" is)

I just got home from class today and found out the gf took the baby to go shopping with her mom. So I finally got to do my pumpkin ale kit. Only took a little under an hour and 45 minutes. I'm excited.

Knocked out my first BIAB brew today. Went very well.

I mimicked the Midwest Triple-A Ale micro kit recipe. I subbed in cascade hops and Nottingham yeast.

I must have gotten better efficiency than what Midwest expects. Post boil I was at about 1.068 with almost a quart extra volume. I went with it, we'll see how it goes. I probably need to get beersmith to get a handle on my numbers.

Ended up with more trub then I expected too. Lots of details to work on. I have not tried whirlpooling, is it possible with small batches?

I mimicked the Midwest Triple-A Ale micro kit recipe. I subbed in cascade hops and Nottingham yeast.

I must have gotten better efficiency than what Midwest expects. Post boil I was at about 1.068 with almost a quart extra volume. I went with it, we'll see how it goes. I probably need to get beersmith to get a handle on my numbers.

Ended up with more trub then I expected too. Lots of details to work on. I have not tried whirlpooling, is it possible with small batches?

I've not had any luck whirlpooling.

The Triple A recipe is pretty good. I've been working through all those recipes. Their 'Monk's Cowl' belgian turned out surprisingly well - I'll probably do a 2 gallon of that soon. I've done all except the Hop Monster IPA (I have the grain for it - will likely be my next) and the Liberty Cream ale.

Nicely done! :mug: Trub happens, not a big deal at all. It'll compact out and you'll be fine.

Whirlpooling can work with small batches (and actually works easier as you can set your oven for 180 and stick the pot/hops in it and leave it for 20-30min vs trying to hold temp for that long on burner/hotplate). It does provide a different hop effect than something like a dryhop or a knockout addition, but if you plan on dryhopping you may miss it's effects. It's not as up-in-your-face HOPS as dryhopping, but it can add IBU and has a definite presence.

I didn't know Midwest had a Liberty CA, off to go see how their recipe compares to mine!

Water's on! Brew day for the DPA Clone commences!

:ban:

Whirlpooling now - Nice, relaxing brew day. Just FWH and a crap ton(for me anyway) of whirlpool hops, so lots of time to research and work on my Milds Project. Overshot my SG, projected 12.8P and ended up with 13.5P, so I'll be curious to see where the OG ends up. I'll measure on the transfer...

Also because I ended up a quart long on the batchsparge (happens...) I boiled it with a pinch of Columbus and stuck it out under the monster of a cherry tomato plant I've got in the garden (covered in a paintstrainer bag to limit bug intrusion). Hopefully I get something fun with that one, the first wild yeast experiment ended up with bandaids and what appears to be a smallish pellicle/slick forming? Dunno - it's just hanging out being a long term experiment right now...

Off to stir the whirlpool again!

EDIT - finished at 14.2, just 0.2 off of projected. Not bad, lost more wort than I thought I would with the late hops. Need to account for that next time... Also a 30min whirlpool adds way more time than 30min onto the brew day. Not sure where all the extra time creeped in from, but today was longer than usual. Weird.

Off to clean up and enjoy a pint of Tumbleweed.

Raugutiene Baltic Porter has been successfully bottled up! FG was 1.028, a little higher than I was expecting but not outside the range of the yeast I used (Windsor).

Got plans already to refill that opened fermenter this Friday.. A friend from work is coming over to observe the process of all-grain brewing, so we will be brewing an all-New Zealand hops IPA.. Using a combination of Green Bullet and Motueka.

Latest posts

Back