1 gallon Batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coppola73

Reaction score
Well, I did my first all grain last night! For the past year, I have wanted to do an all grain, but have been putting it off. Well, after reading the BYO article on doing 1 gallon batches, that put me in gear to brew up an all grain. I was ok with the potential of making mistakes with a 1 gallon batch. I also decided to try making yeast cultures earlier this week since I did not want to use a $7 pouch of yeast on a gallon batch. I also decided to wing a recipe and keep it simple.

1 pound Vienna malt
1 pound German Pilsner
1/3 ounce cascade hops - 60min
1/3 ounce cascade hops - 30min
1/3 ounce cascade hops - 15min
Wyeast 1056

I did a 1 hour rest at 149 degrees with 1 gallon of water with no sparge. Came out with a gravity of 1.050. Did a 1 hour boil and ended up having to add a 1/2 gallon of water at the end. The gravity remained 1.050. I started a 8 pm and was finished by 11pm. Yes it's a lot of work for 1 gallon, but was able to do it with everything I had around the house. It was actually very easy and I was not breaking my back. The best thing is that it got me over my fear of trying to do an all grain. I also have been going through this great forum for the past few months and learning from everyone. So thanks to everyone out there and thanks to BYO for their article.

Kristian

Not bad efficiency for a first try. For small batches, I'd be tempted to keep some hot water handy to keep the boil topped off.

Back