1 Gallon Batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B_ChiZ

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I plan on making a series of 1 gallon fruit batches using the same methods as the J.A.O. recipe. My question is; is this smart? For the batches using blueberries, raspberries, etc.. should i rack after a few weeks or just ignore and wait for the fruit to drop like in the J.A.O.?

With the initial fermentation in your primary, I wouldn't leave the mead on the fruit past 2-3 weeks max. It varies depending on the fruit type, but usually I remove the solid fruit via the mesh bag or by racking within a week.

Also, concerning 1 gallon batches (I do a lot of 1 gal. batches as I like to experiment) I've learned much while doing many batches or time. Add enough ingredients up front (water, honey, fruit) so you start with 1.5 to 1.75 gallons, and ferment that in a 5 gallon bucket or such. The reason to start with a greater quantity is that when you rack the first and 2nd time, you lose a lot of volume. If you start with exactly 1 gallon, you'll end up with roughly .75 of a gallon after racking, which you have to top up to the kneck of the carboy. If you top up with water then you'll lose flavor and alcohol. If you start with say 1.75 gallons to ferment, rack to 1 gallon carboy + part of a 1.5 liter bottle, then rack again to combine to 1 gallon, you'll end up with a pretty solid gallon of what you started with.

With the initial fermentation in your primary, I wouldn't leave the mead on the fruit past 2-3 weeks max. It varies depending on the fruit type, but usually I remove the solid fruit via the mesh bag or by racking within a week.

Also, concerning 1 gallon batches (I do a lot of 1 gal. batches as I like to experiment) I've learned much while doing many batches or time. Add enough ingredients up front (water, honey, fruit) so you start with 1.5 to 1.75 gallons, and ferment that in a 5 gallon bucket or such. The reason to start with a greater quantity is that when you rack the first and 2nd time, you lose a lot of volume. If you start with exactly 1 gallon, you'll end up with roughly .75 of a gallon after racking, which you have to top up to the kneck of the carboy. If you top up with water then you'll lose flavor and alcohol. If you start with say 1.75 gallons to ferment, rack to 1 gallon carboy + part of a 1.5 liter bottle, then rack again to combine to 1 gallon, you'll end up with a pretty solid gallon of what you started with.

I have a couple 1 gallon batches going in the little jars, so I'm curious. Couldn't you just top off with a honey/water mixture? And will it really hurt to have a little extra head space?

I have a couple 1 gallon batches going in the little jars, so I'm curious. Couldn't you just top off with a honey/water mixture? And will it really hurt to have a little extra head space?

It depends on how sweet you backsweeten to, as to how much of the missing volume you'll make up. I think trying to make up a whole quart of 1 gallon is way too much. And as I wrote before, I'm not a fan of watering down flavor and alcohol.

As for headspace, it depends on how long you store it before bottling. If you're talking about less than a month or two, then you should be ok not topping up to the kneck. More than that and you have to worry about it oxidizing.

Back