1 Gallon Apple Crisp Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scubbastv

Reaction score
I've been working on a few 1 gallon recipes in Beersmith. Here is the first one I'm going to try. Got the idea from Brooklyn Brew Shop.

Apple Crisp Ale 1 gallon

1 lbs, 6 oz Briess 2-Row Brewer's Malt
0 lbs, 8 oz Briess 2 Row Caramel 40
0 lbs, 0.08 oz Crisp Chocolate Malt
.45 oz @ 60 mins Fuggles Pellets, UK
.1 oz @ 10 mins Fuggles Pellets, UK

2 ea @ 10 mins Apples
1 ea @ 10 mins Cinnamon Stick

.5 ea SAFALE US-05 American Ale

I received everything in mail a few days ago from Brewmasters Warehouse. Total cost about $7.00.

I am open for comments and suggestions. I will be fermenting in a two gallon bucket I got from Sam's club (frosting).

Looks pretty good, but I wonder about boiling the apples, if that's the best thing to do. I'd almost rather roast them than boil them... but maybe that's just me.

Boiling apples will cause the pectin to set as they are very high in natural pectin. You should slice them roast them and add the to the secondary.

You can also get pectinase enzyme from most homebrew shops, add that after the boil and you'll get rid of the cloudy / gelling that comes from pectin in the apples. Common in ciders and whatnot.

Brewed this on Thursday, it went great. I did the mash at 155 for 1 hour with 3 quarts water. I batch sparged with 1 gallon for 10 minutes at 170. Boil went great, hit OG dead on at 1.047.

I checked the SG of it last night and did a taste. SG was at 1.028 and it tasted awesome. The apple flavor was very subtle. Can't wait to drink it.

I cut the seeds out and then cut into about 1 inch squares. They were in the wort for 10 minutes at flameout.

Nice. And they should be sanitized by the high heat without boiling to set the pectin.

Did you use a specific type of apple, or just something from the grocery store?

Is that two apples or two pounds of apples? I'm surprised that you got any apple notes from only two apples, especially in the boil. I would up the amount to 1 pound per gallon, and add the apples to the secondary for future brews. But, if the result is what you were shooting for, then right on!

I tasted it the other day and yes you can tastes the apples. I used only 2 apples. It was a hint of apple right at the end which is just what I was looking for.

But now that it turned out, you wish you had 4 more gallons to drink! :ban:

Yes I do have to say you are right. Guess I know better for next time. I do like the idea of doing small batches first. It lets me know if its actually a good idea.

My next one is going to be a bacon porter. Bacon + Porter = AWSOMENESS!!!

OK, for the Pork-N-Porter I am doing a 2 gallon recipe. I finally found the Coors Lite Home Drafts... anyway here it is...

3 lbs #2 row
3 oz Caramel 80
3 oz Chocolate malt
1.5 oz Crisp black malt
.6 oz Fuggles @ 60 min
.4 oz Fuggles @ 10 min
1 Pack Nottingham ale yeast

Ferment for 2 weeks.
Cook up 1/4 lb bacon until crispy, drain all grease. Crumble into secondary and then rack on top of. Check everyday until desired bacon flavor has been reached. Remove from bacon and cold crash for 24 hours, bottle and enjoy.

Scubbastv- Any updates? I know you didn't brew this all that long ago. I am going to ramp this up to a 5 gallon batch and make some subtle changes to the hops and grain, but it will ultimately be the same. I was wondering if you had any input in the way of "I wish I had did this." I'll post my recipe tonight after I finalize it at the LHBS

Nothing really to update, I am cold crashing it right now, bottling this weekend. My tastes that I have had taste pretty good. Its not real bitter which is what I have been looking for. The apple taste is suptle and at the end.

Good to hear. Ok, heres the final recipe I put together yesterday. As stated I did alter it slightly, but tried to stick to something pretty much resembling your own. I had some reservations about 32 IBUs, but I'm rolling with it. I added some flaked outs to round it out. I chose gala apples because they are both sweet and tart, also because they were in the fridge. I did have S-05 on hand, but I really like my london ale yeast. Bittered with Brewer's Gold to save some money, but stuck to your fuggles for aroma. blah blah blah, yatta yatta yatta, I plan on chipping up some applewood and tossing that in secondary as well. I'll let you know how the final product is in 3-4 weeks!

Recipe:

8.5# 2-row
2.5# Crystal-40
0.5# Flaked oats
0.1# Chocolate malt
1.0 oz Brewers Gold (9.7%AA) 60 min
0.5 oz Fuggles (4.2%AA) 10 min
1 Cinnamon stick at flame out 10 min
3.0# Gala apples (approximately 10 petite sized) at flame out 10 min
WLP013 London ale yeast

Still debating if the applewood will be toasted, boiled, or just thrown in covered in nasties! But I have a few days to think about that.

OG estimate 1.057
FG estimate 1.016
ABV estimate 5.3%
32.7 IBUs
14.6 SRM

You can soak the applewood in everclear if you want to kill the nasties on it. I'm not 100% sure that will work, but it will definitely get the ones on the surface. :)

Toasted is probably the best option, though, IMO.

Update... I bottled it today, which went well. I used a little less then 3 tbsp honey. I did however get to taste what was left in the bottling bucket and yes I do have to say... I wish I had made 5 gallons! Will update again in 3 weeks.

Good to hear. Ok, heres the final recipe I put together yesterday. As stated I did alter it slightly, but tried to stick to something pretty much resembling your own. I had some reservations about 32 IBUs, but I'm rolling with it. I added some flaked outs to round it out. I chose gala apples because they are both sweet and tart, also because they were in the fridge. I did have S-05 on hand, but I really like my london ale yeast. Bittered with Brewer's Gold to save some money, but stuck to your fuggles for aroma. blah blah blah, yatta yatta yatta, I plan on chipping up some applewood and tossing that in secondary as well. I'll let you know how the final product is in 3-4 weeks!

Recipe:

8.5# 2-row
2.5# Crystal-40
0.5# Flaked oats
0.1# Chocolate malt
1.0 oz Brewers Gold (9.7%AA) 60 min
0.5 oz Fuggles (4.2%AA) 10 min
1 Cinnamon stick at flame out 10 min
3.0# Gala apples (approximately 10 petite sized) at flame out 10 min
WLP013 London ale yeast

Still debating if the applewood will be toasted, boiled, or just thrown in covered in nasties! But I have a few days to think about that.

OG estimate 1.057
FG estimate 1.016
ABV estimate 5.3%
32.7 IBUs
14.6 SRM

Is this still for a 1 gallon batch or 5 gallons? Wondering since the first post showed about 1 pound of 2 row and this one lists 8.5 pounds.

My recipe (which I modified from Scuba's 1gallon recipe) is for 5 gallons, yes.
I invite you to make it into one gallon though, I have never eaten beer with a spoon before ;-)

My recipe (which I modified from Scuba's 1gallon recipe) is for 5 gallons, yes.
I invite you to make it into one gallon though, I have never eaten beer with a spoon before ;-)

Hmmm.. Beer oatmeal? :) "Beer..It's what's for breakfast!"

A (maybe crazy) idea. Instead of adding apples in secondary. Maybe try adding apfelwein in secondary instead?

How did you get rid of the oils? It's my understanding that oils act as a surfactant (?) that makes the forces necessary to retain bubble walls (LaPlace forces?) too high for the cohesion/attraction (?) of the proteins... or so I think I heard!

Clearly I don't know much about this, but I am wondering, how did you handle the oils from the bacon? Maybe they all congealed into solids because the beer was cold and it was an animal lipid source?

How did you get rid of the oils? It's my understanding that oils act as a surfactant (?) that makes the forces necessary to retain bubble walls (LaPlace forces?) too high for the cohesion/attraction (?) of the proteins... or so I think I heard!

Clearly I don't know much about this, but I am wondering, how did you handle the oils from the bacon? Maybe they all congealed into solids because the beer was cold and it was an animal lipid source?

I cooked the bacon in the oven until just under burnt (which is how I like bacon anways), immediately transferred to paper towels while still hot, then immediately pressed with paper towels to pull out as much oil as possible. It wound up breaking the bacon into small pieces but minimized the oil.. though I'm sure a lot was still present in the bacon. I dry porked the beer with the bacon pieces inside a muslin hop bag.

The bacon porter seems to hold its head better than the regular porter, oddly enough.

Back