1" D blow off tube help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CbusHbrew

Reaction score
I wanted to use a large tube for a blow off tube so I bought a 1" diameter vinyl tube. The books I read recommended using a 1 1/8 tube but no stores in my area carried that size. When I insert it in the jug it is to loose and won't keep a seal. Any ideas to get the tube to fit better? I thought of using tin foil wrapped around it with rubber bands holding it in place but am afraid the pressure would break the seal before reaching the jar of sanitizer. For now I am using my small siphon tube as the blow off in the stopper. I figured the bigger the tube the more dead yeast and hop trub would escape.

I can't take the tube back as you can't return cut items, sucks. :(

I'm not sure if you're talking carboy or smaller vessel, but if you can put an airlock in the vessel just put your vinyl tubing through the top of the airlock. Make sure you cut the bottom of the airlock so the part you put in the stopper has a clean opening and gunk doesn't get stuck in there. After that you can just proceed as usual. I'd post a pic but I'm at work right now.

You could wrap the outside of the tube with some good electrical tape (or duct tape) to increase the diameter so it fits snugly.

Back