1/4 liq. disconnects, 3/16 line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fratermus

Reaction score
I understand 3/16th beer lines can be preferable because of the increased restriction, but all the disconnects I see are 1/4 size. Are people just shoving the 3/16 lines onto the 1/4 barbs? Or are there really 3/16 disconnects that I am not successfully googling?

Backstory: I recently got in on the HBT Corny Keg free-for-all, mainly because I want to play with cornies as primary/secondary fermenters. I am also shopping for cylinder/regulator so I can purge/rack with CO2. I suppose at some point I'll get a chest freezer for fermentation and convert my existing small fridge/fermenter into a kegerator.

I recently switched to 3/16" lines and had a hard time getting them onto the barbed fittings (1/4"). I ran the end of the line under very hot water to soften up the hose, then slipped in onto the fitting. It works okay, but I still use hose clamps to make sure they do not slip off.

Salute! :mug:

put a coffe cup of water in the microcwave , until the water boils, then dip the 3/16" line into the water for about 10-15 seconds. Then just push onto the barb. What's nice about the 3/16" on 1/4" barb is you could go without a worm clamp if you wanted, but I just play it safe and use one. On my party taps (which are temporary use at parties) I dont use a clamp.

I was able to get them on the barbs just by running them under the faucet as hot as it would go. Of course it took a lot of grunting and cussing too, but that comes with the territory.

Ok, thanks. I was worried that everyone but me had the secret 3/16 disconnects. :)

Back