1/4-20 thermocouple... grrrrrr

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nrjones89

Reaction score
My PID stuff just arrived in the mail today and I realized that the K-thermocouple that came with it is too small. Apparently it is not 1/4 but rather 1/4 x 20. No idea what that means. I have a 1/2" NPT coupling and a 1/2" to 1/4" bushing. Is there a stainless bushing I can get, or what can I do to get it in the 1/2 coupling??

1/4-20 = 1/4" thread diameter, 20 threads per inch. I've never seen a pipe thread to machine thread bushing. Are you installing in a thermowell or a 1/2" NPT port?

If it's one of those cheap thermocouples on Amazon or eBay, I'd just re-order something that will work with your set up. Also, since you're replacing it, ditch the thermocouple and go with an RTD. I retrofitted my kettle to electric last year. Tried to use a thermocouple but the drift was pretty bad and stability was awful. Bought a cheap RTD on Amazon for a replacement. Right out of the box, it was more accurate than the thermocouple.

You'll need something like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all for replies. I may eventually replace with an RTD. Right now, I'm wondering if I can find a thread adapter at Ace and use pipe compound to seal it??

If you're talking about the K-type that comes with a MyPin PID (see attached) the stainless is so poor, it will rust in short order. They're hard to seal and not designed for brewing, for the price you pay for an adapter, you can get an RTD probe that will fit your system .
41tiFHN0pnL._SY355_.jpg

Looks like the same type. I got an Inkbird one. Okay, I am convinced to buy an RTD.

I was also wondering if I should put a voltmeter or ampmeter in the circuit? Anybody else do that?

Latest posts

Back