1/2lb to 1lb of Hops - REALLY?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5 - 6 ounces in 5 gallons are all you really need to make a hoppy IPA. The key is using hop varieties with strong flavor and aroma, and making sure they are fresh and have been properly stored. A neutral malt base (without Crystal) is also key. I get strong flavor and aroma with 4 oz in the boil and 2 oz dry hop.
What?

No way ive been know to use at leat a pound and last one was all citra. Sn pale ale has more then that.
Ive mad saisons with more hops^^
Id agree even on a sesion ipa youll need atleasy 8 oz even if its a moster like simco.

What?

No way ive been know to use at leat a pound and last one was all citra. Sn pale ale has more then that.
Ive mad saisons with more hops^^
Id agree even on a sesion ipa youll need atleasy 8 oz even if its a moster like simco.

Yes way. 2 to 4 lbs per barrel, or 4 to 8 ounces per 5 gallons. I'm not saying heavier hopping isn't good, but 5-6 oz of fresh hops in an IPA are quite delicious. Pale ales, 3 oz for balanced hoppiness. Saisons being yeast focused, an ounce or two, but I've done hoppy ones too and suppose you can overhop just about anything if you want to.

I brew NEIPA's more than anything else and use 3 oz at flameout, 3 oz at whirlpool, 3 oz at primary DH, and 3 oz at regular DH. Probably what a lot of people do for the style. I have been thinking about cleaning out the old hop freezer and making each of those additions 4, 5 or even 6 oz each just to see what happens.

My last NEIPA was 3 oz whirlpool, 3 oz DH day 2, 3 oz day 10, for 5.5 gallons. There is no bitterness at all. Huge hop presence up front that disappears within a few seconds.

I think the OP was just ranting, which is ok. But I don't think there is a need to slam ppl for making a juice bomb. I would agree that adding a pound of hops at 60 minutes is crazy, but post flame out no.

Back