1/2 Gallon of Yeast??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJTroz

Palm Harbor Brewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I typically do not rinse my dry yeast however, I figured that since I do for the liquid strains, I might as well do it for the dry strains. I just kegged an IPA (5 gal) that was fermented on 2 packs of US-05. I dumped all of the trub into a 1-gal jug, filled with distilled water, shook and capped. An hour later, I come back to about 4" of solid-colored material. Is it possible that this is all yeast? I'm typically able to rinse a small amount after each batch, maybe a tablespoon or two (obviously, I cannot measure the actual amount being it's in with distilled water) but never have I seen this. I'm thinking it's trub but you could see a couple inches of trub at the bottom. The 4" above that is all 1 color. I tried to upload a picture but the window doesn't close on it's own allowing me to upload it.

without a photo it is hard for any of us to assist. Typically, there is a lot of trub in a fermenter depending on if you filter after the boil, whirlpool and leave wort behind in the kettle. Also, this is an IPA, so that means you've most likely dry hopped, so that would also need to be accounted for.

Probably not. What was your OG? I'd assume a good portion of it is hop additions. You may want to rinse it at least one or two more times before you decide it's good to go. I've heard weird things happen when you rinse dry yeast.

I rinsed S04 once and it absolutely REFUSED to floc. So........?

I figured out the photo issue - it was too large. I resized it and attached it.

Mouse - Thanks for the reply. I usually add most of the trub post-boil except IPAs which because of the late addition hops, I add all remains. I figured there would be extra remains, this batch was 5oz totals hops.

Monkey - Thanks for the reply. The OG was 1.066. I got tied up with the kids and didn't get a change to do another rinse on it. There are 3 different batches that I started rinsing today. After my opening post, I put all of the jugs in the fridge until tomorrow. I'll rinse it a few more times and see if I can get an separation. It just seems odd that none of yeast (that I can see) is sitting at the top. All of that top level is the same solid color, not white/off-white.

20160430_202954_2.jpg

I figured out the photo issue - it was too large. I resized it and attached it.

Mouse - Thanks for the reply. I usually add most of the trub post-boil except IPAs which because of the late addition hops, I add all remains. I figured there would be extra remains, this batch was 5oz totals hops.

Monkey - Thanks for the reply. The OG was 1.066. I got tied up with the kids and didn't get a change to do another rinse on it. There are 3 different batches that I started rinsing today. After my opening post, I put all of the jugs in the fridge until tomorrow. I'll rinse it a few more times and see if I can get an separation. It just seems odd that none of yeast (that I can see) is sitting at the top. All of that top level is the same solid color, not white/off-white.

Most likely all your viable yeast is still in suspension from the looks of the jug. I'd decant some of the fluid into a small jar of it's own and see how that flocculates out. :mug:

Latest posts

Back