1/2 gallon ball lock keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats not a keg, its a growler made to look like a commercial sanke keg. It doesnt have the keg posts and wont be able to be hooked up to the QDs

EDIT: oh wait, are you syaing it just kinda looks like that but has the posts added with the diptube and everything? do you have a picture of it?

You can find the growlers easy enough on eBay and Amazon. The the top with the quick connects I have only found on eBay or through Mancan.com (the later being very expensive).
I have a few minor complaints about the difficulty I have in removing the beer quick connect, but I not so much that I am not going to get 4 of them.

morebeer has the ManCan. I was just looking at them and did a search here to see if anyone had tried one.

55236995.jpg

;)

Do you have this particular model? I'm definitely going to buy a 1gal growler with CO2 dispenser. I've been taking one of 2.5gal kegs and 5lb cylinder of CO2 to parties.

My buddy has that exact one. I've used it a few times. Works pretty awesome. A little hard to dial co2 pressure in if you wanted to carbonate but no problems for serving.

It is a bad ass setup.

My buddy has that exact one. I've used it a few times. Works pretty awesome. A little hard to dial co2 pressure in if you wanted to carbonate but no problems for serving.

It is a bad ass setup.

Thanks again for the info. There is another one called the beer barrel that I found on Amazon for $150. It uses a hose instead of a tap but the regulator is on the top instead of out to the side making it less bulky. But other than that it is basically the same keg/growler. The microkeg that you posted looks like it could tip over easily with everything sticking out to the side. Did you find it to be stable?

Do you have this particular model? I'm definitely going to buy a 1gal growler with CO2 dispenser. I've been taking one of 2.5gal kegs and 5lb cylinder of CO2 to parties.

The guy who runs that website is in my local homebrew club and he has brought the micro keg to the meetings a few times. The regulator can be a bit finicky, but once you get it dialed in the whole thing is pretty nice. I've poured from it and it felt pretty stable. I'm sure as it empties it becomes less stable, but that shouldn't be a problem if you're not hulking on the tap handle.

The guy who runs that website is in my local homebrew club and he has brought the micro keg to the meetings a few times. The regulator can be a bit finicky, but once you get it dialed in the whole thing is pretty nice. I've poured from it and it felt pretty stable. I'm sure as it empties it becomes less stable, but that shouldn't be a problem if you're not hulking on the tap handle.

Thanks!

$150 to keep 1 gallon worth of beer pressurized? Why not just bring 2 growlers?

owl-srsly.jpg

Of course you could take multiple growlers if you plan to consume the beer quickly. I want to be able to keep a small amount of beer carbonated for a couple of days if necessary. I have a 3-tap kegerator in my basement and a single tap kegerator at my lake house, but that means I have to haul a 2.5 or 5 gal keg up to the mountains. My wife does not drink beer and if it is just the two of us for a weekend, I don't need 2.5 gal of beer.

Of course you could take multiple growlers if you plan to consume the beer quickly. I want to be able to keep a small amount of beer carbonated for a couple of days if necessary. I have a 3-tap kegerator in my basement and a single tap kegerator at my lake house, but that means I have to haul a 2.5 or 5 gal keg up to the mountains. My wife does not drink beer and if it is just the two of us for a weekend, I don't need 2.5 gal of beer.

Spend your money as you wish. In my experience a sealed growler will keep 'fresh' for a few days while one that is open will last many hours. If you are drinking a gallon over a weekend, it seems like drinking one growler one day and another the next should work. YMMV.

Growlers certainly don't have the 'bling' factor though.

I havent bought one, but the draw to me is being able to force carb a one gallon batch using my existing keezer equipment, at the same cost as a 1 gallon corny but with the added advantage of being able to get it filled commercially as well.

It is surprisingly stable. You don't have to pull very hard on the tap handle to get it to pour as long as you aren't a dirty crusty slob who lets the tap get sticky. As far as I can tell it is similar to the man can at a steep discount. Man can is just buying those things from china and reselling. Same game that stout kettles, ebrewsupply and auber play.

The awesome thing with the ball lock is that you can actually carbonate in this thing alongside your other kegs. It really is an awesome option for the micro-batch biab guys that only make a gallon of beer.

I have three of them, two of the 64 oz, and one 128 oz. They work great and IMHO well worth the money and portability. My only comment is don't get the CO2 regulator from man can. The first one I received (regulator, not can) quickly blew a seal and wouldn't hold pressure. To their credit though, they found out the problem, and are replacing everyone's regulator. Their regulator also will not force carb the beer, it's only for dispensing. I bought the regulator from Williams brewing and it's much better, on top of being able to force carb with it.

Just my two cents.

Best place to find the mancan is off of eBay from the Chinese manufactures. Beergrowler2000 is the username. You have to wait a bit, but they are much cheaper.
I have a 64 oz can with the ball lock cap. Works pretty good but I think I want to get a spree top too.

Back