1-2-3 Format

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gator

Reaction score
is there anything wrong w/ letting a plain ole IPA age in primary for more than a week????

are there any advantages to this????

just curious, gator

Nothing.

Go with what you feel needs done or want to do or what you have time for. I've left stuff sit a little longer just because I didnt have time to do it.

I've learned there's no set schedule for beer.

It will probably be better - in fact I follow a 2-2-3 schedule now, the longer primary has resulted in an extra point or two drop in gravity and a better tasting final product IMO.

Personally, and many others on the forum here, have dropped secondary all together and are actually doing 3 - 4 week primary's then into the bottle or keg.

I do 3-4 weeks in primary, then a short secondary of a week or less usually. The only reason I do the short secondary (other than dry hopping) is because I can be sloppy with my autosiphon and get a little trub. The week or so in secondary lets that bit of gunk settle out so I get cleaner beer in the bottle. If I wasn't ham-handed, I'd skip the secondary like the cool kids do.

Beer doesn't follow a schedule. It is done when it is done. It might be done in 5 days, it might be done in 21 days. It depends. You need to tune into your beer, get some Zen action going on.

Personally, and many others on the forum here, have dropped secondary all together and are actually doing 3 - 4 week primary's then into the bottle or keg.

I have done it both ways, and only secondary when i want a cleaner final product.

Every beer varies. I have one recipe that is 1-.5 (1 week in primary, forcecarbed in 3 days) and tastes delicious (Wizens are quick)

I tend to go with a 3-whatever schedule. Three weeks in the primary, then into the keg. I carb it and let it sit until it tastes good.

Mostly it is a 3-3 or 3-4 schedule.

:mug:

1-2-3 is mostly to keep the first-time brewer's from racking to secondary the instant the airlock stops bubbling.

pretty much all the alternatives mentioned above my post are just as correct, possibly more correct given specific recipes/gravities.

Depends on the style, I use 2-2-4, 4-1-3, 4-3 etc. The 123 method does work, but I wouldn't say it is the best method.

Especially when you are first starting out, do what works for you and your set up. You may prefer racking to a Bright (secondary) for your clearer ales, or you may have the patience to let your beer bottle condition for 6 weeks before even tasting one.

I used to always secondary, but I'm lazy and now I do 3 weeks primary, and keg. I always brew close to 6 gallons so I'm not worried about intentionally wasting a few ounces of beer to avoid getting yucky trub in the keg.

For me it's 3 wks in the primary then bottle. Sits in bottle for at least 6 wks before I drink.

One thing to keep in mind (maybe it's just my thing to make myself more patient) is that the longer it sits in the primary, the more time the yeast and trub have time to compact, thus leaving you more beer to bottle.

My first brews I could only wait 10 days or so and I always had a lot more beer left in the primary due to floaties, etc.

The beer I have in primary right now is tempting me to use the "10 days and then drink it from the fermenter with a big straw" method.

Latest posts

Back