1.052 --> 1.006

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacoGuthrie

Reaction score
I just racked a batch of ESB from a carboy over to my keg and it seems a bit 'funny'.

Some stats:
Mashed at 153
OG 1.052
FG 1.006
Yeast: WY1275 - Thames Valley

Had lots of airlock activity for a long time. It seemed to go on for a long long time. The airlock finally settled down after 8 days. I racked a day later.

FG was 1.006, which is quite low considering I mashed at 153.

Beer has a very estery, banana smell to it. I've used Thames Valley before and didn't get this much of estery out of it. It tastes ok but I can't get much hop flavour in there, considering all the late additions of Cent and Cascade. 1 oz each at FO.

53 -> 6 is a big drop. I was looking at HOw To Brew and read about Gusher Infection:
These infections can occur at any time and are due to wild yeasts or bacteria that eat the higher order sugars, like dextrins. The result in the fermentor is a beer that keeps bubbling until all of the carbohydrates are fermented, leaving a beer that has no body and very little taste.

Any thoughts on this? Am I overthinking this? It's crashing in the fridge right now and will carb in a day or two.

pabloj13 said:
Room temp or beer temp?

The temp on the stick on thermometer on the carboy.

I know beer temp can be +5 than room temp. However 1275 should be good up to 72.

Here's hoping.

I've used this yeast a half dozen times. This beer hasn't tasted like any other going into the keg.

Figure I should update this thread. The old adage "Hurry up and wait" rings true again!

2 weeks later this beer has really come around. Must've been tasting a green flavour. It was just a different green flavour than i've had in the past. Could be because of a different base malt.

Latest posts

Back