1.031 gravity after a week...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eadavis80

Reaction score
Brewed a Brooklyn Brewing oatmeal stout over a week ago. Took a gravity reading a week after pitching their dried yeast (rehydrated and aerated) and saw krausen for a couple days after pitching. AFter that, I switched to airlock and never saw bubbles go from days 3-7. A week after pitching the gravity was 1.031. I figured it should at least be 1.020 a week after pitching. Don't know the yeast strain (they don't say) and I don't know the OG as I didn't take one on brew day (careless error). Added some harvested US-04, a few days ago and no airlock activity still. Did not make a starter, but I only have .8 gallon and I had 25 ML of yeast that was harvested less than two weeks after adding it to the oatmeal stout. The 04 was in the fridge from harvest date until I added it except for the several hours I let it warm to room temp. The oatmeal stout has been sitting at 67 degrees for over a week now. I've even gently swirled it a few times in hopes of getting the yeast going. Time to add yeast energizer or is this just a doomed batch for whatever reason?

If you know your original grain bill-use a calculator to estimate what the OG was (and I would use a conservative efficiency %) If your Oatmeal Stout was high gravity to begin with-this may be normal.

What method are you using to measure the final gravity?

My post said it's been at 67 degrees for a week. That's the room temp. It might change a degree or two, but it's not like it's at 62 or less...

Yes and I just took another reading minutes ago, so these readings were a few days apart and they both read 1.031, so it's not changing. I think I'll make a mini starter (1 cup of water and 1/4 cup DME) and use that with my other mason jar of US-04 and see if that does anything. I'll do that with some yeast energizer and if that doesn't do it, I guess I'll just end with a lousy 6 pack of super sweet oatmeal stout. AT this point, I'm up for adding anything to the fermenter since I have no faith in this batch. I might even throw in some chocolate and more brown sugar and just see what happens. The kit was only $7.50, so at this point I just want to have fun with it. It's not like I'll be out $40 or so with a regular 5-gallon batch...

Well, yesterday I boiled up 4 cups of water and a cup of DME and threw in some Hershey chocolate and a few tablespoons of table sugar, cooled it and threw it in my 1.031 wort/beer hoping something would happen. Three hours later I had visible krausen and airlock activity so if nothing else I know the harvested US-04 I had in there was still viable. I have no idea what the resulting beer will taste like, but at least I had fun and since the kit was only $7.50 that's all I really care about at this point. Hopefully I get 6 drinkable beers in it. I've read conflicting reports on adding milk chocolate to beer, so this is an experiment if nothing else.

Latest posts

Back