0ctoberfest beer bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomy2

Reaction score
Ok, brewed an extract kit of oct fest.....left it in the primary for 3 weeks....and last week put it in the glass carboy (total of 4 weeks since brewday). Last 2 hydro readings were unchanged....when should I bottle? Thoughts?

tonight?

What yeast and what reading?

But you should be good at a normal temp range... especially after racking to a secondary, which will rouse the yeast to activity (normally) if it is going to restart.

I would bottle, hold them at 72 degrees, roll them daily, and crack one (after chilling) on wednesday night before thanks giving. If not carbed then... hold until Decemeber... 3 weeks, 70 degrees...

but I bet you are golden to bottle.

You really didn;t need to rack it to secondary after those three weeks. Leaving it in primary longer does the same thing as racking to a carboy. If you leave it in primary for 3-4 weeks, like many of us do, then you just go straight to bottle.

SO...now.

ahhhhh....okie...looks like i will bottle then.....reading was 1.020 on the hydro....when you say roll them daily? also my temp where i have the carboy now ranges from 45-60 degrees.....that ok?

What is the yeast?

45 to 60 is low enough that it might slow down your friends enough to suprise you when they warm up. I would move it somewhere warmer for 48 hours before bottling. That said... I still would not worry too much at this point. What is the liquid temp. 50's is chilly for some yeasts...

Someone suggested swirling my bottles daily one time when I was trying to carb quickly. May have been luck, but they carbed up for me. I figuered you may have been itching to drink by turkey day with friends or family.

Revvy usually has good observations on this stuff as well. He sees more of what folks experience than me.

If you are that low your beer will take forever to carb up. It is best to have the bottles at 70 degrees and average grav beers will usually carb up around three weeks, give or take. The cooler your bottles are, the longer it will take.

I write about the carbonation/conditioning process here;

Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience."

Chef, I'm also watching Old videos of Marco Pierre White cooking shows, back when he was in his late 20's and one of his "boys" as he called them, his cooks was a teen named Gordon Ramsey, with an 80's hairdo like someone out of a flock of seagulls.

Chef, I'm also watching Old videos of Marco Pierre White cooking shows, back when he was in his late 20's and one of his "boys" as he called them, his cooks was a teen named Gordon Ramsey, with an 80's hairdo like someone out of a flock of seagulls.

Scary.

I thought I was the only one who did stuff like this....But perhaps that is... the story of a young heart...its not me talking ...i ran

sorry....

props to marco, but I still like AB better.

Scary.

I thought I was the only one who did stuff like this....But perhaps that is... the story of a young heart...its not me talking ...i ran

sorry....

props to marco, but I still like AB better.

I'm just a frustrated, wannabe chef who loves food, and cooking but would never have the guts to do what you do...actually cook in a pressure situation. But I love to putter around my kitchen...Heck that's sort of how I got into homebrewing, as an extension of cooking and eating. When the temp cools I go into cooking hibernation. Spending the entire weekend cooking.

Today I marinaded chicken thighs in garam masala. then grilled them an did a coconut milk/lime/peanut butter/tahini/sambal olec/sesame oil sauce over rice. TOmorrow, I'm brewing an IPA and making jambalaya.

And if I am truly motivated I will also bake coconut caramel bars similar to Girl scout samoa cookies.

Oh, my current bedtime reading material consist of "Mastering the art of French cooking" as well as re-reading Anthony Bourdain's "A cook's Tour."

Bourdains a good read. The man has good POV and skills in the kitchen.

cooking is different for everyone... I take the pressure because I love the mission I cook for... I am still working non profit/ministry... not sure I would do it for cash anymore

Funy thing is I found brewing first, then gave it all to cooking. For me it is the flow... the moment, the passion. It is all or nothing on the line. We do not fail. period. no one cares. no reason, just the moment. It has cleansed me in some way.

Honestly, in some ways being dedicated to the home kitchen requires a greater mastery... it is more expensive and less forgiving (if that is possible).

It still is for the love.

It is to serve another.

the same as my beer. I love to give to them.

and I would love the recipe for the samoa ish bars....

I am tired.

sorry to jack the thread.

whichever one this is!

Just a quick note to say my beer came out great (I think). Thanks to all you guys who have responded to my questions!

:rockin:

Back