08-08-08

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

08-08-08 What to do?

• Brew on 08-08-08

• Drink on 08-08-08

Results are only viewable after voting.
Sheet! I'm late to this party, but it sounds like a blast. I'm in!! Never brewed high gravity beer like this! Can't wait. Off to LHBS today;

Wahoo!

Is there a promash recipe file around for download?

Chriso
I'm not sure what the problem is, but I am getting much higher IBU's in both Beersmith and Promash. This shows 121 in Promash.

Screen02.jpg

A few others reported wild discrepancies such as that. The verdict from Brewpastor was either say "to hell with IBUs" and brew it as-is, or if you want, mess around with varieties or amounts until you get an IBU number you like.

I lost most my 2nd ounce of Magnum to a boilover, so mine has Magnum, U.S. Goldings, and a little bit of GR Hersbrucker for fun. Should be cool seeing all the minute differences between our RISes.

chriso said:
A few others reported wild discrepancies such as that. The verdict from Brewpastor was either say "to hell with IBUs" and brew it as-is, or if you want, mess around with varieties or amounts until you get an IBU number you like.

I had a couple discrepancies as well with the IBUs and went with the "to hell with IBUs" route and brewed it up anyway. The RIS fears no IBU. :D

chriso said:

I lost most my 2nd ounce of Magnum to a boilover, so mine has Magnum, U.S. Goldings, and a little bit of GR Hersbrucker for fun. Should be cool seeing all the minute differences between our RISes.

Ok, I'm going to go for it as-is. Thanks. By the way, is there a particular water profile that works best for this style?

chriso said:

Also check what formula you are using for IBUs. I believe BrewPastor used Rager. With a beer this far on the edge in gravity and bitterness the differences between formulas becomes magnified.
Craig

I adjusted the gravity of my wort to get the IBU's I wanted and then did a late extract addition to finish it off.

I just got back from LHBS. They were out of Caramunich and only had german crystal 60L. Hops were good in stock. I subbed Scottish Carastan (70-80L) for the Caramunich. Going to start my yeast, free up a fermenter and get ready to brew tomorrow. Any last minute words of advice? This will be a no-sparge version of the recipe. I get to use my new Barley Crusher for the first time too. Man, I love brewing beer.

KD

what temp are you all fermenting this batch at? i had mine at 66-68 until my fan crapped out on my fermentation chiller. now it's going to be at 71 until i can get it fixed :mad:

DeathBrewer said:
what temp are you all fermenting this batch at? i had mine at 66-68 until my fan crapped out on my fermentation chiller. now it's going to be at 71 until i can get it fixed :mad:
Mine fermented at about 64F. Thats my basement temp this time of year. It will get a little below 60F in the heart of the winter and almost to 70 in the heat of the summer. Pretty good temps for ales all year long. Though I may have to figure out some kind of heat to finish off Belgian ales with the appropriate amount of esters.
Craig

I had to move mine from the closet where I normally keep it. Checked the temp and it was in the mid 70's, (It hasn't been that way the whole time). Now it's in a corner of the dining room covered with a box/towel and a one gal jug of ice close by.

I'm hoping to get it down below 70.

Mine has been bubbling steady for 5 days at around 68 degrees. Mine hasn't jumped over 70 as of yet so I'm pleased.

Ok, I justed aerated and pitched. Somehow missed my post boil OG by a bit. The worst part is that I bought half the Fuggles I was supposed to because I am a moron. I subbed some Northwest "C" stuff at flame out. We'll see what happens. I'm pretty cranky right now.

KD

ha! it was nice a cool today anyway...it was between 64 and 67, lol. might get kinda cold tonight, tho...i think i'll put the chiller back together for some insulation against the cold :D

I plugged in my heating pad on my carboy an upped the temp to low 70s and the gravity started dropping again, it's currently 1.022 and tastes just about right, porbably a bit sweet yet for the style but yay, it kicked the yeast back into gear :) had me worried for having the same gravity for 3 days there...

Mine is racking into the secondary right now. My mash temp was too hight for a bit, around 160 for about 15 minutes until I managed to cool it down to the proper temp. It shows in the FG, I've got 1.028 right now, just inside the guideline of 1018-1030. I had an OG of 1.084. Not that bad. It tastes GREAT going into the secondary. Do we have a designated bottling day?
Paul

I haven't even considered racking mine since I'm STILL getting bubbles from the blowoff tube. I figure it'll still be a few days before it goes to secondary.

Alright...just got mine in the fermenter today. Finished at 1.086....close enough. ALSO.....tried partigyle brewing. Ended up running an extra 5 gal thru the mlt....it was like 1.030 after 60 min boil, hop additions. I did an English style brom, with challenger and EKG I had around. I chilled that sucker all the way down, then realized the gravity was too low! I had to fire it back up and boil it down some more. Prolly gonna be a 3 gal batch....but hey, that's 3 gals of beer I didn't have before...:D.

ScubaSteve said:
Alright...just got mine in the fermenter today. Finished at 1.086....close enough. ALSO.....tried partigyle brewing. Ended up running an extra 5 gal thru the mlt....it was like 1.030 after 60 min boil, hop additions. I did an English style brom, with challenger and EKG I had around. I chilled that sucker all the way down, then realized the gravity was too low! I had to fire it back up and boil it down some more. Prolly gonna be a 3 gal batch....but hey, that's 3 gals of beer I didn't have before...:D.

I did a no-sparge mash, but didn't use the spent grains for a small beer. Gotta try that some time. It was dark, and I was tired. Cost me 6 bucks extra for the grain.

Yeah...I didn't really plan on doing it either. I vaguely remembered someone doing a partigyle off the RIS, so when I saw how dark my third runnings were (did a double sparge) I figured what the hell. Brewing 2 beers at the same time was definitely an experience. Glad I put 3 burners into my rig.....

ScubaSteve said:
Yeah...I didn't really plan on doing it either. I vaguely remembered someone doing a partigyle off the RIS, so when I saw how dark my third runnings were (did a double sparge) I figured what the hell. Brewing 2 beers at the same time was definitely an experience. Glad I put 3 burners into my rig.....

Three burners, yeah! Building a B10 now, but am looking forward to CRDFM with two pots. Can't wait!!

10 days after brew day I have reached SG of 1.030. I moved from my living room, where it was at a comfortable 68 degrees, to the basement, where the fermometer is reading a steady 62 about two days ago. Still bubbling, so I'll wait until I get somewhere closer to 1.022. Can't wait to bottle this one!

Twelve days in the carboy and the gravity is at .030. I haven't really been watching the blow-off tube so I can't say if she's still bubbling, but I am gonna switch to an airlock and see how she looks. Either way, it'll stay in primary for at least a week longer.

BTW, tastes yummy. :rockin:

My fiance called it the "Blood of Satan". Hmmm, I think we have a winner for a name! No longer is it just 08-08-08 RIS. From now on it shall be dubbed the "Blood of Satan RIS".

I think I'm christening mine Damn Dark! Russian Imperial Stout

The label's subcaption will be "No, really, I can't see a fscking thing!"

Ha. I love Beersmith's color swatch for how the beer should look. First time I've ever seen it PITCH BLACK!

7 nights in the fermenter and I am down to 1.027. Considerable taste difference between samples. Tastes pretty good; I'm a little nervous about my hops mishap, but we shall see. Should this beer go to a secondary for a while, or direct to bottle for conditioning? Either way, I am giving it another week in the conical since I am leaving town.

This sounds awesome...am planning to give it a go next weekend (a little late I know). I will have to order the hops though, and I've seen several different hop schedules for this (Targets->Fuggles; Horizon->EKG, etc.)

Is there any consensus on the best? Anyone who'd brewed it already have any feedback? Looks like Targets are going for $7/oz...yikes!

Can't wait to do this!

BrewDey said:
Is there any consensus on the best? Anyone who'd brewed it already have any feedback? Looks like Targets are going for $7/oz...yikes!

Can't wait to do this!

WTF? $7/oz.?? Where are you buying hops from??? If you want Targets, buy'em from Midwest. At least they're only $2.75.

I used Warriors and Fuggles for my 8-8-8. Can't tell you the outcome really yet...will be sitting in the secondary for awhile. So far, so good though.

Thanks! I really dig it, I love the old skool game-boy based RPGs. All you ever need to play are Up, Down, A, and Pause. :D

korndog said:
Will some here repitch at bottling time for this recipe? If so, what would the procedure be?
If you bottle within a few months of brewing there should be no need to repitch. My RIS I did this summer was 2 months in the fermenters and carbonated with no problem.
If your going to store it in a carboy for 6 months then you should probably rehydrate a pack or 1/2 pack of dry yeast and mix it into the bottling bucket before bottling.

Craig

Back