08-08-08 Russian Imperial Stout Exchange

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine went in the mail this afternoon. I sent packages to Professor Frink, Trencher, Shunoshi and I also sent a package to Brewpastor since it was his recipe. I included 2 22oz bomber of the 888. I felt sort of cheap only sending out the bare minimum so I sent everyone a bottle of my strawberry wine from last summer. The strawberry is somewhere between off dry and semisweet. Pair it with a tart desert or a desert that isn't too sweet. Or just enjoy it chilled by itself on a soft summer night.

PTN

I'm delaying mine intentionally. The carbonation is coming on very slowly. It's significantly more carbonated today than the last time I tried it about a month ago, but it needs more time. To prevent early sampling, I'll be sending them late (certainly in time for 8/8/8). Expect a nice gift to be sent along as a sort of apology (Central Market has some OUTSTANDING beers for sale).

I was starting to wonder, since I've gotten my other two shipments of booze. A guilt-ridden gift of beer is always a welcome addition to any swap! :D

Great, I just noticed that I'm getting beer from the two new moderators. Do I dare do an honest critique, or do I ingratiate myself singing songs of praise of their god-like brewing prowess?

Mine were sent out earlier this week. Two of the three should be there already, if not by today, DeathBrewer and JacobyHale. Professor Frink should have it on monday. Let me know if there was any problems in shipping.

I neglected to post, but yesterday marks exactly 3 months till 08-08-08!!!

How is everyone enjoying their packages so far?

Cheers!
-c

I have sampled some of my own, but intend on waiting until 8-8-8 for any beers I recieve.
Same here. Cracked only one of my own last week on a cold night...

Did not disappoint.

When I got Pastors' package, I opened to inspect. Repackaged and stowed the box away where I can't see it until the magic date arrives.

i'll definitely be holding on to my received brews. i've tried a few of my own, tho...they're mighty tasty. kinda hard to hold on to...maybe i should bury them :D

I plan to save all brews I received in the swap. Unfortunately... one of Brewpastor's was a little leaky when it arrived and I decided better to enjoy it now than waste it later. :D Delicious!
I'll definitely hold onto the rest for August. That's going to be a great Friday afternoon... :tank:

Didn't we all agree to age until and sample on 8/8/8? Why is everyone drinking early?
Sorry I traded an 8 yr old RIS I made back in 2000 and wasn't involved in the 8-8-8. I didn't know everyone was supoose to wait till then.

I plan to save all brews I received in the swap. Unfortunately... one of Brewpastor's was a little leaky when it arrived and I decided better to enjoy it now than waste it later. :D Delicious!
I'll definitely hold onto the rest for August. That's going to be a great Friday afternoon... :tank:

If you remember it! LOL

I tried one of CCBarons beers and one of Poindexters early (with their permission) when we held the Bosotn Brew Day on 4/19. Many HBTer's were there to enjoy and sample: myself, Beergears, JustMrWill, BigJohn, Melana, and Kaiser. We all judged the beers to be excellent. I didn't score them that day, we were sampling MANY brews as the day went on and I wanted to give each beer a fair shake, so I'll reserve the judging and commenting until the official day.

PTN

received 1/3 so far.

I am right with you there.

I have recveived 1/3.

Dude number two shipped twice, once without my apartment number. I called UPS, they said they would deliver to my leasing office, they didn't. So Dude #2 reshipped the box when it got back to him, that time the trace said the box was destroyed in transit and UPS would contact the shipper. I don't have any actual beer from Dude #2 yet.

Dude #3 I haven't heard from at all.

So what day do I call people out? Late June maybe? For now I am in Alaska with intermittent internet access. Dudes 2 and 3 have a lower 48 addy of mine to ship to, I'll get home in September...

Dude #1 sent 4 12s, the two not RIS ones were fabulous.

Regards,
P

I am right with you there.

I have recveived 1/3.

Dude number two shipped twice, once without my apartment number. I called UPS, they said they would deliver to my leasing office, they didn't. So Dude #2 reshipped the box when it got back to him, that time the trace said the box was destroyed in transit and UPS would contact the shipper. I don't have any actual beer from Dude #2 yet.

So what day do I call people out? Late June maybe? For now I am in Alaska with intermittent internet access. Dudes 2 and 3 have a lower 48 addy of mine to ship to, I'll get home in September...

Dude #1 sent 4 12s, the two not RIS ones were fabulous.

Regards,
P

It must be going around. I shipped one to the wrong address, and the second got lost in transit. Gotta ship out 2 more boxes...

I made a mistake when I entered Poindexter's address back in February - the spreadsheet was missing part of the address the whole time, and I was more concerned with fixing all the "who drew who" mistakes I made to think about the addresses. I'm terribly sorry that this happened, I can only hope that was the only major error I made.

People that haven't received at least a PM from one of their beer-senders should send me a PM.

People that haven't sent a PM to their recipients should do so, like, yesterday.

People that haven't started an "RIS Swap - *yourname*'s Beers" thread should do so - but it looks like the vast majority of you have, so thank you for doing it!

And finally, people that have received their beer safely should at least drop a comment into that person's "RIS Swap - *theirname*'s Beers" thread noting that they were received. Again, most of you have done just that - but I noticed a few threads with 0 comments and a note from the OP about not knowing if they were received safely.

MOST of this appears to have gone smoothly, I know we always have a few potholes along the way, but I hope that overall, all of you are feeling at least somewhat satisfied with participating in this swap. I know I am, this has been an incredible process. :)

So what day do I call people out?

If you have not heard anything from your sender...PM them, Email them, etc...

If you have tried and received no response, it's time to name names.

Fallout is a risk we take in a public swap and hopefully we can minimize it by thinning out any deadbeats.

In the meantime, PM me with any names that have completely stiffed you and I'll "reach out" to them.

Based on the messages I've seen here it looks like people are still working on getting these beers out. Given that we won't be drinking them for a while I think it a little early to call people out just yet. It is a good idea to send out some reminders though.
I guess I am one that prefers to give people the benefit of the doubt.

However I did make sure that all my beers were received in April and that everyone knew they were coming. Its also polite to let people know their beers arrived safely.

Craig

Thanks, Biermuncher, for being my "muscle". ;)

Given that we won't be drinking them for a while I think it a little early to call people out just yet. It is a good idea to send out some reminders though.

I agree, and I'm not terribly worried about people who don't have "box in hand" yet -- it's the people that have received no communication whatsoever that I am worried about.

to my peeps...mine are going out this week. sorry i've been slacking...i've been working 12 hour days and just not had time for ANYTHING else, including brewing :(

but rest assured...i'll definitely get mine out this week, hopefully tomorrow.

..I think it a little early to call people out just yet.

I agree with the benefit of the doubt...as long as there has been some effort to communicate.

I'm concerned with those from whom we've heard nada, zip, zilch, zero...bupkis.

I've reviewed the recent comments and checked out the list of participants and see where certain members haven't even been on line for over a month.

Making a casual commitment to a swap and then going incommunicado is not right. Especially when those same folks have beer showing up on their doorstep.

If you have not heard anything from your sender...PM them, Email them, etc...

If you have tried and received no response, it's time to name names.

I have PMs from everyone. What I am going to do is check with the key hodler for my North Carolina addy this weekend to see if any boxes show/ have shown up. Then I'll PM.

I don't see calling anyone out before the end of May really. I do want my beer, but if it ships at the end of May still plenty of time for it to arrive and rest up from the trip before I get around to opening it.

I have PMs from everyone. What I am going to do is check with the key hodler for my North Carolina addy this weekend to see if any boxes show/ have shown up. Then I'll PM.

I don't see calling anyone out before the end of May really. I do want my beer, but if it ships at the end of May still plenty of time for it to arrive and rest up from the trip before I get around to opening it.

I'm with you on that P. btw; Everyone should take a lesson from you on packing and shipping. Your bottling was first class too. Can't wait to try your RIS.

I get large, square-shaped pieces of dense/tough bubble wrap almost daily at work (Apple spare parts - the boxes they ship in) and so mine were overoveroverwrapped. I had to force my boxes closed. ;)

I've PM'd all my recipients, but just in case, my beers will be going out this weekend. Sorry for the delay, my upcoming transfer to Portland has kept me out of town most of the past month.

To all the PDX'rs out there, what are some good beer stores and homebrew shops in town?

The weather is getting hotter.

For those who have not shipped yet, the last thing you want is for your 6-month old RIS to sit inside a 154 degree UPS truck over the weekend.

Plan your shipping accordingly and let's get those bottles out to their new owners before we're in the dog days of summer.

I've PM'd all my recipients, but just in case, my beers will be going out this weekend. Sorry for the delay, my upcoming transfer to Portland has kept me out of town most of the past month.

To all the PDX'rs out there, what are some good beer stores and homebrew shops in town?

Homebrew Shops:

FH Steinbarts
http://www.fhsteinbart.com/

Main Street Homebrew
http://www.mainbrew.com/

Beer Stores:
It rains good beer here. You can buy it anywhere. Oregon doesn't have the package store thing for beer, just liquor.

The weather is getting hotter.

For those who have not shipped yet, the last thing you want is for your 6-month old RIS to sit inside a 154 degree UPS truck over the weekend.

Plan your shipping accordingly and let's get those bottles out to their new owners before we're in the dog days of summer.

I'm still 1 for 3. Can my guys give me an update? No biggie, just wondering.

Thanks
KD

I'm sampling one more right now, and I'm finally satisfied that this beer is carbonated to a point where it doesn't need more attention. I should have them out next week.

Back