.06.06.06 Tweak....???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimsawyer

Reaction score
Instead of 5lbs light DME and 1.5 lbs honey, would 7lbs Light malt exract(syrup) work? 1-3lbs DME = $13 1-1lbs DME =$5 (X2=$10) but one 7lbs light malt extract in a tub = $16. I know good beer means superior ingredients, but there is almost a $10 difference there. OR, How much malt extract in a tub would = 5lbs DME? guess I could pour out that amount and just re-seal and freeze that malt extract for another batch-o-beer. The 5 lbs DME is a very expensive venture. :( Also, I notice that the hop schedule for AG and extract differs, by the tune of .25oz chinook and pellet vs whole hop northern brewer. Think I'll just use the AG hop schedule, That wouldn't hurt anything would it? Any suggestions on the extract anyone? Help, I really want to brew some .06.06.06 but don't want to spend $35 on 5 gal when I'm sure it could be done on $27! :mug:

Grimsawyer said:
...The 5 lbs DME is a very expensive venture...Help, I really want to brew some .06.06.06 but don't want to spend $35 on 5 gal when I'm sure it could be done on $27!
$27.00 is not a bad deal for your soul!!!:drunk:

I like numbers...27 / 3 = 9. Turn them upside down and you have 666.

Interestingly enough, Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin all died at the age of...27...coincidence? They all have 11 letters in their names also.:confused:

Actually, if you do not use the exact ingredients the recipe calls for then chances are you won't make the same end product you tried to make.;)

homebrewer_99 said:
...Actually, if you do not use the exact ingredients the recipe calls for then chances are you won't make the same end product you tried to make.;)
OK, fair enough, still. How much LME = X amount of DME? I'm sure it'll be close enough. If we were really splitting hairs the extract version won't yield the same end product as AG anyhow;) I'm sure between brewhouse efficencies 2 batches of the SAME recepie hasn't turned out the same, but they are all close. ;) I hope to get some gear together in a few checks to have an all grain system, but till then all I can do is steep some grains, do partial mashes and rely on extract :(

i beleive the figure is that you use 20% less DME for the equivalent in LME. So you add 20% more LME when converting from DME. Right?

20% is what I have heard as well. I would go with the AG hop schedule. Mine (extract version) turned out not as hoppy as expected but super oaky. When I brew this again I plan to up the hops and be more careful with the oak. Excllent beer though.

Let us know what you do and how it goes.

- magno

Back