0 Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

methusula110

Reaction score
Is this even possible????, starting to wonder if my hydrometer is screwed up. This started at 1.072, used wlp099 High Gravity yeast. This seems impossible to me1.000. Any help would be appreciated,

You got a reading of 1.000 after fermentation?

It certainly is possible for wines (wines will go to .990) and ciders and possible in beers with a lot of simple sugars but it's very unusual. The lowest I've ever had was 1.004, and that was on purpose for a very dry finishing American light lager type of beer.

Is your hydrometer reading 1.000 in plain 60 degree water?

here are my readings

0 Gravity 2.jpg

0 Gravity.jpg

It's hard to see (as it needs to be read at eye level at the meniscus) but it looks like 1.002 to me.

It sounds like either a very very low mash temperature or a lot of simple sugars, along with a very attenuative yeast (or a combination of all three!).

Check it with distilled water. I had a couple missed gravities and then a couple very dry beers before i dawned on me. But my hydrometer was reading 0.990 for distilled water. All made sense at that point.

Check it with distilled water. I had a couple missed gravities and then a couple very dry beers before i dawned on me. But my hydrometer was reading 0.990 for distilled water. All made sense at that point.

I will pick up some distilled water tomorrow. I haven't seemed to have problems before. Weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

What yeast was this? WY3711 finished at 0.999 for me on a very simple saison - 12lb of belgian pilsner mashed at 148F and fermented in the low 80s.

Full discloser, I added the 1.5 DME at 5 days after fermentation. I suspect this is part of my problem.

Full discloser, I added the 1.5 DME at 5 days after fermentation. I suspect this is part of my problem.

That wouldn't account for such a low final gravity. There are non fermentable sugars in DME

wlp099 is very attenuative, but wont get that low, though I've had lagger yeasts go from 1.06 to 1.006.

Did you add any sugar? That would explain a very low FG.

An infection can lower your final gravity, but it usually takes a while to affect the gravity

Arc, I did not add any sugar. I tasted the beer at the above reading and it actually wasn't bad. It's been in the primary for 2 weeks. Maybe I should keg it now.

Arc, I did not add any sugar. I tasted the beer at the above reading and it actually wasn't bad. It's been in the primary for 2 weeks. Maybe I should keg it now.

Can you check your hydrometer in 60 degree tap water? It still should read about 1.000 if it's accurate.

Looks slightly below, water might be 58 deg

I'm seeing......maybe .99999? Maybe .95
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396829863.405461.jpg

Id ssy just high attentuation then. Check your thermometer and make sure you didnt mash lower tham you thought

Any thoughts on cold crashing straight to the keg now? I was going to leave it in the fermenting for a couple of weeks until I got the surprise reading. So, are we agreed that I have an accurate reading of 1.000?

I have the same Hydrometer and looks like and the same problem. 99% of my beers finish below 1010. I recently did a Red Ale with the Wlp002 English strain, mashed at 155, og was 1052 and it still finished at 1006. No clue what the deal is. Rather annoying though.

I've checked my hydrometer in 60 degree water too and it looks good 1.000. No infections or off flavors in my beer using my Sacch equipment. I have no idea.

So, not that I'm super paranoid :)-)), checked again at 67deg and it was 1.000. That's reasonably accurate I think.

Back