0-300 PSI gauge- need help reading it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewmeisterSmith

Reaction score
I came across this regulator for cheap. Only problem is the PSI gauge. 0-300 is hard to read. I'm ordering a new one, but in the mean time, I have two kegs that I'd like to set at 10-12 psi until then. My challenge is figuring out what the lines represent between 0-50. I can only assume that the half way mark is 25 and then half of that is 12.5. So if I come in less than 12.5, i should be okay.(?) We'll if I put it at 12.5, it comes out of the picnic tap more like 15 or 20. So, if anyone out there is familiar with this type of gauge, please help. I dont want to end up with overcarbonated beer. Let me know if I'm reading it correctly.

NOTE: This is not my regulator. I couldnt figure out how to post a picture, only a URL. So I had to do. I'm guessing each tick mark is 6.25. Only my gauge is missing the 6.25 lines.

gauge_300psi_PM_2.png

+1
You will be forever frustrated trying to use that gauge because it won't give you the level of accuracy you'll need for lower pressures.

If you were looking for 100-120 psi this would work. The capillary tube in a gauge of this range would not be calibrated to give an accurate reading for 10-12 psi.

Looks to me like the whole gauge is divided up in 5 psi increments. It just starts around 12 psi (even though it's labeled zero) because it likely won't register anything lower. As mentioned, it's pretty much useless for serving/carbing beer.

I am definitely switching it out this week, but I want to keep my kegs under pressure with what I got for a few days. Agree, that it is worthless for fine tuning.

Back