☕ Coffee ☕: Ingredients, Roasting, Grinding, Brewing, and Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@talldan - get a kill a watt. You can read consumption in watts or amps as you roast and know EXACTLY what your roaster is doing

Talldan, in manual, p1 is 0%, p2 25%, p3 50%, p4 75 %, p5 100%.

In auto the p buttons are all the different modes as I'm sure you know.

I start nearly each roast on p5 manual then play between the others.

It's not uncommon for me to switch between 4 or 5 p buttons during a roast.

Hope that helps. Behmor has done a horrible job explaining these things, in my opinion.

To be more specific though regarding your p1 question, if I recall, p1 auto mode starts at 100% then drops to 75, then back to 100%.

@talldan - get a kill a watt. You can read consumption in watts or amps as you roast and know EXACTLY what your roaster is doing

I actually have one, haven't used it since once of the early roasts. Actually, I think it was the one i swapped with @HarborTownBrewing

To be more specific though regarding your p1 question, if I recall, p1 auto mode starts at 100% then drops to 75, then back to 100%.

That is kinda what it seems like to me. That does not line up with what is listed here:

https://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.behmor3_roast_quality.php
http://www.behmor.com/docs/roast-profiles.pdf

Maybe it's a poorly documented difference between the 1600 and 1600+?

Talldan, in manual, p1 is 0%, p2 25%, p3 50%, p4 75 %, p5 100%.

In auto the p buttons are all the different modes as I'm sure you know.

I start nearly each roast on p5 manual then play between the others.

It's not uncommon for me to switch between 4 or 5 p buttons during a roast.

Hope that helps. Behmor has done a horrible job explaining these things, in my opinion.

That's similar to what I've been doing. I've been starting roasts on 1lb P1 A (assuming that i would get 100% power), switching to P4 (75%) at the browning stage, then P3 (50%) at the start of 1c. This seems to work pretty well. I've found that dropping to P3 before 1c starts leads to very long times to get to 1c. P2 does not seem to be enough heat to actually do much of anything.

There are some charts out there for the auto profiles, but everything changes when you start pressing the plus or minus buttons for the time. I'm a big hater of the presets because the roasts are hard to replicate. But some people swear by it. If you download RoasterThing, you can chart your roast based on the presets and all the buttons you push during the roast. Basically like a manual version of Artisan.

I know what you mean about doing to p3 before 1c, and it pretty much always stalls out my roast. Some beans I have to come into 1c on 75% power or I'll miss 1c. Otherwise, I usually drop to 0% power about 15 secs into 1c, then slowly bring it up through 1c.

Quick tip I learned: if in manual on p5 (for example) and you want to go to p3, press p1 then p3 right away. When you press p1 it quickly kills power then youpress p3 and it goes straight to p3. Otherwise, going to any of the p2-p5 levels have a slight delay until the heat cycle realizes it needs to act on a new level. I believe that occurs every 5 secs. Hope that makes sense. It's saved me a few times from not blowing through 1c.

Whoa, hold the phone! My Behmor has no P5=manual mode! I purchased it in March 2013 however, so I'm going to have to see if there is a firmware update for mine, or an upgrade of some kind. Seems like I did see mention of a newer control panel somewhere. Manual control would be a nice feature to have.

Concerning what the +/- buttons do, there was a long (25 page) thread on CoffeeGeek about it, including input from a very respectful Joe Behmor himself. A quote from there (see http://coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/homeroast/458524?LastView=1433689448&Page=20), "I have just returned from Asia along with Central America and while in Asia I witnessed testing, conferred with engineers, and have indeed confirmed the only way to adjust the full profiles, prior to start, is to press either A, B. C or D. In both the prestart or post start mode, +/- will NOT alter anything except the final leg."

However, that was from back in 2010; perhaps it is no longer true, I'm not sure.

Anyway, I'm glad someone mentioned a manual mode being available. I'll check into it.

Chug, yeah a lot of the Behmor owners upgraded with the new panel. To be honest, I can't imagine roasting without it, but then again I know a guy who uses a two year old unit to sell beans under cottage food law and he wasn't going to upgrade because he already had his routine (opening the door during the roast, sticking a2x4 under the front legs, etc).

It's a fairly minimal cost to upgrade and I understand it's a 10 min process.

But I'd recommend you guys check out RoasterThing and see what kind of change occur during the roast based on the buttons you push - in auto, that is

I see Roastmasters also offers it. Control of drum speed would be interesting, but the manual mode for heating elements is more interesting to me, I think.

Yeah, the manual mode of the 1600+ is what sold me on the behmor. It was the one major criticism of the regular 1600 that held me back from buying it. Of course, it's still far from a perfect machine, but for the price, I don't think it can be beat unless you're willing to get a little crazy with some DIY stuff.

I haven't adjusted the drum speed during a roast. It just toggles between the speed it normally runs at during the roast and the slightly higher speed it normally runs at during cooling. Maybe it would be more of a concern when roasting 1lb batches, but i stick to 1/2lb and 1/4lb. Or maybe I'm missing something entirely :)

I played around with the drum speed one time, performing the same exact roast on an Ethiopian bean - the only difference being the drum speed during the roast. I couldn't tell a difference in flavor. I'm sure there is a time and a place, but I haven't figured it out yet.

I'd roasted a really light Nicaragua last Sunday, and tried it today. It's boring. I really hoped for more, but the flavors were just muted. I'm thinking the beans just aren't great quality, but I'm not sure. I won't be able to try this one again for another week, so maybe another week of rest will make a difference for the better, but I'm unimpressed.

I've got some Ethiopian Harrar I'm looking to roast up a few pound of, but I think I'm going to place another order at Sweet Marias. I want some fruity Ethiopian stuff, so if you guys see anything that looks good let me know.

Burundi's roast like a combo of a Kenyan and guat. Drop it in hot and let it coast. Flog it hard as you can after drying to 1C and cut it just prior so you can get a good stretch; up to 3min. Scott Rao calls this the "S" curve

I played around with the drum speed one time, performing the same exact roast on an Ethiopian bean - the only difference being the drum speed during the roast. I couldn't tell a difference in flavor. I'm sure there is a time and a place, but I haven't figured it out yet.

I'd roasted a really light Nicaragua last Sunday, and tried it today. It's boring. I really hoped for more, but the flavors were just muted. I'm thinking the beans just aren't great quality, but I'm not sure. I won't be able to try this one again for another week, so maybe another week of rest will make a difference for the better, but I'm unimpressed.

I've got some Ethiopian Harrar I'm looking to roast up a few pound of, but I think I'm going to place another order at Sweet Marias. I want some fruity Ethiopian stuff, so if you guys see anything that looks good let me know.

Im not sure a week or more of a rest will get it better, I'm thinking you will be getting towards the end of the best time for them. In general most of my beans start showing a decrease in quality after five to seven days of being roasted. YMMV

Burundi's roast like a combo of a Kenyan and guat. Drop it in hot and let it coast. Flog it hard as you can after drying to 1C and cut it just prior so you can get a good stretch; up to 3min. Scott Rao calls this the "S" curve

I didn't seems to catch the "s" curve in the companion book, so I'm guessing its from another source.

So, as a Noob, I get about half of what you're saying.
Charge to 425, drop and cut power to "coast" (maybe to 60-75%??)
After drying (is that like 250º or closer to 215-220 when water will be "boiled"?) heat back to 100%, and anticipate 1C and cut power just before to coast into 1C for extended "stretch". ( The stretch is 1C or the time after 1C but before 2c ?)

Any particular temp target to eject??

Thanks again!! Roasting later tonight. How long do the Burundi's like to rest before they peak?

I still haven't figured out the Guat's but did three roasts, back to back when I get Artisan working, and blended the beans. One I dropped as it hit 2C, the other well after 1C, and the last just as 1C began to peter off. So far its tasting really really good. Have only 1/2 lb left. I still am not sure what I'm doing with them. 100% power dropped a bit at 355 and then bumped a bit at 1C briefly then back down. Fan I ramp from about 250º starting at 25% and then bump up slowly to 100% as I get toward 1C basically continue to add fan speed as smoke begins to rise.

(one of) Artisan's best feature(s) is the slider controls to quickly adjust the settings.

TD

Sorry, TD. I meant Willem Boot but got mixed up. I'm on my phone so can't get into details b/c it's a pain. I can't help you much on specifics anyway as I don't know your roasters behavior. As with all advice/guidelines, you'll have to tune it for your system and taste.

Page 4 illustrates the "S" roasting curve. It can be quite tricky to manage on an electric roaster. Boot uses my dream roaster for sampling/developement; the SF-1.

https://bootcoffee.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Ruling1_reprint_Mar04.pdf

Thanks!

Looks like I need a sub to that mag.

I seem to have lost the ROR display from showing on my last roast. Need to read up on the Artisan usage.

The new heating element definitely seems to put out more energy that the previous. Not huge, but it is noticeable, in terms of smoke production. Either that or the filter is in need of replacement (Est 25 roasts and I rinsed it once but with little noticeable change in appearance).

TD

Im not sure a week or more of a rest will get it better, I'm thinking you will be getting towards the end of the best time for them. In general most of my beans start showing a decrease in quality after five to seven days of being roasted. YMMV

Yeah, typically with my roasts I like them between 2-5 days old, but this was a really light roast so I wanted to let it rest a while longer. I've had light roasts like this before and it just tastes grassy and very green for the first 5 or 6 days. This most recent one I had tasted okay after 8 days, but nothing special.

I'm thinking it's a bean issue - all the flavors are there, they are just really messy. Going to be at a weekend family reunion with about 24 people; I'm considering just roasting up 3 lbs of this bean and taking it to the reunion to serve to people each morning, just to get rid of it. As it stands, I'm not crazy about the bean, so maybe it'd be better served if others drank it.

Ok. I think I might try ordering from Bodkacoffee and save on shipping to FL from Alabama instead of California. I like that SMs has rated coffees, and proven track record with so many.

So has anybody tried any current Kenya offerings and able to make suggestions? It's one of my favorites, and I'd like to stock up on a go-to coffee. I also really like this Arabian Mocha Java Saini roast from Peet's if I could find something like that. I've never been a great big fan of the Central American and South American stuff. However, I am now enjoying that Guatemala pea berry that came with my roaster that I somehow managed to figure out how to roast properly. I think I've just crested the twenty roast mark so still lots to learn.
Have a hodgepodge of other stuff from a sampler pack, plus I did buy some Colombian and Guatemalan from SM when I saw some that looks promising.

TD

I don't have a lot of Kenyan experience, but I had a Kenyan AB+ from Theta Ridge that I liked. It wasn't spectacular or anything, but was about $3.40/lb so it was a great value. Those are usually the types I try to take into work. Just a thought. Their shipping wood probably be $15 but their prices are low enough it's probably still a good deal.

Well I must've missed the two Kenyans and the boatload of Ethiopia beans at SMs. I placed an order for 15 pounds of them, mostly Ethiopian, because the description sounded like those were the better bean. The Kenyan was AB and spendy. I'm am not sure what the difference between ab and aa is, but I think I'll wait for some aa Kenyan beans before buying a significant amount.

SM has a nice $9 flat rate shipping which to me helps make up for the higher prices. I find it hard to try going to another seller with their awesome write ups and commitment to the truly special and worthwhile beans. I've got to give the. Credit for that, and not just listing what they have and a price, like some other sites I've seen.

TD

AA vs AB is a distinction of size, AA being bigger. Not necessarily better, though.

SM leaked my credit card info (a bunch of peoples as well), when I wrote them about it, they denied it and told me it wasn't from their site, even though the only time I use my card is through their site. Left a bad taste in my mouth so I took a break. Will try them again though soon.

AA vs AB is a distinction of size, AA being bigger. Not necessarily better, though.

SM leaked my credit card info (a bunch of peoples as well), when I wrote them about it, they denied it and told me it wasn't from their site, even though the only time I use my card is through their site. Left a bad taste in my mouth so I took a break. Will try them again though soon.

Thanks for the info about the ab/aa.

Sorry to hear about the CC. Mine got skimmed at a gas pump about 6 weeks ago. It happens.
I think SM is now PayPal only. That might give you some peace of mind, if nothing else.

TD

Yeah I hear they went PayPal, so I'll give them a shot again once I see some ethiopians for sale that look good. If you find any good looking Kenyans let me know - I'd be up for ordering more.

Burundi is an interesting area for coffee that's starting to emerge after their government released state control and now their coffees are graded for quality before being sold and shipped. We (I work for Counter Culture Coffee in North Carolina) roast and sell a single origin from the Buziraguhindwa region that is simply awesome.

Burundi is an interesting area for coffee that's starting to emerge after their government released state control and now their coffees are graded for quality before being sold and shipped. We (I work for Counter Culture Coffee in North Carolina) roast and sell a single origin from the Buziraguhindwa region that is simply awesome.

thats awesome! are you a barista or do you roast?

thats awesome! are you a barista or do you roast?

Well, kinda sorta. I'm the IT manager and I oversee all of our tech systems. Everyone that works at the company either has a deep background in coffee and is already a certified coffee steward or they have six months to take our training classes and get certified.

We don't have retail coffee houses, and instead sell wholesale and directly via e-commerce. We also have learning centers scattered around the east coast and one in the Bay Area, where we invite the public in every Friday at 10am to learn about coffee and the business and art of it.

We have to learn about coffee sourcing, sustainability and fair trade (which is a huge deal for the company), the science of coffee as well as making and serving it in a commercial setting. It's quite comprehensive and takes a bit of time to learn. The 2013 World Brewers Cup Champion is one of the instructors, as well as other equally talented folks. Seriously, if they weren't so easy to get along with, it would be intimidating.

Funny thing is that there are several homebrewers there, and I've been able to teach them a thing or two about that...there's a lot of overlap, as I am sure you guys already know.

@forrealbeer

Dan Kehn of Home Barista has been raving about working with CCC and Peter Giuiliano and Nathan Brown. I don't frequent that site anymore but I've heard CCC is quite the friendly environment.

Great to see you pop into this thread

Perhaps you can help line up some top shelf green coffee for us to purchase? :D

Thanks guys. Dan Kehn's assessment was pretty much spot on about CCC...it's a really friendly place to work, and one where you're treated very well as an employee.

I spent some time with Nathan Brown today...he's a really, really good guy. These days he leads the Marketing department.

I have forwarded the question in about green beans, and we'll see what they have to say. One thing you guys could do is email the general retail email address ( retail at counterculturecoffee) and inquire about it -- that can move the needle by showing a quantifiable interest in the green products for home roasters. We're definitely not like most companies where those inquiries go into File 86, so a quick paragraph or two might be well worth your time. I would imagine one of the 2-3 guys who handle it will get back to you pretty quickly.

Tried to order a coffee to go, they told me they don't use paper or Styrofoam, so I'd have to take a donated mug. Just a tad too extreme for me!

This place has a pretty big operation going. About 5 employees in the warehouse and they have a 50 lb Diedrich roaster.

I was at a store across the street where I saw this roasters coffee for sale. Checked the roast date on the bottom of the bag, and all the bags were pre-ground, roasted either in September or December 2014. Such a shame to see that stuff on the shelf.

This place has a pretty big operation going. About 5 employees in the warehouse and they have a 50 lb Diedrich roaster.

I was at a store across the street where I saw this roasters coffee for sale. Checked the roast date on the bottom of the bag, and all the bags were pre-ground, roasted either in September or December 2014. Such a shame to see that stuff on the shelf.

Ugh, I see that all the time at the grocery stores around here that stock Intelligentsia coffee. $15 for 12oz of coffee that was roasted three months ago? No thanks, might as well buy cheap stuff at that point.

Tried Intelligentsias Black Cat espresso last night at a place where they sold double shots for $2.75 (good price, right? Or is my baseline out of wack?)

First time since I really understood coffee that I tried that espresso and I really liked it. I couldn't really put a finger on the flavors I tasted, but the wife was quick to identify - it was a proud moment for me haha.

Back