☕ Coffee ☕: Ingredients, Roasting, Grinding, Brewing, and Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It roasts 1kg (2.2lbs) max. Yes it can do it. The sweet spot might be somewhere less than this however. I've only done 2 drinking roasts, so far besides the seasoning roasts (10 lbs). It seems to be able to easily do darker roasts that I was reluctant to try on my HotTop. It has a wonky chaff collection setup but is functional - it spews chaff while roasting however which I hate.
Cooling is more challenging for larger roasts, but I've got a setup for that now.
Overall, I like it. It is in some respects "better" than the HotTop and in other respects "worse", but with potential for future programming to remedy. From a hardware perspective it is rather impressive. I've since added a bean chute to keep beans from flying to the left or right when dumping. It has a sampling port to permit sniffing of the beans. It has a stock cooling tray which is effective (but requires manual stirring unlike the HotTop). It is capable of back to back roasts without a cool down. Can handle a throughput of 100kg/month suggested. Has it own software though it is not as robust as the Aritisan from what I can tell so far. Its manual mode is very easy to use, and can manipulate the controls and watch the roast curve to see whats happening similar to Artisan. It lacks the predictive plotting from what I can tell. Worst part about the roaster is how difficult it is to hear the sounds of first crack. I need to implement a way to monitor this soon. Some are using an inexpensive stethescope modified for high temp.

More to come
RH

I was in MN earlier this week, and decided to get to know the local brew scene by throwing back a few pints.

The next day I woke up with a hangover. After 2.5 pints. That was fairly unexpected...actually really unplanned because I was giving training at 8:30 AM and two hours before the training I couldn't even stand up without holding a wall or chair. Whoops. I felt like I was going to get sick, but luckily didn't.

So, and I really don't drink enough to be hungover often, I decided to have some coffee. Coffee is my hangover saver - usually the shot of caffeine helps pick me up and gets rid of the headache. I made a cup of the Keurig they had in the room and it was like drinking burning cardboard, so that didn't work. I couldn't even stand to drink any of it.

Instead found a smoothie in the lobby and took a few mins to contemplate all the ways I could cancel training without reason, but decided I needed to make it happen anyways. So I took a very cold walk to the building (the cold definitely helped me wake up a bit) and gave the training. It went pretty well actually - except halfway through I was struggling for a word and thought, "I wonder if they know that two hours ago I couldn't even stand up..."

Bottom line - hotel coffee sucks (yeah we knew that) and don't drink too much the night before an important presentation - even when you don't think you've had too much!

Wow! Can I ask, were any of these beers sour or farmhouse beers? Also, do you take any antacids, Pepcid, Zantac, Prilosec or the like?

TD

Nothing sour or farmhouse. One was a extra pale ale, another was a Dortmunder, and then I had half a Scottish ale. I don't take any antacids, at least not with any regularity.

What ya thinkin' doc? Am I going to be okay??? :( :mug:

I tried another bourbon batch,except this time I put the greens in a bottle for two days before roasting. My previous attempt I roasted then aged.

Definitely a difference between the two. With the Bourbon aged greens I'm getting a sort of silky caramel flavor,more bourbon like than the batch where I aged the roasted beans.

I tried another bourbon batch,except this time I put the greens in a bottle for two days before roasting. My previous attempt I roasted then aged.

Definitely a difference between the two. With the Bourbon aged greens I'm getting a sort of silky caramel flavor,more bourbon like than the batch where I aged the roasted beans.

I've had some greens sitting in a bottle since your last post with a few soaked oak cubes, maybe this weekend;)

Have been pulling my roasts, especially Ethiopian, as first crack gets rolling. Took the yirga a minute and 45 seconds past first crack in between first and second crack. Smells like a chocolate milkshake. I need like 3 or 4 different roasts so I can have one for different moods :)

View attachment 1489285881583.jpg

Beans have about 20 hours of rest since roasting, and have been in the bottle for 14 hours.

The beans had a bit of a bourbon smell upon grinding them, but the coffee itself doesn't have any aroma of bourbon (that I can tell). I don't think the bourbon has added a whole lot of flavor at this point, but there is definitely a little vanilla flavor present that I had never gotten out of this bean previously.

I'll post another update tomorrow after an additional 24 hours rest.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1489361994.797566.jpg
Roasted today, now a few days to wait,View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1489362161.456357.jpg

^Doing anything like that under observation always tests your skills. Funny how you do something solo practically blindfolded & so easily get out of your element just by having a conversation.

Fired up the roaster for a couple batches today and wheeled it outdoors since the weather was so nice; Ethiopian & Columbian:

k2ipfm.jpg

2q2hm69.jpg

yp846.jpg

kf4i94.jpg

2q1hoox.jpg

I put this post on the coffee forum, but think that I will get a quicker response on HBT.

Hey all, my first post in the forum and I am wondering about a specific best coffee. That is a good coffee to put in the beer I'm brewing. Originally, I had planned to find some Jamaican Blue Mountain. Back when I lived in the mission district in Fremont CA (Bay area) a little coffee shop sold a cup of coffee that was twice the price of the other coffees. It was Jamaican Blue Mountain and man, I have never had a better cup. Fast forward 20 years and I am brewing a stout beer. I have 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 weeks to figure out what cold brew coffee I am putting into my my coffee stout. Originally, I thought I would use Jamaican Blue Mountain, but then I got sticker shock on that. I am willing to pay 20 dollars a pound for a smooth flavorful medium roast. I would like something that is 100% of a variety, would do well in cold brew and is Jamaican Blue Mountain "like". I will boil the cold brew for 3 minutes with a quarter cup of sugar to sanitize the sugar and coffee I am putting into my beer. This is an important step for beer reasons though I suspect that it is sacrilege for coffee reasons. So any help as to where I can get a pound or so of such a coffee would be great. I think it is asking too much, but I live in the Phoenix metro area and any brick and mortar that someone has personal experience with that could help me would be ideal.

Hmmm, well I'll say this: I would never pay for JBM to be put in a beer I'm brewing, particularly if it's a porter or stout, as all the delicate flavors of that coffee are going to get lost in the beer. If it were me, I'd go with a more "coffee like" coffee, such as a Brazil or Columbian.

The issue with JBM is that it's A) difficult to find B) expensive and C) suspect on the quality front. There became such a demand for it that the highest bidders grab up the absolute best lots, and then the left overs (with defects and all) will get sold to anyone who's left. Typically this means all the good/decent beans are going to Asia, and anything left over is of poor quality and makes it's way to the states.

Why am I mentioning this? Because even if you can find JBM now, it's probably not going to be anything like the JBM you tried 20 years ago.

I had JBM once and found it to be really floral - if that's the sort of thing you are looking for, you may be wise to substitute a Guatemalan, or maybe even an Ethiopian (though it would lack some body). But to try to find JBM you'll probably get stale beans (since they are usually priced around $50 a pound and there isn't a huge demand, the beans sit on the shelf for a long time) and they won't be that great.

Just my two cents, and others may see it differently. Hope this helps, though I'm guessing it's not what you want to hear.

JBM relies on the same hype machine that Hawaiian coffee does. It's all bunch of overpriced, low grown crap. If you want a solid, totally boring coffee like either of those just save your money and buy a good Brazilian.

You guys are crazy for coffee! I absolutely love the stuff; I just wish it didn't make me so jittery. I almost never drink it because of this. I can handle the caffeine level of black tea just fine but coffee puts me over the top. I get all rosy cheeked and anxious. Is there a way to reduce the caffeine kick or are there certain beans that have less?

You guys are crazy for coffee! I absolutely love the stuff; I just wish it didn't make me so jittery. I almost never drink it because of this. I can handle the caffeine level of black tea just fine but coffee puts me over the top. I get all rosy cheeked and anxious. Is there a way to reduce the caffeine kick or are there certain beans that have less?

Drink more. Build up a tolerance (dependence).

I'd draw a parallel between it and some other beverage and it's effects, but for some reason I can't think of what that beverage is...

Darker roasts have less caffiene. At least that's what I heard :) I have no numbers, so that might be hooey.

French roast is what you're looking for. I've switched to decaf many times in my life, when the caffeine just became too much. That only lasts for a month or two though, and I'm back on the drug.

I have tried the swiss water process type decaf coffee from sweet maria's and it was not too bad, but you can tell the difference. It was certainly better than the commercial stuff which seem to have a chemically after taste.

I have heard that darker roasts are lower in caffeine too, if you roast you own coffee you control how dark you roast it so it wont taste burnt. There are also some varieties that are lower in caffeine but I doubt if they are as low as black tea.

JBM relies on the same hype machine that Hawaiian coffee does. It's all bunch of overpriced, low grown crap. If you want a solid, totally boring coffee like either of those just save your money and buy a good Brazilian.

Looks like Brazilian. I'm going to check the archives for recommendations on retailers or brands, unless you guys have a good online source that you trust. The limitations of JBM became obvious when I started trying to find a source. Even then I was concerned that like 20 dollar bills JBM might be expensive enough and cheap enough for conterfieters to want to sell me Folgers for 35 dollars a pound.

Thank you jammin. Still haven't put in thermometer, but need to. I only like ethiopians so far lighter :) but was surprised at how the yirga was like a chocolate milkshake inbetween 1c and 2c. But lighter it was fruity. Either way the png, and kenyan were to adventurous for me taken out in middle of 1c. Soo short story long, roasted my last half pound of kenyan and first pound of new brazillian to 2c. Side note ambient temperature definitely mattered here. In 20 degrees could almost control roast better. Tonight both roasts went quickly from 1c to 2c. Havent had that happen all winter. Wasnt worried about it with the Brazilian or this kenyan anyways. But duly noted for next Ethiopian batch. I like the way they smell darker.

View attachment 1489724137195.jpg

View attachment 1489724150995.jpg

View attachment 1489724164745.jpg

Darker roasts have less caffiene. At least that's what I heard :)

Hello, new to forum, first time posting.

While it is true that the darker the roast the less caffeine in each bean, coffee is measured by weight, not by the number of beans. The darker the roast the lighter each bean weighs therefore it takes more coffee beans to brew a cup of dark roast than to brew a cup of light roast. Caffeine content is similar in each cup.

What makes the most difference in caffeine is the quality of the beans. Low quality robusta can have more than 2 times the caffeine content as high quality arabica.

While it is true that the darker the roast the less caffeine in each bean, coffee is measured by weight, not by the number of beans. The darker the roast the lighter each bean weighs therefore it takes more coffee beans to brew a cup of dark roast than to brew a cup of light roast. Caffeine content is similar in each cup.

What makes the most difference in caffeine is the quality of the beans. Low quality robusta can have more than 2 times the caffeine content as high quality arabica.

Strong first post :mug:

I will give one caveat to this; most people measure coffee volumetrically (i.e by the scoop etc). Darker roasts are inherently less dense per volume, you have less coffee by mass.

The darker the roast the lighter each bean weighs therefore it takes more coffee beans to brew a cup of dark roast than to brew a cup of light roast. Caffeine content is similar in each cup.

Yes, good info. The key is that the majority of coffee drinkers - especially those who have been manipulated by Dunkin and Starbucks to think that Dark Roast is "cool" - don't weigh their beans but instead scoop by the Tablespoon. Thus, with darker roasts they are getting weaker, less caffeinated coffee.

But at least it's bold! :tank:

Thanks for that illuminating post, and welcome to the forum!

Speaking of Darker roasts, those two from last night are much darker today. They have a Sheen like shine to them. And small oil spots can be seen every 12 beans or so. What is surprising to me is how similar they taste. I don't want to call it bad but I'm not going to call it good either. Although I think they will make good espresso for some reason I don't know why I just think that. Even though I don't like the origin flavors as much as the Ethiopian I would take it over these dark roast in a hot minute.

Zimbabwe this morning. Such a unique coffee, very winey and subtle juicy grape flavors. Not an every day drinker but a great change of pace.

http://www.roastmasters.com/colombia3.html

Just a quick cupping follow up on this Columbian. I roasted it a good week+ ago and it's drinking great. It hits all the marks outlined in the notes, especially the brown sugar, raisin, body & silkiness. It needs a couple extra days of rest though but it's worth the wait. Really enjoying this one. I kept it fairly light with a medium roast length.

My buddy and his wife love the dark coffee. I get a kick out of that. Definitely not for me. As i said before what was once fun is now frustrating. With the ethiopian its less an issue, because it roasts so well and pretty much letting it coast as 1c gets started has proven fine for me. But even there, a little darker brought out milkshake flavors. I want to take this Brazilian dark but i am going to error light and sure enough to light for what i was looking for. Counting days till thermometer.

And more on the debbie downer front, since i got the virtuoso i think my coffee pot (the 12 dollar mr coffee) isnt working. Grinder is set on 15 with inside adjustment fine as well. I think it is flowing up and out basket and through body into pot weak ( at least not on floor) anyway wth. Any thoughts? And now the cheap delonghi isnt pulling shots either. They are saying descale it, prime pump, i wonder if its just shat. Good use for the dark roast though experimenting :). Hahaha(delirious laugh) i struck back at the coffee gods though for destroying my garbage equipment with the most humble solution. Cold brew. I am wondering if I want to throw grounds in press or buy 150 dollar bonavita. Thats buy machine or throw grinds in pitcher. Im cold brewing for now. Pics are Brazilian and cold brew dark roast.

View attachment 1490073984734.jpg

View attachment 1490073993586.jpg

Been less active here since company installed wifi filter to prohibit access to websites that promote alcohol.
Nice to see some new folks here.

Bought a book by the founder of blue bottle coffee called blue bottle coffee something or other. It's a really good read for any coffee enthusiast and talks about roasting, growing, processing, brewing, and many other facets of the coffee experience.
TD

" since i got the virtuoso i think my coffee pot (the 12 dollar mr coffee) isnt working. Grinder is set on 15 with inside adjustment fine as well. I think it is flowing up and out basket and through body into pot weak ( at least not on floor) anyway wth. Any thoughts? And now the cheap delonghi isnt pulling shots either. They are saying descale it, prime pump, i wonder if its just shat."

One of the first tests done when servicing an espresso machine is to check the 'water debit'. This is done by placing a pitcher under the water flow coming out of the group (with no portafilter) for a timed 10 seconds. If the water flow is 60ml (~2oz) to 120ml (~4oz) the pump should be OK. If less than 2oz either there is a restriction in the water system or the pump is weak (or not priming).

It sounds like the possibly same problem for both coffee machines, that is setting the grinder by 'number' and not by results. Dark roasts and medium roasts give different grinds using the same'number' on the grinder. Changes in ambient temperature or humidity will change the grind also. Good espresso is a moving target.

Overflowing the basket on a drip brewer or shots that take too long on an espresso machine usually indicate too fine grind (or too much coffee) . If your water debit is OK, try adjusting the grind more coarse until you produce a 2 oz double shot in approximately 25 seconds.

TerryM

Back