$&()@“!?! Insignia

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexKay

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
TWO of the twelve screws holding the lid hinges onto my new Insignia freezer can be removed. The other ten just sit there in that “I’m going to strip out the Phillips head” way and won’t budge. I think I’m going to have to drill them out, or grind the heads off, or something. Not going to be easy. Very frustrated.

The upside is, you won't need to retap them... screwing them into your wooden collar will be much easier. :bott:

Yeah, I figure if I get the heads off I can leave the rest of the screw in there. I’m not one of these “what if I want to convert it back to a regular freezer” folks.

yikes, what a pain:
53B123A3-0BF4-4E58-BE61-9D05FBD3D2E1.jpeg

I didn't bother using the original screw holes when I put my keezer together. The hinges for the lid went into the collar and then I put two pieces of wood at the back to keep the collar from sliding forward. Done deal.

What did you use on those screws? If power tool, maybe you shouldn't have. ;) If you really want to remove those screws, they make extractors that work with drills. You make a small hole in the head and then use the extractor bit to get the remains out of the hole. Leaves the threads intact (if you do it decently). I've used those before on items.

If you ever get a chance to read about how Henry Ford contributed to America choosing Phillips and what Canada uses instead, feel free to Google it.
I read an article in Road & Track a while ago...very interesting!

If you ever get a chance to read about how Henry Ford contributed to America choosing Phillips and what Canada uses instead, feel free to Google it.
I read an article in Road & Track a while ago...very interesting!
Yep! As it happens, I'm putting the keezer together with Robertson drive screws. (Thank you, McMaster-Carr!)

Back