«Looks like I'm gonna have to amputate your beer son...!»

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atreid

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
...said the doctor...

Split my ESB wort into two fermenters:

12 L in a 23 L glass carboy with Safale S-04.
18 L in a 32 L PP plastic bucket with WLP002.

Let it ferment for 2 weeks or so.

Opened both to throw in vapor sterilized muslin bags filled with Fuggles pellets as dryhop (hops added after the sterilization of course) (dryhopped the primary).

Sanitized everything that touched the wort when I opened the fermenters. Took a sample from both.

I was expecting S-04 to dry out more, but got FG 1.012 for both (OG was 1.057).
Both samples tasted fine... WLP002 actually tasted a tad better.

Let the dryhop just a tad more than I was planning for, but only like 10 days total.

Yesterday I prepared the sugar solutions for both and stuff...

... and then I opened the PP plastic fermenter to transfer to the bottling bucket... :drunk:

...and then I closed it again... and bottled only the carboy instead...

It's batch #19... Pitched two fresh vials into 18 liters wort, still underpitching at LITTLE bit but basically, it's the first time I didn't do a starter with liquid yeast... got too confy I guess...

At least I still have 12 liters bottled...

I plan on dumping everything in the toilet and even throw away the fermenter... Maybe this 2 years old PP plastic fermenter isn't that great...

Still... that kind of suck... :(

Infected-Crap.jpg

Looks like Brett. Could make for an interesting beer. I'd let it ride and bottle later - you want the Brett to eat what is wants (it eats slowly) before bottling to avoid bottle bombs

You're kidding with that photo right?

That's a NOODLE man. This looks like casserole!

Like pjj stated, don't throw it out. Seal it up and let it ride, you may end up with something wonderful. You just never know

I'm afraid the photo is the real deal... :p

I'm reluctant to even let it sit there... If I try to bottle it somehow I'm thinking I'll ruin my bottling cane forever... I hear Brett brewers have dedicated equipment...?

atreid said:
If I try to bottle it somehow I'm thinking I'll ruin my bottling cane forever... I hear Brett brewers have dedicated equipment...?

This is a great opportunity to get into sour beers. Keep the fermenter and make it sour only and a bottling cane isn't that hard to replace. Just set that bucket and forget it. Try it in 6 months or so. You may have stumbled into something great. No reason to get rid of it!!

Yah well problem is that I really dislike sour beers... It's pretty much the only style I can't stand.

Nevertheless, I have space in the basement so I guess it doesn't matter if I throw it away now or in 6 months. Could be an interesting experiment... ;-) I'll just gently move it away from my work area...

Thanks for the opinions...

Haha! It looks like a bucket of paint! Sorry to hear about your situation. Even if you don't like sours, you could submit it to a competition in 6 months or so. Wouldn't that be cool? A total disaster turned Gold Metal.

Another option is to bottle in 6 months and sent me a couple 12 packs. I happen to really enjoy sours :)

Latest posts

Back