To harvest the yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gauthierk

Reaction score
With 4 brews under my belt using the brewers best kits, I'm fixing to move over to the all grain side of the tracks. I also want to attempt to harvest yeast for batches to try and tweak my brews. What is the method that is easiest and most effective in getting the yeast out of a 6.5 gallon carboy after primary fermentation is done?

Well, I have been reading and see the forums on washing, and so fourth. I kinda have a good handle on what the pricess is for taking care of the yeast once it's out of the carboy. My problem is, getting it out of the car boy. My last two batches I made two attemtps using some of my custom engineering. Needless to say my fiance got a good laugh and I had to shower shortly after. BIG MESSES. I didn't know if someone had a tried and proven method for getting it out.

Another question related to this. I have all four of the tubes that I purchased the yeast in. Right after pitching, I cleaned and filled them up with my sterilization stuff to keep them clean. Can I use these for holding my yeast cultures or is that a bad idea?

gauthierk said:
...I kinda have a good handle on what the pricess is for taking care of the yeast once it's out of the carboy. My problem is, getting it out of the car boy... ...my fiance got a good laugh and I had to shower shortly after. BIG MESSES. I didn't know if someone had a tried and proven method for getting it out... ...Can I use these for holding my yeast cultures or is that a bad idea?
You can reuse the vials. Are you taking the yeast from the primary or secondary? Take it from the primary.

I don't quite understand your comments about the mess other than you are doing something the rest of us do not do and are making a mess.

Just swirl your primary to mix up the trub and any remaining beer you did not transfer to the secondary and funnel it into a gal jug to start your washing.:D

Well, this is what I tried to do... I transferred the beer from the primary to the secondary using my one pump primer <best purchase so far> and had my trub sludge in the bottom of the carboy. I tried a balancing act of having the carboy upside down while trying to catch the yeast in a steril glass bowl to then transfer into the tube I use to test my gravity. Being the off balance person I am, I ended up wearing the trub and yeast. So my question would be then, do I swirl before I transfer to get all of that stuff into the secondary to be later left behind and just try to pour out the yeast? And as far as washing, should I mix up some DME to mix the yeast with so they will go to sleep in my fridge happy little full belly yeast?

gauthierk said:
Well, this is what I tried to do... I transferred the beer from the primary to the secondary using my one pump primer <best purchase so far> and had my trub sludge in the bottom of the carboy. I tried a balancing act of having the carboy upside down while trying to catch the yeast in a steril glass bowl to then transfer into the tube I use to test my gravity. Being the off balance person I am, I ended up wearing the trub and yeast. So my question would be then, do I swirl before I transfer to get all of that stuff into the secondary to be later left behind and just try to pour out the yeast? And as far as washing, should I mix up some DME to mix the yeast with so they will go to sleep in my fridge happy little full belly yeast?
No, no, no...i don't think you're undertanding the process.

After you rack your beer to the secondary the slurry in the primary is what needs to be washed.

Swirl it to mix the beer and yeast together. Pour it into a gallon jug and add 2 c sterile water. The water thins out the slurry as well as washes the beer off of the yeast. Now do a search on the process because I don't feel like writing it up again...gotta go, it's getting late.

Once you wash your yeast DO NOT ADD ANY MALT...that'll just wake it up again. Use the washed yeast as a starter next time.

homebrewer_99 said:
After you rack your beer to the secondary the slurry in the primary is what needs to be washed.

Swirl it to mix the beer and yeast together. Pour it into a gallon jug and add 2 c sterile water.

Actually, the swirling to mix part and the pouring it out of the carboy part are a lot easier if you pour the water into the carboy first.

gauthierk said:
Another question related to this. I have all four of the tubes that I purchased the yeast in. Right after pitching, I cleaned and filled them up with my sterilization stuff to keep them clean. Can I use these for holding my yeast cultures or is that a bad idea?
I just saved some yeast this morning from the primary fermentor. I would not use the vials from White Labs because they are too small. I use a mason jar. The yeast is just beginning to separate in the jar and I will use it next week.
yeast.jpg

I'm doing my primary in a 6.5 gallon carboy and a 5 gallon for my secondary... As a matter of fact, next time I make it to my LHBS i might get an additional 5 gallon so I will have a backup for when I do my barley wine. I did some reading and checked out the links and think I have a good handle on the whole process... I have one more question. How effective would it be to sanatize an injector needle with a BIG syringe and suck out the yeast's middle layer to cut back on possible trub and weak yeast collection?

gauthierk said:
I'm doing my primary in a 6.5 gallon carboy and a 5 gallon for my secondary... As a matter of fact, next time I make it to my LHBS i might get an additional 5 gallon so I will have a backup for when I do my barley wine. I did some reading and checked out the links and think I have a good handle on the whole process... I have one more question. How effective would it be to sanatize an injector needle with a BIG syringe and suck out the yeast's middle layer to cut back on possible trub and weak yeast collection?
You haven't been paying attention.:mad: If you wash your yeast there is nothing left but yeast and water.

After the yeast falls out you can pour off most of the water, remix the remaining yeast/water mixture and pour it into a smaller container.:D

I got it now... I am fixing to do a 4 batch back to back and am going to get my yeast from the LHBS and use what I get out of my first primary to do the other three. Now for my final question on this matter... I harvest the yeast, put it into a mason jar and into the fridge it goes... How long will this yeast be good for???

Why wash yeast? Is it possible to make more yeast from store bought amount before ever fermenting?

I actually just tried washing the yeast for the first time. After I racked my APA to 2ndary, I did the whole slosh, cool, separate thing... it worked great! I guess it helped that I strained all the hops and other stuffs when I put it in the primary in the first place, but there was hardly any trub in the mason jar... mostly just yummy yeast! So, it's sitting in my fridge now waiting for another batch.... I'm strating to get impatient so it won't be long before I wake it up again!

Blender said:
I just saved some yeast this morning from the primary fermentor. I would not use the vials from White Labs because they are too small. I use a mason jar. The yeast is just beginning to separate in the jar and I will use it next week.
View attachment 187

where are you storing the mason jar? I just swirled and emptied my primary into a large masonry jar - now what? cellar temp, room temp or refrigerate? Thanks you have been most helpful.

NEPABREWER said:
where are you storing the mason jar? I just swirled and emptied my primary into a large masonry jar - now what? cellar temp, room temp or refrigerate? Thanks you have been most helpful.
I pour the mixed up yeast and such from the primary into a 2 quart glass pitcher. Put that in the refrigerator for about 3o minutes and you will see the separation of the trub and yeast. Yeast is on the top and then I pour it in the mason jar.

OK, here's a q:

Swami asked about getting some scottish from me, but I didn't save any when I emptied the primary. It's still in the secondary. Now, I should be able to just pull some beer from the secondary, toss it in a starter solution, get a good starter going and create a decent cake, right?

Or you could wait until you bottle or keg out of the secondary and wash the yeast cake that will remain at the bottom of the secondary.

This is what I'm currently using to ferment my cider with and I had a REALLY good initial fermentation.

Here's a picture of the cider after 24 hours:

Cheesefood said:
OK, here's a q:

Swami asked about getting some scottish from me, but I didn't save any when I emptied the primary. It's still in the secondary. Now, I should be able to just pull some beer from the secondary, toss it in a starter solution, get a good starter going and create a decent cake, right?
From the bottom of the secondary with a starter should work pretty well. If you use yeast from the bottle then I would think you would have to step it up a couple of times to get a good cake. I have never done it either way.

omniscientomar said:
Is that electronic equipment behind your primary?! Brave man...

Not to make you feel bad, because I'm sure you didn't know, but I am currently living in a FEMA trailer while my house is being repaired after being 'affected' by hurricane Katrina, so my space is VERY limited. I'm actually lucky to be brewing/cidering at all at this point.

Also, I've been doing this for awhile, so there is no real danger. I was surprised that the cider came up through the airlock, but there was nothing explosive about it.

Brew on!

:mug:

Back