Krausen or something else

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONNYROTTEN

Reaction score
I made this beer around 3 weeks ago. I never opened it up for a look till now. This is what I found. It "looks" like krausen that never completely dropped out. Then again it looks pretty funky. I took a spoon and scraped off all the crap on top. Then I took a sample. The sample looked pretty clear and actually tasted pretty smooth and was quite good so I dry hopped.

Do you think there's reason for concern?

20170513_165446_resized.jpg

looks like gunk that never dropped out. cold crash it for three days and i bet it'll drop to bottom. If it tastes good. drink it!

How would a conical prevent floating yeast rafts? :confused:

It won't what he said was "you'll never see them."

Meaning you won't see something that is scary.... and you'll then stop worrying about every little weird thing you'll see, forgetting that ALL fermentation is ugly, stinky and strange looking, and utterly normal and hard to mess up.

Over the years you would not believe how many WTF is this "Thing" on top of my beer/is my beer ruined?" Threads from people who, even though they've done countless brews fermenting in a bucket, freak out for the first time after they decide to by a Carboy to ferment in.... They may have never actually seen a krausen before, especially if they do the "pitch and walk away" thing, trusting their yeast, and don't open the bucket to peak and hover over everything like a parent. So the first time the look over to their clear fermenter and see what fermentation looks like they actually freak out.

Ahh, I completely misinterpreted.

I want a conical but I really like seeing the yeast at work. At least that's what I tell myself... truth is it's hard to justify a bigger fridge to ferment in!

I made this beer around 3 weeks ago. I never opened it up for a look till now. This is what I found. It "looks" like krausen that never completely dropped out. Then again it looks pretty funky. I took a spoon and scraped off all the crap on top. Then I took a sample. The sample looked pretty clear and actually tasted pretty smooth and was quite good so I dry hopped.

Do you think there's reason for concern?

View attachment 400427

Did you use StarSan?

Back