Wheat with Amarillo??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarleyWater

Reaction score
Tastes pretty damn good if you ask me. I like the citrusy flavors of amarillos, but not the intensity that the orange comes through in wits, so I compromised and used amarillos in my wheat.

Result, the most refreshing brew I have made to date. Nice crisp flavor with a smooth palate and light citrus flavor and aroma mixed with a little clove.

This is a very inticing brew, one I would recomend highly to anyone for this summer (it's already warm here, so I brewed it for spring). And with amarillo being much easier to find than the nobles for traditional weizens, why not a new twist on an American wheat?

I had a little Tet left over, but I'm sure if you subbed it out for all amarillo or perhaps cascades it would come out great.

Check out My Recipes for the recipe, Am-Wheat.

These guys agree:

dspGumballhead.jpg

http://www.threefloyds.com/images/dspGumballhead.jpg

I agree - gumballhead is excellent!

Very nice, refreshing citrus notes. And I believe they hop it a bit more than most wheats, but its not so noticable b/c its so smooth and crisp... It's definitely one of my favorite, if not my favorite, American wheat.

I love Amarillo hops in almost anything!! :ban:

Good, it's not just me with an obsession with Amarillo hops!!! Gumball is one of my favorites also, just a bit tricky to find. I just had another beer at a festival that I could have sworn had a ton of Amarillo. It's Ithica Brewing Company's Flower Power. Awesome, awesome beer. Turns out it's Simcoe and Palisades.

Anywho, I'll definately have to try your recipe. Thanks for posting it up!! :mug:

And here I though that I was being innovative, but I guess it's all been done before by someone. It's a shame I can't get Gumballhead (or any Three Floyds beers) here, but if it is like mine, it must be good.;) Maybe next wheat I will try Simcoe, I really like them in my IPA's.

I'm a huge fan of Gumballhead, 3Floyds, etc, and of amarillo hops, which I just used in an IIPA.

I dry hopped my dunkelweizen with cascade, turned out nice. SWMBO likes it more than I do.

Back