Help, is this ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redtab78

Reaction score
I brewed this yesterday, and pitched a starter of Wyeast Northwest Ale, and woke up to this, this morning....I cleaned it all up and replaced the blowoff bung, but it keeps blowing out the top....is this ruined?

I know I put too much in there, I normally decant the starter, but I didn't this time and just poured the whole starter in which left very little head space...lesson learned...now I just wanna save this beer as i feel like it was my best brew to date hitting every mark, and an og of 1.062....

20160521_093326.jpg

Nope... forget the air lock and bung and go buy some 3/4 or 1" clear plastic hose Star san it and jam in top and form a seal with tape or whatever ..stick other end in small bucket 1/2 full of star-san...Once Krazen drops replace with air lock and bung again. This is a quite normal occurrence you will be fine.

Can't see in this pic, this is a plastic carboy, had a #10 bung with blowoff on it already, a 1" hose is too small, but I have an extra bung...can I drill out the extra bung and Jam a 3/4" hose in it? Or will it be a waste?

Can I tape the bung down so it will stay in?

Yes it is ruined. In 2 weeks keg it and send it to me for proper disposal. On second thought, after 2 weeks dry hop it then send it.

No worries. Leave a bit more head space next time.

As mentioned above make sure to keep the temp down so as not to make it worse and avoid off flavors. Then RDWHAHB while watching the video below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't see in this pic, this is a plastic carboy, had a #10 bung with blowoff on it already, a 1" hose is too small, but I have an extra bung...can I drill out the extra bung and Jam a 3/4" hose in it? Or will it be a waste?

Can I tape the bung down so it will stay in?

Yes you can, and that should do just fine. You still may want to tape it all down to the bottle though and not just rely on a press fit of the bung to hold it in place.

Back