Belgian - what is it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayfro21

Reaction score
I have been trying to put together a Belgian brew for a few weeks, and tomorrow I am finally brewing to celebrate finishing my 2nd year of medical school. Well, my recipe fell apart when I went to the LHBS, and so this is what I came up with. Please tell me what you think it might be like, and what I can do to improve it. I really wanted Special B to go for more of a Belgian Strong Dark Ale, but they were out of it, as well as aromatic malt. Here is the new recipe:

13 lbs Belgian Pilsner
1.0 lb Belgian Biscuit (to replace aromatic)
.5 lb caravienna (instead of special b, which in NO way replaces its flavor)
.5 lb carapils
2 lbs sugar (I am going to make belgian candy syrup) - added with 20 min left
2 0z hallertaur (4.1) @ 60
1 oz czech saaz (4.0) @ 15

Big starter WLP-500

The hop schedule could easily change, this one gives me right around 35 IBU, which is at the top of pretty much all the styles. It also gives me an SRM of around 7-8. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Jason

one of the great things about belgians is their flexibility with regards to classification. without seeing or tasting this one, i'd probably use some combination of the words, "golden" "pale" and "strong" to describe it.

looks tasty!

You could use the darkest crystal available to replace Special B, it won't give the exact flavor, but you will get some raison-y, dark fruit flavors that are associated with Special B.
I wouldn't use Carapils for any Belgian brew, even though they are flexible, they have one thing in common: dryness, and Carapils will add body.

i would suggest adding your sugar at high kreusen, instead of at boil. this is the best way to avoid stressing the yeast and creating fusels and other icky flavors. be prepared for a blowoff.

Back