Slowly ramping mash temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueHouseBrewhaus

Reaction score
I saw an interesting mash schedule in the BYO 250 Classic Clone Recipes. For the Westmalle, they recommend slowly ramping the temp up during the mash. It says "...ramp time should take at least an hour ...". A longer ramp up is even better for a more fermentable wort.

Has anyone done this? I did a search and found nothing. I'm getting ready to do a BDSA and I think I may try this. I'm looking at ramping from 131F to 158F over 75 min. Then a quick ramp up to mash out and sparge. I'm doing BIAB on my stove. It will mean a $hitload of stirring but I'm interested is seeing how it works.

A lot fo traditional Belgians are made with a slow ramping mash. It supposedly gives a nice rocky head and very fermentable wort. Personally, I dont think its anything you cant accomplish with a single step low temp mash and a strategically built grain bill. Ill occasionally do a ferulic acid rest for a few things, but if you need to be stirring all the time with your setup id just screw it

I saw an interesting mash schedule in the BYO 250 Classic Clone Recipes. For the Westmalle, they recommend slowly ramping the temp up during the mash. It says "...ramp time should take at least an hour ...". A longer ramp up is even better for a more fermentable wort.

Has anyone done this? I did a search and found nothing. I'm getting ready to do a BDSA and I think I may try this. I'm looking at ramping from 131F to 158F over 75 min. Then a quick ramp up to mash out and sparge. I'm doing BIAB on my stove. It will mean a $hitload of stirring but I'm interested is seeing how it works.

I was also going to try this if you beat me to it let me know

I wouldn't ramp slowly from 131F. I'd do a very quick protein rest at 133F (if doing one at all), then raise quickly to saccrification rest temp, say 147-148. Then, I'd very slowly ramp from there to 158 and finally to mash out.

I have not tried the slow ramping thing, but IMO, the primary factor that helps make the beer dry is TIME, not temperature. If you dork around with the temperature for 75 minutes, sure, your beer will be relatively dry. But I think you'll get an almost identical result if you just mash at 148-152 F for 75 minutes, and don't fart around with temperature ramps. It's a lot easier that way. But if you find the extra dorking around to be fun, then by all means, do it.

If you're using fully modified malts, I'd dough-in at 140F, and slowly ramp to 158F, then mashout at 168F (for a ramp mash). For a step mash, depending on style and desired mouthfeel, I'd dough-in somewhere in the low 140'sF, rest for 20 minutes, step up to the low 150'sF, rest for 45 minutes, then step up to 158F, rest for 10 minutes, then mashout at 168F.

Fully modified malts have already undergone beta-glucanase, peptidase, and proteinase rests in the malt house; and doing those rests again in the brewhouse may be detrimental to mouthfeel and head retention. Acid rests aren't as predictable as using Lactic or Phosphoric acids in measured amounts, so I would recommend doing that instead as well.

that does tend to happen. I'll give my last piece of advice before it happens:
I'd just mash a BSDA at like 148 with a single step, then mashout in your case. I've had a lot of +8%ish Belgians that are just way too sweet at the finish to be enjoyable. Other option is to mix yeasts together in hops of getting higher attenuation. A bit of WLP566 did a great job pushing my Belgian Strong Ale past 10% but keeping the finish nice and crisp. Its ester profile also didnt steer it into saison flavor territory

*runs away*

Oh, okay, thanks. Go ahead, Bridge Keeper, I'm not afraid. My favorite color is blue, no wait, actually cobalt blue.

If anyone can help ensure things get locked, it's me. :rockin:

Lots of great input. Thanks everyone. I've done Belgians with single step 148 mash and some with as many as 4 steps (infusion) from 122 to 160. I've done them with simple 2 grain recipes and with 4 or 5 grains. They have all turned out well and they've all been different. I guess I'm just curious how this "ramping mash" would effect the final result.

I don't know enough about how grains are malted to know what mash steps may or may not be necessary. I'm assuming the BYO recipe was written with modern malts in mind. It's not an old historic recipe. I don't think experienced professional brewers would recommend a process that would actually be detrimental to the brew (but, then again, I've been wrong before).

Well, I think I'll sleep on it and see what I think tomorrow. I'll let you know if I decide to go ahead.

I realize that decoction mashes aren't "necessary" with today's highly modified malts, but why do so many Belgian brewers still do them if they should stay above 140f? I'm going to be doing a Bohemian pilsner and was going to use a decoction for extra fermentables.

Well, I did a little more research and found a couple more references to mash ramp up. Everything I read seemed legit so I went ahead and did it. Not sure I would do it again since it was a lot of work for possibly little benefit. I guess the end result will tell.

I mashed in at 131F. I do stove top BIAB with my bag in a fryer basket. I set the stove at a med-low setting and stirred A LOT. I also agitated the basket a lot to be sure the wort circulated through the grains. I monitored the temp outside the basket and in the grain bed to be sure I was getting good mixing. The temp rise was not linear. It was slow to start but by the time I hit 140, it became more regular. I hit 158 at about 90 min and held it for a bit. Then I cranked it to high and hit 168 in about 10 min for mash out. I do a jury rigged fly sparge by hoisting the grain basket and setting a perforated HD bucket in the top of the basket. Sparge takes 30-45 min. While I sparged, I removed a gallon of wort and started boiling it down to syrup. I added this back into the boil later to pick up the carmelization.

OG came spot on at 1109 for 4 gallons. At that gravity, I couldn't do a full 5 gal. It maxed out my system. I pitched a big starter (decanted) of 3787 and it took off within 2 hours. I've got a blow off in and 4" of krausen so far. Holding at 66F for a few days and then I'll ramp up. I'll keep you posted.

All in all, unless this beer is amazing, I doubt I'll do the full ramp up again. Too much work. I may do the schedule that Yooper suggested as a compromise. Or I may go back to a single or infusion multistep. We'll see.

I realize that decoction mashes aren't "necessary" with today's highly modified malts, but why do so many Belgian brewers still do them if they should stay above 140f?
Who says you have to mash below 140F to do a decoction mash? You can do a triple decoction and never rest below 140F. Besides, many of those breweries in Europe doing decoction and ramping still use undermodified floor malt.

I'm going to be doing a Bohemian pilsner and was going to use a decoction for extra fermentables.
You can buy undermodified Pils malt if you're set on doing a protein rest.

Well, I did a little more research and found a couple more references to mash ramp up. Everything I read seemed legit so I went ahead and did it...I mashed in at 131F...
Be careful about what you read out there. Anyone telling you that you should mash anywhere within the beta-glucanase, peptidase, or proteinase temps without specifying undermodified malts is leading you down the wrong path.

I don't know what the deal is with this love affair people have with protein rests. It's an old process for using older traditional style malts. If you're using fully modified malts (as most are these days) and wanted to do a triple decoction, for example, do this:

dough in @140F, rest, decoction 1 --> 150F, rest, decoction 2 --> 158F, rest, decoction 3 --> 168F (M.O.)

Be careful about what you read out there. Anyone telling you that you should mash anywhere within the beta-glucanase, peptidase, or proteinase temps without specifying undermodified malts is leading you down the wrong path.

Part of what I read was that most (if not all) Belgian pilsner malts available are less modified. Maybe that's why the ramp up was recommended. I guess I missed that distinction. My recipe was mainly Belgian pilsner.

The greatest rendition of my tried and true recipe an "americanized" English brown ale has the sophisticated and scientific mash schedule. Add grain (10lbs) to 70F water and bag inside 8 gal mlt/kettle, fill mlt to the top once grain is in, place mlt over hot camp fire for 4 beers time, at which point your mash temp will be 168. remove bag and boil/hops etc. Hope this all made sense. This was my most relaxed brewday ever didn't worry about a thing, turned out to be one of the best beers I've made.

Part of what I read was that most (if not all) Belgian pilsner malts available are less modified. Maybe that's why the ramp up was recommended. I guess I missed that distinction. My recipe was mainly Belgian pilsner.

Where are you reading this stuff? Castle and Dingeman's Belgian Pils malts are two of the most popular with homebrewers and both are fully modified, so just a heads up there.

I'm not trying to annoy you, but I hate to see people following internet myths and either fall short of potential or outright ruin otherwise good beers. Please trust me on this one.

Here's what I'm saying: first, ramping/stepping/decoction is a separate topic than protein rests. The two are not exclusive nor dependent. You can do a step, ramp, or decoction mash with any kind of malt, however, when using fully modified malts (as are 95% of the varieties available to homebrewers), do not do a protein rest. No matter what you read, doing so would be your own prerogative. This comes down to the difference between "can I?" and "should I?" Check datasheets for each variety of malt you use. Know what kind of mashing schedule is required to get the most out of your malts.

Why? Well, one answer is that that rest has already been done at the malt house. What does that mean? The protein chain reductions have been done to appropriate levels already, and utilizing beta-glucanase, peptidase, or proteinase enzymes with a protein rest will further reduce these protein chains. These proteins are largely responsible for mouthfeel and head retention.

I'm not annoyed. Just confused I guess. I considered many of the folks on HBT to be pretty knowledgeable. Not to mention BYO recipes and articles and folks like Denny, Kai, Marshall and others. Even Godot's link above about Marshall's comparison between single and multi-step mashes seems to be at odds here. His multi-step was essentially a ramp up that started at 113F and spent close to an hour in protein rest territory while taking 4 hours to ramp up to mash out. His results seemed to be pretty good.

I'm honestly not trying to be difficult or dense. I'm just trying to see what kind of results I can get with a different process. The sources I've read seem to be knowleable people (see above) who suggest that the ramp up can yield a more fermentable wort and possibly bring out some different characteristics from the grains, without being very specific about their degree of modification.

I'm willing to give it a try. If I end up with headless, thin dreck, I will know they were wrong. Or they may be right. Or it may not matter. Either way, I'll have learned something and I will tuck that in my book of knowledge. As much as I love beer, it's still just beer and the world will go on even if I screw up.

I still think we're not quite on the same page yet about the distinction between step/ramp mashing and protein rests. I'll try to clear this up best I can.

I'm not annoyed. Just confused I guess. I considered many of the folks on HBT to be pretty knowledgeable. Not to mention BYO recipes and articles and folks like Denny, Kai, Marshall and others. Even Godot's link above about Marshall's comparison between single and multi-step mashes seems to be at odds here. His multi-step was essentially a ramp up that started at 113F and spent close to an hour in protein rest territory while taking 4 hours to ramp up to mash out. His results seemed to be pretty good.

I hear ya, but anybody who knows what they're talking about would hopefully not recommend a protein rest with fully modified malts. Did any of those sources specify modified malt? If not, and they are considered credible, perhaps they were using under-modified malt (which is available by the way). They are absolutely right about step/ramp mashing for saccharification rests, however (more on this later). Also, I don't trust anything from "exbeeriments" as scientific data. Even when working out statistical significance of the evaluation step, it does not legitimately draw any scientific conclusions. It's interesting and fun to read about, but I trust peer reviewed scientific data and scientific principles far more than that. The consensus within the brewing science community is pretty clear on this issue; protein rests with fully modified malt are likely to be detrimental to the finished product. I'm not the only brewer aware of this fact, just ask John Palmer, from How to Brew:

How to Brew said:
"Fully-modified malts have already made use of these enzymes and do not benefit from more time spent in the protein rest regime. In fact, using a protein rest on fully modified malts tends to remove most of the body of a beer, leaving it thin and watery. Most base malt in use in the world today is fully modified."

This is also iterated in an article from BYO Magazine called The Science of Step Mashing:

BYO said:
"The degree to which gum and protein degradation has progressed is called modification. These days, most malts are fully modified. The glucans and proteins are degraded to a point that brewers only need to convert the starches in the grain* to make good quality wort. Undermodified malts are those in which modification has stopped short, essentially leaving the brewer to complete those tasks in the brewhouse. If a malt is undermodified, it will clearly say so in the name. For example, Briess makes a malt called Less Modified Pilsner Malt. Conversely, if a malt name does not mention its level of modification, it’s fully modified.

Unless you have a very good reason — for example, if you know you have a high-protein malt on your hands — avoiding a rest in the 113–128 °F (45–53 °C) range is probably prudent as you will potentially avoid any problems with head retention."

*Note that this is not limited to single infusion mashing. I do multi-saccharification step mashing all the time

I'm honestly not trying to be difficult or dense. I'm just trying to see what kind of results I can get with a different process.
Absolutely. I don't think you're being difficult at all. For some reason, I've taken interest in you and your issue here. Perhaps because I was fortunate enough to have been offered mentorships from professionals starting over a decade ago that helped get me to where I am today, and I like to pay it forward. Or the fact that in the past I've also tried various methods and tested principles such as the one you're interested in and can verify the claims I'm advocating here.

The sources I've read seem to be knowleable people (see above) who suggest that the ramp up can yield a more fermentable wort and possibly bring out some different characteristics from the grains

Yes, that is true! I do step mashes for all my lagers (Pilsner, Helles, Märzen, etc.), hybrid ales (Kölsch, Alt, Cream Ale, etc.) and even my Irish Stout. But the important distinction here is that since I'm using latest generation modified malts (as likely are you), I dough-in at 140F to skip the protein rests, then step mash for multiple saccharification rests. I get the increased extract efficiency, better attenuation, more complex mouthfeel, and (IMO) better overall product (some can't tell much of a difference, some can). Like I've said before, by all means, do a step or ramp mash, just don't do a protein rest. Are you guaranteed to ruin the beer if you do? No, not necessarily. You're playing the odds, though. Results will vary from different maltsters and even different lot numbers from the same maltster, but you have to ask yourself "should I?" rather than "can I?"

I'm willing to give it a try. If I end up with headless, thin dreck, I will know they were wrong. Or they may be right. Or it may not matter. Either way, I'll have learned something and I will tuck that in my book of knowledge. As much as I love beer, it's still just beer and the world will go on even if I screw up.
That's part of what makes homebrewing so attractive; you can do whatever you want. You don't have customers, accountants, investors, or distributors to answer to. If you try it and like it, keep doing it. If you feel like it could be better, try something else. I strongly encourage step/ramp mashing for appropriate styles, or any style for that matter. It won't be as noticeable in something like an IPA or RIS, but if you're like me and many others, you'll notice it in something like a Pilsner or Kölsch. Here are some of my recommend examples (which can vary a tad depending on style):

For fully modified Pilsner malts: 140F --> 150F --> 158F --> mashout (168F)

For under-modified, floor malted Pils malts: 131F --> 145F --> 158F --> mashout (168F)

And believe me; these aren't just pulled from some brief Googling - I've been doing this for years.

Best of luck!

I do appreciate the time you're taking to thoughtfully respond (instead of flaming me) so I'm going to take advantage of it and pick your brains a bit.

First, I do understand that ramping up and a protein rest are two separate topics. Even though my BIAB setup gives me the opportunity to do a temperature mash (i.e. ramp up), I've only done one other several years ago. If I do multi-step mashes, I've always just done infusion step mashes.

My understanding (seemingly mistaken) was that the top end of the temp range for a protein rest was just under 130F. My next possibly mistaken assumption was that certain malts, primarily pilsner and wheat, benefited from a rest at about 131F and then sacch rest somewhere between 148 and 156 depending on the profile you want. Is this accurate? I've always done a rest at 131F for these. That's why I started my ramp up there for this BDSA with Belgian pilsner. Does this have any benefit (or detriment) for either wheat malt or pilsner?

If a grain is called "floor malted" does that always mean it's undermodified? I've seen the term on some on the grain bags at my LHBS but never really thought about it.

There are a lot of recipes on this site and elsewhere that call for a rest in the low 130's. Almost none of them specify undermodified malts. I have a number of my recipes that call for this rest for wheat beers, lagers or pretty much anything with pils. Should I shift these to a 140F rest? Just to be clear, when I say wheat I mean malted wheat, not torrified or flaked.

I've never noticed an issue with head or mouthfeel with my multi-step mashes but I'm also not a BJCP judge. If a simple change in mash schedule can help me make better beer, I'll take it any day. Thanks for the education.

My understanding (seemingly mistaken) was that the top end of the temp range for a protein rest was just under 130F.
There are of course a few different enzymes that apply to "protein rests." Proteinase is the enzyme most active at higher temperatures relative to the others. The optimum range for this enzyme is 122F-138F. Typically a rest intended for this enzyme is done somewhere around 131F-136F. Like all enzymes involved with mashing, it will remain active (although not efficiently) at higher temperatures until it denatures. Think of the temperature range for enzymes as a gradient, which overlaps with the enzymes that are active both below and above its optimum temperature range.

Edited to add: This is why temperature still matters for single infusion mashing. Beta and alpha amylase have an overlap, and are both active at single infusion temperatures. Beta amylase conversion is more prevalent in the 147-154F range than it is in the 156-160F range. Not that beta amylase works slower at those higher temps, but that alpha amylase works incredibly fast at those temps and will convert more of the starches before beta gets a decent chance. The two do not work the same, either. Beta works slower, but does a "neater" job and cuts starch chains into nice mono- and disaccharides that are easily fermented by S. cerevisiae. Alpha amylase works quite fast, but is "sloppy" and just rips through starch chains, leaving more polysaccharides that are less fermentable by S. cerevisiae. The desired balance between fermentability and body of the resultant beer is what dictates the temperature at which you rest your mash, which dictates the proportional activity of alpha and beta amylase.

My next possibly mistaken assumption was that certain malts, primarily pilsner and wheat, benefited from a rest at about 131F and then sacch rest somewhere between 148 and 156 depending on the profile you want. Is this accurate?
As stated in my previous post, unless your particular malt specifies that it is under-modified, it is assumed to be fully modified. In which case any protein rests are not recommended. Wheat malts do tend to have higher protein content, but fully modified wheat malts still do not require a protein rest. If you are using unmalted wheat, then beta-glucanase and proteinase rests are recommended.

As for the sacch rest(s), that will be up to the brewer to determine what rest(s) they want to achieve their desired result. Generally speaking, saccharification occurs between 140F-160F. The actual range of activity for beta and alpha amylase is a bit wider than that, but that's another topic. If you are doing a single infusion rest, choose the temperature that you feel will reflect an appropriate balance between beta and alpha amylase. If you want to do a step mash, you can choose your beta rest, a combined rest, and an alpha rest (or any combination of these). If you're doing a ramp mash, strike in the beta amylase range, then slowly raise the temperature through the alpha amylase range, into a mashout (168F).

I've always done a rest at 131F for these. That's why I started my ramp up there for this BDSA with Belgian pilsner. Does this have any benefit (or detriment) for either wheat malt or pilsner?
It most certainly can be detrimental unless it says anywhere on your malt sack (or better yet - the malt house datasheet) that it is under-modified. I doubt you are using under-modified malts unless you either set out to buy them or bought them on accident.

If a grain is called "floor malted" does that always mean it's undermodified? I've seen the term on some on the grain bags at my LHBS but never really thought about it.
Not always, no. For example, I use Warminster Maris Otter malt frequently, which is floor malted (it says so on the sack). It is, however, fully modified and suited for single infusion saccharification. If you're not sure, ask to see the datasheet on your malt from your LHBS, or you can look it up on the maltster's website.

There are a lot of recipes on this site and elsewhere that call for a rest in the low 130's. Almost none of them specify undermodified malts. I have a number of my recipes that call for this rest for wheat beers, lagers or pretty much anything with pils. Should I shift these to a 140F rest? Just to be clear, when I say wheat I mean malted wheat, not torrified or flaked.
Yes. Regardless of what other recipes say, skip the protein rests when you are using fully modified malts. And indeed that does include your typical (fully modified) wheat malts.

I've never noticed an issue with head or mouthfeel with my multi-step mashes but I'm also not a BJCP judge. If a simple change in mash schedule can help me make better beer, I'll take it any day. Thanks for the education.
It's quite possible that you haven't noticed any detriment, and for many reasons. Look at it this way; as you pointed out, you're not a certified judge. Maybe you couldn't tell the difference and others might have. Or perhaps the difference might have been more obvious if you had a control sample to compare it to (same brew, but without the protein rest). You also may not have held the protein rest long enough for serious degradation of medium length protein chains. Or, although not as likely, you may have gotten a slightly less modified batch of malt (this is very rare from the larger producers).

If you stay above 140F with your fully modified malts, all you need to concern yourself with are your saccharification rests and the lautering process. I promise that you'll get all the great benefits of step mashing without having to worry about the mouthfeel or head retention. Here is an example of a recipe of mine using a step mash starting at 140F that won a first place award in a competition. Go ahead, give it a try!

Thanks for hearing me out. Hope this helps!

The temperature range breakdowns really help. I'm realizing that a good deal of my misunderstanding of the various active temp ranges for the various enzymes comes from Palmer's "How to Brew", which was one of my go-to sources when I first started brewing several years ago. A lot of my (mis)understanding of mash schedules came from there and from his handy enzyme/temperature chart in Figure 79. I never really re-examined it after that. It seems that information is dated.

Again, thanks for the crash course in brew chemistry. That was never my favorite subject in school. I will adjust my recipes accordingly.

The temperature range breakdowns really help. I'm realizing that a good deal of my misunderstanding of the various active temp ranges for the various enzymes comes from Palmer's "How to Brew", which was one of my go-to sources when I first started brewing several years ago. A lot of my understanding of mash schedules came from there and from his handy enzyme/temperature chart in Figure 79. I never really re-examined it after that. It seems that information is dated.
Indeed, that is a tad off, but not by much. Give this article a full read. There are just a few things that I would challenge from this article, but it's pretty thorough, and will hopefully help clear up any further questions. If not, post your questions here.

Again, thanks for the crash course in brew chemistry. That was never my favorite subject in school. I will adjust my recipes accordingly.

Ironically, I did well in chemistry in school and have an engineering degree, but I never really liked chemistry. It was brewing that really got me into chemistry. Now I love it.

Cheers :mug:

I have an engineering degree, too (there seem to be a lot of us on here), but mine was civil. I could analyze the loads on your carboy but I couldn't tell you the chemistry going on inside it :confused:

I strongly encourage step/ramp mashing for appropriate styles, or any style for that matter. It won't be as noticeable in something like an IPA or RIS, but if you're like me and many others, you'll notice it in something like a Pilsner or Kölsch. Here are some of my recommend examples (which can vary a tad depending on style):

For fully modified Pilsner malts: 140F --> 150F --> 158F --> mashout (168F)

For under-modified, floor malted Pils malts: 131F --> 145F --> 158F --> mashout (168F)

So what would be the recommended time schedule for a 140-150-158 step mash for a Pilsner or Kolsch style?
Do you have any specific recommendations or experiences using the Schill Cologne Kolsch malts (for Kolsch) or using a step mash for czech pilsners?
Thanks for the above post,
I appreciate the quotes and content, it takes time and effort to pull all that together

I have an engineering degree, too (there seem to be a lot of us on here), but mine was civil. I could analyze the loads on your carboy but I couldn't tell you the chemistry going on inside it :confused:

I'm a chemical engineer by degree, although I don't use it a whole lot as a design engineer at a nuclear power plant, or in brewing. But yeah, engineers seem to be drawn to the brewing process like flies to the zapper. And for some reason, the computer geeks (I.T.) guys, too! About 3/4 of my local homebrew club is just by coincidence comprised of engineers and IT guys from many different companies. It's funny how this works.

So what would be the recommended time schedule for a 140-150-158 step mash for a Pilsner or Kolsch style?
There isn't really an official standard, and almost no wrong way to do it - almost. The better you understand the chemistry, the better you as the brewer are going to make use of the reactions in the mash. Like all reactions, enzymatic activity is proportional to temperature (until denaturation occurs). So you'll need take that into account when figuring conversion time in each rest. The step mash is like a recipe in itself; in the end you want a combination of different sugars in different amounts in order for the wort to ferment the way you want, and have the mouthfeel you want with it. So, for example, I wouldn't do the same step mash for a German Pilsner as I would for a Kölsch or a Czech Pilsner. This said, here's what I do for a German Pilsner:
Pils_mash_II_zpsqdaouuxz.jpg

This is from my award winning German Pils recipe posted here.

Do you have any specific recommendations or experiences using the Schill Cologne Kolsch malts (for Kolsch) or using a step mash for czech pilsners?
I've only used "Kölsch malt" once, and that was about 9 or 10 years ago. If you want to know what I do for a Kölsch, my award winning recipe is posted here.

A Czech Pils is a whole other beast. The uniqueness of these beers is that they capture a crisp finish in a fuller bodied Pilsner. Copying the Czech's techniques is extremely difficult at home, but we can emulate it. I've done decoctions in the past, but I didn't feel the result was worth the added time and frustrations. I just do all my mash ramping with my eHERMS. I usually do something like this:
  • 142F for 20 minutes
  • Ramp to 158F over about 20 minutes
  • Hold at 158F for another 30 minutes
  • Mashout at 168F
This gives me the FG of a Czech Pils (usually 1.012 - 1.013), but still maintains that crisp finish that you just can't get from single infusion mashing. You have to get creative with the malt bill, too. I don't just use all Pils malt. Sorry, I don't post my Czech Pils recipe here. :(

Thanks for the above post, I appreciate the quotes and content, it takes time and effort to pull all that together
You're absolutely welcome. Glad to help.

Back