First cloudy beer. Why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zippox

Reaction score
Well I have extremely cloudy beer. It's a first for me. Hoping to see what others think of why it turned out that way.

Made the Zombie Dust clone.
  • At flameout added 4 oz Citra
  • Let cool for 25 minutes down to 171
  • Added 4 more oz Citra
  • Let sit for an additional 25.
  • Used a counterflow chiller while draining the beer into the bucket which brought it down to 64 degrees.
  • Fermented it with US04 for 13 days (last three days I bumped the temp up from 64 to 70 to maximize the hop flavor and aroma)
  • Cold crashed the beer for 4 days.
  • Bottled like normal.

The difference between this beer and the last IPA that I made are simply these two things:
  1. I did the flameout hops which I let cool from 212 down to 171 for 25 minutes. And also added more hops @ 25 minutes after turning off the heat for an additional 25 minutes
  2. My last IPA I transferred to a glass carboy at day 10 and then did my normal 3 day dry hop schedule followed by the 4 days of cold crash and that one turned out very clear. And this one I didn't transfer it to the secondary.

cloudy.jpg

Looks good to me...many professionally brewed hop bombs have that same hazy "breakfast juice" look. In fact Zombie Dust itself has a haze.
3floyds-zombiedust.jpg

Would not worry about it!

Yup deff hop haze! When I brewed the zombie dust clone per Skeezers recipe it came out clear for me but with the extra hops and whirlpooling I get a lot hazier.

Latest posts

Back