INISBC 913 Brett Barrel Yeast III

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rupert130

Reaction score
I have just started a secondary with this yeast, but I can find very little info on this yeast strain. The inisbc.com website has some useful stuff, but I would like to source experience from the community at large. They are a local Denver company and only in a few brew shops to my knowledge. I have used their Saison Farmhouse strain and 2.5 gallons of that is what the Brett is currently working on. I plan to do a primary fermentation with this yeast in the future. I will update this thread when I have some results to share.

Cheers!

I have and they have been helpful, but I would also like to source information from the homebrewing community. The yeast banks are great, but we wouldn't have nearly the info available if not for forums such as this. Many homebrewers like to experiment and can provide amplifying information on yeast behavior in different situations. I apologize for not being clear about my intent.

I have it in a batch now but it's only a few days old. I have been told its SOURCE *hint* you'd be wise to read some of CHADS info on using brett.

It would be a great primary strain. It will likely be more towards the fruity side then barnyard funky

I figured it was Chad's strain. The batch in secondary is only 9 days in, but I have seen steady, slow activity in the airlock and the beer. Nothing spectacular. Fruity aromas are apparent. I saved some of the starter I made to re-use this as a primary fermenter in the future. I look forward to reading your experience with the strain.

Bottled the batch today. Tastes fruity and funky. Has an Orval quality to the flavor, but fruity-er. This is warm and flat, so I am looking forward to trying it once it has conditioned. I am pleased with the results so far.

Edit: Also, the yeast dropped out of suspension very well over 60+ days of conditioning at around 60°F.

I have it in a batch now but it's only a few days old. I have been told its SOURCE *hint* you'd be wise to read some of CHADS info on using brett.

It would be a great primary strain. It will likely be more towards the fruity side then barnyard funky

Any results yet?

I pulled a taste last night, no readings, just for flavor.

I am not getting way too much brett yet (4mos), no pedio ropes either (inlands pedio). There is a bit of fruity notes in the back, could be the brett. I also used dregs from an ETF beer, nit sure what brandon used in that. It is, however, VERY sour. I used the wyeast pc lacto. Hopefully the brett does some work over the next year, if not this will end up on fruit or dry hops to gain character

The Saison Brett is now fully carbed and it is wonderful. The brett has transformed it into something crisp, tart, fruity, and slighty musty. I'd call it a win for my first use of brett

Good to hear it turned out well. If you keep some around for a while, I'm interested in hearing if it changes over time. A friend of mine that lives in Denver brought me a vial a couple weeks ago. I'm planning on using it in a dark sour. I'll primary with it, then inoculate the secondary with lacto and pedio.

Mind sharing what base beer you used this in?

Looks like rupert130 did a brett saison

The base was in fact a saison. I used the INISBC 291 Saison Farmhouse strain in my primary. That fermented down to 1.004 before I added the Brett. After 3+ months , the gravity was unchanged. The Brett worked its magic on the flavor profile though. Crisp, slightly tart, tropical fruit notes, and what I can only describe as musty. I really enjoy it.
As far as process, I did a 1L starter for a week. I saved 500mL and pitched 500mL of active brett.

I plan to cellar and periodically sample bottles to see how the flavor changes

**Update**
The guys at the local homebrew club really enjoyed it. They were able to sample the brett beer and the saison that was the base. All agreed that the brett completely changed the flavor profile.

**Update 2**
A sommelier buddy of mine sampled the brew and tasted "toasted banana and lemon peel" in there. Needless to say that the brett adds a lot of complexity.

So I brewed a batch yesterday and pitched Brett Barrel III. I went with a base beer similar to a Baltic Porter, hoping to get something similar to Nightmare on Brett. I'm using 913 for primary, then I'll pitch some lacto an pedio in secondary. Gotta say, this stuff is pretty crazy...it's been a very active fermentation.

So I brewed a batch yesterday and pitched Brett Barrel III. I went with a base beer similar to a Baltic Porter, hoping to get something similar to Nightmare on Brett. I'm using 913 for primary, then I'll pitch some lacto an pedio in secondary. Gotta say, this stuff is pretty crazy...it's been a very active fermentation.

Can't wait to hear how it turns out!
I plan to use this strain for a 100% brett fermentation of an APA later this summer (August). I've heard brett fermentations can produce pretty clean beers.

Brewed an APA on 8/15/2015. The fermentation is still ongoing, which is no surprise as the American Sours book says that brett fermentations can take 21 days to complete. It is already under 1.010 from 1.050. Tastes incredibly tropical fruity. Hops are Amarillo and Cascade.

Good to hear it turned out well. If you keep some around for a while, I'm interested in hearing if it changes over time. A friend of mine that lives in Denver brought me a vial a couple weeks ago. I'm planning on using it in a dark sour. I'll primary with it, then inoculate the secondary with lacto and pedio.

So 3+ months down the line the tropical fruit is totally gone. It leaves a thin, bitter beer. Very little funk. I will keep some around for another 6 months or so and periodically sample to see if funk develops and makes it more interesting again. As it is now, it is not pleasant to drink at all.

Brewed an APA on 8/15/2015. The fermentation is still ongoing, which is no surprise as the American Sours book says that brett fermentations can take 21 days to complete. It is already under 1.010 from 1.050. Tastes incredibly tropical fruity. Hops are Amarillo and Cascade.

It finished at 1.008 and is now kegged. It is fruity with some tartness.

So my understanding is most Brett strains tend to ferment pretty clean without much barnyard funk unless you use sach in the primary. So if you did a 100% ferm with this yeast that's probably why you're not getting much funk.

I haven't tasted mine for about a month. I racked mine to secondary and added my house sour blend (Roeselare plus a variety of commercial dregs) so I know I've had some flavor contribution from my blend. It had lots of dark fruit character plus pie cherry in mine. I didn't get any odd bitterness, at least not yet.

To address body issues, I used flaked oats in my recipe to try to ensure it had decent body. I also mashed fairly high (156F). Assuming Gravity is stable, I'm probably going to try to bottle mine after I get back from GABF.

Back